Lorena Croci
Lorena Croci  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:07
Member (2014)
English to Italian
Sep 30, 2015

Hi everybody,
I was just looking forward starting usind SDL Language Cloud by I feel uncomfortable about privacy.

I just wanted to know if using a Cloud breaks the rules about privacy, i.e. those included in nda, for example.

Thank you

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:07
English to Thai
+ ...
Terms of Use Sep 30, 2015

Lorena Croci wrote:

I was just looking forward starting usind SDL Language Cloud by I feel uncomfortable about privacy.
I just wanted to know if using a Cloud breaks the rules about privacy, i.e. those included in nda, for example.

Please read the terms of use here:

https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-services/terms_and_conditions.asp
http://www.sdl.com/about/terms.html

Soonthon L.

Michael Bailey
Michael Bailey  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
MT / Cloud avoidance in a financial supervisory authority... Sep 30, 2015

My employer's IT security guidelines are exceptionally clear on data being sent to cloud storage and/or use of MT solutions - in a single word "DON'T!"

Despite all claims to the contrary regarding IT security made by MT providers, the nature of the texts that I translate are the precise reason why I sit in-house rather than freelancing for my employer - because they don't want data leaving the building other than to its intended source.

When the Europea
... See more
My employer's IT security guidelines are exceptionally clear on data being sent to cloud storage and/or use of MT solutions - in a single word "DON'T!"

Despite all claims to the contrary regarding IT security made by MT providers, the nature of the texts that I translate are the precise reason why I sit in-house rather than freelancing for my employer - because they don't want data leaving the building other than to its intended source.

When the European Commission granted me a trial access to its MT@EC service, they were very quick to advise that end-to-end security of the connection could not be guaranteed and therefore to test the system I anonymised the sample translation units. But that had a problem of impacting the translation to the point of it not being usable (e.g. substituting an amount like €3.7 bn with [AMOUNT] or €x.x bn or a company name with say XYZ GmbH).

I would personally advise that if you do intend to use an MT solution that you check with your customers on an individual basis whether they are happy with you doing so. In my previous time as a freelancer, one of my customers was particularly keen to ensure that I did not use cloud storage - other than co-located storage on their premises (which entailed me having to take my laptop into their IT department for the setup purpose!).
Collapse

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 08:07
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Stick with Standalone Sep 30, 2015

Most agencies specifically prohibit use of external hosting MT so I never imagined selling the information for free (or you pay!) to any company.
I really suggest you to use internal or standalone system. At least you need to ask your agency & direct / end client if they allow you to use SDL services - EACH TIME BEFORE EVERY PROJECT.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What SDL Language Cloud is Sep 30, 2015

Lorena Croci wrote:
I was just looking forward starting using SDL Language Cloud, but I feel uncomfortable about privacy.

I sat through two promotional videos and read all the descriptions of this product on its web site:
http://www.sdl.com/ilp/language/intro-language-cloud.html
...and I still have no clear idea what it is, exactly. It appears to be some kind of translation coordination and automated roll-out system for clients (not for translators). If that is so, then it's the client who must be comfortable with using it, not you.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
SDL is online MT Sep 30, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
If that is so, then it's the client who must be comfortable with using it, not you.

Samuel,

you wrote in another thread you use QTranslate. I am using it, too. I use QTranslate on the translation of texts that have been published on the Internet, which can be found by Google.

In QTranslate are eight on-line engines: Google, Bing, Promt, Babylon, SDL, Yandex, youdao and Baidu.
I know it, SDL supports Czech language, but Afrikaans language is not supported.

Milan

[Edited at 2015-10-01 11:34 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 07:07
English to Italian
+ ...
I don't use them Sep 30, 2015

As far as I am concerned, I don't use any cloud services nor I am eager to use cloud-based CAT solution. First they are inherently unsafe (you don't really know what's being done with your data). Second they tend to gather way to much information on you anyways.

Whatever they claim, I never used any cloud service for my content (nor for anything else for that matter).

Adding up that you even pay for the service, which essentially reduces your income without a proved ben
... See more
As far as I am concerned, I don't use any cloud services nor I am eager to use cloud-based CAT solution. First they are inherently unsafe (you don't really know what's being done with your data). Second they tend to gather way to much information on you anyways.

Whatever they claim, I never used any cloud service for my content (nor for anything else for that matter).

Adding up that you even pay for the service, which essentially reduces your income without a proved benefit. Overall I build my own content and its been really good so far, in the last 15, years.
Then, you may have different needs.
Collapse

Lorena Croci
Lorena Croci  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody Oct 8, 2015

I had no clear ideas of what it really was.. a MT, an Autosuggest dictionary..
Now I understand it is a MT as a matter of fact.
I don't think I would use it, unless I will have some public content to translate.
Thank you everybody

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT > Privacy

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »