Australia
Local time: 00:29
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Dec 2, 2017

All,

I have a job of translating web texts from English into German.
The texts arrived as an MS-Word file that contains paragraphs in the order English - German - English - German - etc.
Some of the German target paragraphs contain existing translations that don't need any work.
Some of the German target paragraphs contain translations of parts of the English source paragraph with the remainder to be translated.
Some of the German target paragraphs are empty
... See more
All,

I have a job of translating web texts from English into German.
The texts arrived as an MS-Word file that contains paragraphs in the order English - German - English - German - etc.
Some of the German target paragraphs contain existing translations that don't need any work.
Some of the German target paragraphs contain translations of parts of the English source paragraph with the remainder to be translated.
Some of the German target paragraphs are empty requiring full translation of the source paragraph.

I have created an MS-Excel file with two columns (source - English and target - German) and aligned paragraphs.
I would like to import this file into Across so that I can complete the translation.

So far I have tried:
Direct import into Across
----------------------------
When I import the file that I have prepared, Across puts all contents into the source column in the order English - German - English - German - etc. However, what I need is the first column of the Excel file to become the source in Across and the second column the target (at times with, at other times without content).

Processing with Olifant (in preparation of exporting it so that Across can import it correctly)
--------------------------
I have exported the Excel file as a tab-delimited .txt file with the top row indicating the language of the respective column (I don't know the correct syntax for EN_AUS and GE_GE).
Olifant reads the file but all segments are empty

What should I do to get a correct import into Across?

An added difficulty is that at the moment, the segments (i.e. cells) in Excel contain multiple sentences, new lines, bullet points. I must find a way of creating one segment per sentence and align any existing translations with these segments.
How can I do this?

I will be grateful for any help.

Peter
Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 20:29
Alignment of two excel documents Dec 4, 2017

I think one of options would be to copy columns from your bilingual excel files to two separate excel documents and perform Alignment on them.
After you store alignment to TM, create a new project and add your English excel again, it will be pre-translated with what was stored at alignment.

Manual correction in Alignment wizard allows to assign matching between particular sentences inside paragraphs.

Gerald von Stein-Salisbury
Local time: 14:29
English to German
Client overdid it ... Dec 5, 2017

Peter, the correct expression is "the client meant well and sent you a mess." Its only partly related to Across, but its what happens when the client wants to "help".
There are two possibilities that you can explore, and Mr. AAV has a good point, and thats what I would try first: Once you are in a table you can wipe out the target garbage, but nevertheless support the translation by migrating the 2-language components into the TM.

But if your are familiar with Olifant and all
... See more
Peter, the correct expression is "the client meant well and sent you a mess." Its only partly related to Across, but its what happens when the client wants to "help".
There are two possibilities that you can explore, and Mr. AAV has a good point, and thats what I would try first: Once you are in a table you can wipe out the target garbage, but nevertheless support the translation by migrating the 2-language components into the TM.

But if your are familiar with Olifant and all the other little animals in the CAT Zoo: Converting the entire blob to Xliff might be the other path ...

Good luck!

Gerald

[Bearbeitet am 2017-12-05 09:25 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Zauner
Peter Zauner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:29
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
AAV and Gerald, Dec 6, 2017

many thanks for your comments!

AAV, your comments pointed me to Alignment Wizard, which I had not been aware of previously.
I have created two monolingual files from the bilingual Excel file and have started to correct the alignment manually.
A question on this: Does Alignment Wizard allow joining and separating segments in the source and target? It would be really handy if it could.

Another question on Olifant (although I might not be using it on this proje
... See more
many thanks for your comments!

AAV, your comments pointed me to Alignment Wizard, which I had not been aware of previously.
I have created two monolingual files from the bilingual Excel file and have started to correct the alignment manually.
A question on this: Does Alignment Wizard allow joining and separating segments in the source and target? It would be really handy if it could.

Another question on Olifant (although I might not be using it on this project):
Where can I find the correct syntax for column headings for language/sub-language: e.g. EN_AUS, GE_GE, etc.

Regards,

Peter
Collapse

Local time: 14:29
English to German
Migrating a Two Column Table to a Translation Memory Dec 8, 2017

Just while we are at it: You do not neccessarily need to use Olifant. In most versions of Across there is a tool called Excel2Cat. I do not know if it is included in alle versions nowadays, but check in "program files/across/crossgoodies". Its a nice little tool I commonly use for putting a table with translations into a TM, any TM, it does not even have to be Across . The segmentation issues can then be adressed in the import proc... See more
Just while we are at it: You do not neccessarily need to use Olifant. In most versions of Across there is a tool called Excel2Cat. I do not know if it is included in alle versions nowadays, but check in "program files/across/crossgoodies". Its a nice little tool I commonly use for putting a table with translations into a TM, any TM, it does not even have to be Across . The segmentation issues can then be adressed in the import process.Collapse

AAV
AAV
Local time: 20:29
It does, if I understand your question correctly Dec 11, 2017

Please check, whether Across Help answers your question:
https://www.across.net/online-help/v63/across/data/acrossSchritte33.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating and importing bilingual files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »