Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Translator Mary Hobson decided to learn Russian at the age of 56, earned PhD at 74
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Post hidden: The author has been asked to edit this post in line with site rule
Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Russian Apr 25, 2016

Cyrillic is the easiest part of it, I agree. Pronunciation is very hard. Grammar is the hardest. Even verbs have a gender (only in past tense, though).

Russian is beautiful but hard to pronounce. Much harder than, say, Croatian (another beautiful language).

All languages are beautiful for those who can appreciate them. There are, however, harder languages to learn and Russian is one of them.

Oh, and spelling is a nightmare. If you've been in, say, Moscow
... See more
Cyrillic is the easiest part of it, I agree. Pronunciation is very hard. Grammar is the hardest. Even verbs have a gender (only in past tense, though).

Russian is beautiful but hard to pronounce. Much harder than, say, Croatian (another beautiful language).

All languages are beautiful for those who can appreciate them. There are, however, harder languages to learn and Russian is one of them.

Oh, and spelling is a nightmare. If you've been in, say, Moscow area, they pronounce most of the "o" as "a". Therefore, you really have to know the stem of the word before you can write it correctly. This is not about Cyrillic; rather this is about correct spelling. Croatian, Serbian and other languages of the same subgroup (which I don't speak but which I very much would like to learn at some point in my life) are spelled as they are spoken. Not the Russian language. Even natives make some mistakes.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Max Chernov
Mr.Q

George Luca
George Luca  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
German to Romanian
+ ...
Language learning Apr 26, 2016

My favorite language learning story is about Heinrich Schliemann (a visionary archeologist and a talented linguist), narrated in C.W. Cream's story of archeology published in English as Gods, Graves and Scholars.
It is worth reading it, as it also describes Schliemann's amusing method to learn foreign languages (Russian and many others).

P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator Mary Hobson decided to learn Russian at the age of 56, earned PhD at 74

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »