Thread poster: Asset Orymbayev
Asset Orymbayev
Asset Orymbayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 21:39
English to Kazakh
+ ...
May 20, 2017

How to merge txml files and split them after translation?

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:39
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Split/Merge Feature of Wordfast Pro 3.4.9 May 20, 2017

Go to PM Perspective of Wordfast Pro 3.4.9, click on Split/Merge tab and Add files that you want to split. After adding the file(s) you can select splitting options such as Split after [No.] TUs; Split to [No.] parts; Split after [No.] words.

The split files can be found in the source folder. After working with the split files you can merge them in a similar manner: add files to be merged and hit Merge TXML button.

Hope it will help.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFP can't do that, so I use two little scripts May 21, 2017

Asset Orymbayev wrote:
How to merge TXML files and split them after translation?

There is no such feature in WFP 3. I often have to merge TXML files, so I wrote a pair of scripts that work for me, but I have heard from other translators that it doesn't work for them. You're welcome to give it a go (you have to install AutoIt).

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/TXML%20MS%20scripts%20v2.zip

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
WFP Split/Merge feature May 22, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is no such feature in WFP 3.

I use WFP 3.4.10 and there is a merge/split feature in that version.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Merge and split... not split and merge May 22, 2017

B D Finch wrote:
I use WFP 3.4.10 and there is a merge/split feature in that version.

No, there is a "split and merge" feature. There is no "merge and split" feature.

Andriy Yasharov wrote:
Go to PM Perspective of Wordfast Pro 3.4.9, click on Split/Merge tab and Add files that you want to split.

Yes, but what if you want to merge files before splitting them? WFP 3 doesn't have a feature that takes multiple files and merges them into a single file, and then after translation splits them into the separate files again. The "split and merge" feature in WFP 3 is for splitting up very large TXML files into smaller ones, and then after translation merging them together again.

split and merge

Yes, there is a "merge" button, but if you load more than one file and click the "merge" button, WFP will tell you that "some parts are missing", because the "merge" button only works after you've used the "split" button in the first place.

Read what the OP wrote:

Asset Orymbayev wrote:
How to merge TXML files and split them after translation?

[Edited at 2017-05-22 10:47 GMT]

Asset Orymbayev
Asset Orymbayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 21:39
English to Kazakh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answers! May 23, 2017

Hi,

Thanks! I'll try to use Samuel's script. It's what I need.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge txml files and later split

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »