Simple docx editing for subtitling - combining source and target to single document
Thread poster: Laura Brown
Laura Brown
Laura Brown  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:58
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2016

This seems like a pretty ridiculous question, but I've racked my brain and I can't figure out how to do it.
I'm usually given a docx file in Word with source language subtitles. I then need to add the target language subtitles below each line, leaving both source and target text within a single document (this formatting is required). With the type of materials I'm working on (news summaries, documentary), I've found enough repetition that I would like to use some CAT software to assist -
... See more
This seems like a pretty ridiculous question, but I've racked my brain and I can't figure out how to do it.
I'm usually given a docx file in Word with source language subtitles. I then need to add the target language subtitles below each line, leaving both source and target text within a single document (this formatting is required). With the type of materials I'm working on (news summaries, documentary), I've found enough repetition that I would like to use some CAT software to assist - I can use the software to translate the source document easily enough, but the document that is produced only has the target language. Does anyone know how I could create a document with both source and target language on it (with formatting as listed above) via CAT tools or some clever Word maneuvering without manually entering each line of target language into the source document?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simple docx editing for subtitling - combining source and target to single document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »