Thread poster: Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Anne-Marie Gerritsen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:53
English to Dutch
Feb 10, 2017

Please, don't say Trados Studio because that's an open door
I do wonder though which programs you use to open files like that.

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
I use CafeTran Feb 10, 2017

Until a certain amount of segments it is also free, then you need to buy it but it's VERY affordable
I also know about Fluency, but I never tried it.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Deja Vu, absolutely! Feb 10, 2017

I have been translating in sdlxliff files in Deja Vu X3 for more than five years now and enjoy the benefits DV offers regarding easy term and TM handling and the genoius on-the-fly AutoWrite feature, which is still superiour to any other autocomplete function other major CAT tools offer.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Interesting ... Feb 10, 2017

Matthias Brombach wrote about Déjà Vu:

the genoius on-the-fly AutoWrite feature, which is still superiour to any other autocomplete function other major CAT tools offer.

That sounds very interesting. Could you please give some examples of AW suggestions that wouldn't have been presented by any of the other CAT tools?

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Superiour handling ... Feb 10, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:
That sounds very interesting. Could you please give some examples of AW suggestions that wouldn't have been presented by any of the other CAT tools?

... to be more precise, in contrast to similar features of the MAJOR CAT tools (Studio 2017 and memoQ), which still need a preparation of TMs and to train "Muses" to benefit from their autocomplete features.
Cafe Tran may be similar (or even better, I don´t know), but it still does not belong to the major CAT tools.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Okay, I was OT Feb 10, 2017

You need a tool just to open and edit them:
Did you try QA tools like Xbench or QA Destiller in case you do not want to use a CAT tool?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Anne-Marie Feb 10, 2017

Anne-Marie Gerritsen wrote:
[What's the] best CAT tool to open Trados files? Please, don't say Trados Studio because that's an open door

What do you mean by "open door"?

Except for Trados RTF, only Trados itself can generate the final file from the intermediary file. So if your client created a TTX file from a DOCX file, then you may be able to translate or edit the TTX file, but you won't be able to generate the translated DOCX file without Trados.

AFAIK, only Trados can open TMW files (and I know of no converters), and only Trados can open SDLTM files (but there are some converters available (e.g. to TMX)).

Only WFC can open Trados RTF files, AFAIK. There are a number of tools that can open TTX files, but some of those tools require it to be in untranslated-bilingual format. Quite a few tools can open SDLXLIFF files. Even so, usually only some content from the SDLXLIFF file is visible in the other CAT tool (e.g. comments and tracked changes may not be visible). I know of no tool that can save an SDLXLIFF file with tracked changes added.

MemoQ can open Trados forward packages in SDLPPX format, and generate return packages. I don't think any other tool can open Trados forward packages in SDLRP.WSXZ format, nor generate return packages for it.

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:53
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Fluency Feb 10, 2017

I confirm about Fluency.

Samuel, you are wrong that no other tool, except MemoQ, can work with Trados project and return packages. For the past several months, I have received .sdlppx files from a new client and have delivered .sdlrpx files, i.e project and return packages – it seems there is no problem.

Comments, generated by Fluency in an sdlxliff file, could not be read in Trados when I made a test with a prospect in September last year according to their feedback
... See more
I confirm about Fluency.

Samuel, you are wrong that no other tool, except MemoQ, can work with Trados project and return packages. For the past several months, I have received .sdlppx files from a new client and have delivered .sdlrpx files, i.e project and return packages – it seems there is no problem.

Comments, generated by Fluency in an sdlxliff file, could not be read in Trados when I made a test with a prospect in September last year according to their feedback. I do not know which version of Trados they used at that time.
Collapse

Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I will try! Feb 10, 2017

Serena Basili wrote:

Until a certain amount of segments it is also free, then you need to buy it but it's VERY affordable
I also know about Fluency, but I never tried it.

That's what I call helpful advice Thanks a lot!

Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that one too! Feb 10, 2017

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I have been translating in sdlxliff files in Deja Vu X3 for more than five years now and enjoy the benefits DV offers regarding easy term and TM handling and the genoius on-the-fly AutoWrite feature, which is still superiour to any other autocomplete function other major CAT tools offer.

Sounds like a great tool, I will definitely try it!

Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
No, not yet Feb 10, 2017

Matthias Brombach wrote:

You need a tool just to open and edit them:
Did you try QA tools like Xbench or QA Destiller in case you do not want to use a CAT tool?

but sounds like an idea as well

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What are Trados files? Feb 10, 2017

What do you mean with "Trados" files?

What file format are you referring to and what do you mean with "open" the files?

Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, you're right Feb 11, 2017

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

What do you mean with "Trados" files?

What file format are you referring to and what do you mean with "open" the files?

I agree there are many different file formats so to be more specific: I have 2 files, one is a .docx.sdlxliff file and the other one is a .doc.sdlxliff and either one of them I can't open in any program so far. I don't know if the extension as a whole is the problem or what so that's why I ask.

I had a zip folder sent and the files in there don't have any problems.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Tracked changes Feb 11, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

I know of no tool that can save an SDLXLIFF file with tracked changes added.

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 12.31.07

From: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/45794

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I've been working with sdlxliff files in CafeTran... Feb 13, 2017

...and it was very convenient. I can also work with Trados but in some cases I import a Bilingual Excel file in Trados and open the target sdlxliff in CafeTran and work there before sending it to Trados again.
The advantage with CafeTran is: I can filter a very large TM to only reduce it to the segments I actually need for my project which makes the search much faster, and CafeTran has some matching features beyond Trados that are more convenient for me (although maybe not for anyone). For
... See more
...and it was very convenient. I can also work with Trados but in some cases I import a Bilingual Excel file in Trados and open the target sdlxliff in CafeTran and work there before sending it to Trados again.
The advantage with CafeTran is: I can filter a very large TM to only reduce it to the segments I actually need for my project which makes the search much faster, and CafeTran has some matching features beyond Trados that are more convenient for me (although maybe not for anyone). For the time being I consider the pure translation features of both cat tools equivalent in quality and usability.
The file transfer between the CAT tools happens without any loss whatsoever.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-13 16:36 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best CAT tool to open Trados files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »