Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:36
English to French
+ ...
Work in progress Mar 21, 2017

I've followed, and been part of, this thread.

To me, WFP 4 is a work in progress. It is missing features, other are needlessly complicated (projects in particular, which still can't be modified, which is a huge pain: when noticing that some setting is wrong, the entire project needs to be deleted then recreated, for ex.)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On WYSIWIG Mar 21, 2017

Lais Lewicki wrote:
...you won't have to use tags for bold or italic anymore, as you can use the Microsoft Word shortcuts to input them (ctrl+b / ctrl+i).

WFP4 boasts WYWISIG, so I did a quick test of its capabilities. I only did a quick test. I tested a very short DOC and HTML file. I chose UTF16LE for the HTML file, to avoid issues with UTF8. I then opened these files in Trados 2015, WFP3 and WFP4, and tried to open each tools' files in each other as well.

WFP3 does not have WYSIWIG. In fact, the TXML format does not store any formatting information at all. It stores only tag positions. You can omit tags in the translation that are in the source, but you can't add tags in the translation that do not exist in t he source. This also means that if your agency roundtrips via TXML, you can't use WYSIWIG, even if you're using a tool that offers WYSIWIG editing.

Both SDXLIFF and TXLF formats store formatting information in a way that can clearly be seen when opening the file in a text editor. So theoretically, WFP4 should be able to detect (if not alter) bold and italic formatting in an SDLXLIFF file, and Trados 2015 should theoretically be able to detect bold and italic formatting in a TXLF file. But in practice, WFP4 can't display bold and italic text in bold or italic if the source file format is another tool's own XLIFF format (I was not able to test TXLF in Trados 2015 because it regards the file as an unknown type), despite the fact that there is sufficient information available for it to do so.

Trados 2015 can alter bold, italic, underline, subscript, superscript, and smallcaps. Trados 2015 can also display coloured text, but can't alter text colour. WFP4 can alter bold, italic, underline, subscript, superscript, and strikethrough, but not colour (and does not display colour either).

In fact, my test DOC file contained underlined text, but WFP4 only displayed/recognised the bold and italic formatting, and indicated the underlined formatting as ordinary tagged text.

Some more comments: Trados 2015 read my HTML file just fine (but labelled it HTML5 even though it was really HTML 3.2). WFP4 opened the HTML file as UTF8. I could not figure out how to tell WFP4 that if a file contains a UTF16LE byte order mark, then I really, really want WFP4 to consider that file to be in the UTF16LE encoding. WFP4 refuses to open TXML files (from WFP3) that haven't been pre-translated. Such TXML files are segmented (just look at it in any text editor, and you'll agree), but WFP4 calls such non-pre-translated files "unsegmented". The WFP4 developers really ought to get their terminology right, if they want users to end up with useful, usable error messages. I don't know how to make Trados 2015 read TXLF files, despite the fact that they're proper XLIFF files.

[Edited at 2017-03-21 10:54 GMT]

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 03:36
Preferences > Filters to change Encoding Mar 21, 2017

Hi Samuel,

Before opening HTML files have you edited the Preferences > Filters > HTML Encoding?

Will you be able to send the sample TXML file you couldn't open in WFP 4?

Thank you,

John

Samuel Murray wrote:

Some more comments: Trados 2015 read my HTML file just fine (but labelled it HTML5 even though it was really HTML 3.2). WFP4 opened the HTML file as UTF8. I could not figure out how to tell WFP4 that if a file contains a UTF16LE byte order mark, then I really, really want WFP4 to consider that file to be in the UTF16LE encoding. WFP4 refuses to open TXML files (from WFP3) that haven't been pre-translated. Such TXML files are segmented (just look at it in any text editor, and you'll agree), but WFP4 calls such non-pre-translated files "unsegmented". The WFP4 developers really ought to get their terminology right, if they want users to end up with useful, usable error messages. I don't know how to make Trados 2015 read TXLF files, despite the fact that they're proper XLIFF files.

[Edited at 2017-03-21 10:54 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Mar 21, 2017

John Daniel wrote:
Before opening HTML files, have you edited the Preferences > Filters > HTML Encoding?

No, I did not realise that the HTML in a file could have a different encoding than the encoding of the file itself. (-:

http://leuce.com/tempfile/txmlfiles.zip

Samuel

[Edited at 2017-03-21 16:38 GMT]

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 03:36
Source SDLXLIFF Mar 21, 2017

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the TXML files, do you also have the Source SDLXLIFF files for further debugging?

Thank you,

John

Samuel Murray wrote:

John Daniel wrote:
Before opening HTML files, have you edited the Preferences > Filters > HTML Encoding?

No, I did not realise that the HTML in a file could have a different encoding than the encoding of the file itself. (-:

http://leuce.com/tempfile/txmlfiles.zip

Samuel

[Edited at 2017-03-21 16:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP3 versus WFP4

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »