Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Across 3.5 - any experience using Across 3.5 or any other previous version?
Thread poster: Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 2, 2006

Hi everybody,

I´d like to know if any of you have any experience using Across 3.5 or any other previous version.
Thanks for you comments.
Marina Soldati

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-12 14:19]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:59
English to French
+ ...
I have no experience Nov 2, 2006

But I know there are agencies interested in using it. If the software is any good, it could lead somewhere.

These people use the marketing strategy wherein they offer the personal edition free and they charge a shipload of money for the big juicy network version whose main clients are agencies. They are trying to get as many freelancers as possible to use their free product so they can say to potential agency clients "look, we have a million freelancer users - tap into that". It's a
... See more
But I know there are agencies interested in using it. If the software is any good, it could lead somewhere.

These people use the marketing strategy wherein they offer the personal edition free and they charge a shipload of money for the big juicy network version whose main clients are agencies. They are trying to get as many freelancers as possible to use their free product so they can say to potential agency clients "look, we have a million freelancer users - tap into that". It's a smart, albeit old strategy.

I say try it - it looks good based on the screenshots. Also add it onto your list of software in your profile once you become profocient with Across - this may help you to be at the top of the directory list when agencies who use Across are looking for freelancers.

In any case, it can't hurt you to try - and the learning curve should be next to none as their software seems to work pretty much like other major CAT tools.

All the best!
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It really can´t hurt Nov 2, 2006

Thanks for you comments, Viktoria.

I was thinking of dowloading it and giving it a try (it´s free!).
For what I read from their website it´s very similar to Trados.

Thanks again.

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
It's compatible! Nov 2, 2006

I just investigated this further and it turns out Across can produce TMX compatible TMs. This is great news! This would mean you can use Across for assignments requiring Trados or SDLX - without actually buying the expensive software. This could actually be great for translators in countries where cost of living is low and where most people can't afford to buy the software.

I am downloading it now and will learn it as fast as I can. Luckily, I have a contract to try this out on - th
... See more
I just investigated this further and it turns out Across can produce TMX compatible TMs. This is great news! This would mean you can use Across for assignments requiring Trados or SDLX - without actually buying the expensive software. This could actually be great for translators in countries where cost of living is low and where most people can't afford to buy the software.

I am downloading it now and will learn it as fast as I can. Luckily, I have a contract to try this out on - the client doesn't require the use of CAT tools.

I say go girl!

Just a quick edit to add to the marketing strategy part in my other post... If Across is TMX compatible, then clearly they are trying to tap into SDL's market. The competition is on! (Somehow I knew that the fact that SDL has bought Trados would only help them in the short run. Trados is dead - long live Trados!).

[Edited at 2006-11-02 19:55]
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Download Nov 2, 2006

Hi again, Viktoria,

Let me know if you are able to download the software.
I registered this afternoon as soon as I replied to your post. But when I finished filling the form the only thing I got was a message saying there were going to contact me soon but coudn´t find any button for downloading the package. (Maybe I´m a little blind!)
Thanks
Marina

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
You can download and it is good for 60 days Nov 3, 2006

I am using it right now. I got the same message on the registration page, but the program works in demo mode. Their demo mode is nothing short of the real thing, it's just limited to 60 days of use.

It's a huuuuge download, and the installation does take some time. MySQL Express needs to be installed - it is bundled with the install - and many things need to be set up. But once it's installed, everything works great.

There is more of a learning curve than I thought at
... See more
I am using it right now. I got the same message on the registration page, but the program works in demo mode. Their demo mode is nothing short of the real thing, it's just limited to 60 days of use.

It's a huuuuge download, and the installation does take some time. MySQL Express needs to be installed - it is bundled with the install - and many things need to be set up. But once it's installed, everything works great.

There is more of a learning curve than I thought at first, but for any person already familiar with CAT tools, this shouldn't be a problem. It will probably take me a few weeks to get used to the software and instinctively reach for the right button/menu/function, but so far so good.

I think I found a bug - or I have a document that contains some formatting errors. When I try to extract terms before translation so I have a list of terms to translate before I get started on translating the document - neat feature, by the way - the program displays an error message and it crashes. I will wait for my registration key and then contact tech support to find out if it is a bug or if it is a problem with my document (it's not a highly professional document and there are lots of elements and formatting in it).

I will keep working on it a bit tonight and will post again tomorrow to let you know how I like it so far. For the moment, it makes a lot of sense - and there are excellent project management features I have yet to see in other CAT tools. QA is also great.

Talk soon!
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yesterday I couldn´t Nov 3, 2006

find the small "here" at the bottom of the page to download the software. When I finally did find it, it was too late to begin downloading 465 MB.
I´ll start right now and see what it looks like.
Regards,
Marina

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
So what, where are your comments? Dec 9, 2006

A month has passed and I am awaiting eagerly your feedback...

Thank you very much in advance for letting us know how you are getting along. I had just requested (and got) the key a few days before reading this thread but didn't downlad the software yet.

Kind regards.

Julian Muller
Julian Muller
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:59
German to English
+ ...
Link? Dec 12, 2006

Could you post the link where you found the software? Do you know if there's a version for Mac?

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link Dec 12, 2006

Hi Julian,

You can download the software from here

www.across.net

You have to sign up as a freelancer, then download the software, which is free. In a week you´ll receive a key to register the software.

I had no problem to download and install it, but the second time a tried to use it there was a problem with the SQL server and I had to uninstall it.
I had
... See more
Hi Julian,

You can download the software from here

www.across.net

You have to sign up as a freelancer, then download the software, which is free. In a week you´ll receive a key to register the software.

I had no problem to download and install it, but the second time a tried to use it there was a problem with the SQL server and I had to uninstall it.
I had not tried to install it again. I will when I have some spare time.
The support tickets are a little slow to be answered.

Regards,
Marina

[Edited at 2006-12-12 14:08]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Have been using it a little, seems OK to me Jan 11, 2007

I have only used it for about 20 hours and I have to admit that the learning curve is somewhat steep. Although you can start using it right from the start, you can't use it fast because the interface is a little cluttered. Therefore, you will need to learn keyboard shortcuts and the meaning of all the regular functions - and then the more complicated ones. So, you can use it fairly easily, but in the beginning, you will not work as fast as you would have in Trados or Wordfast.

I hav
... See more
I have only used it for about 20 hours and I have to admit that the learning curve is somewhat steep. Although you can start using it right from the start, you can't use it fast because the interface is a little cluttered. Therefore, you will need to learn keyboard shortcuts and the meaning of all the regular functions - and then the more complicated ones. So, you can use it fairly easily, but in the beginning, you will not work as fast as you would have in Trados or Wordfast.

I have received the registration information after about 10 days and now I have the full version. Also, when I first downloaded the software, there was a bug in it: the terminology extraction made the program crash. I have installed the latest patch on their website, so that is fixed now. I really like the fact that there is a terminology extraction module coming with this software - it is not so with Trados, you have to buy that separately, and for a spicy price at that.

The logic used in Across is not the same as in the other CAT tools. Instead of segmenting the text into sentences, Across segments into paragraphs. This is OK though, because once you are in a paragraph, you can work on it sentence by sentence, so it really comes down to the same. It's just that people who have no experience with CAT tools will have less trouble learning to use Across than people who have used other CAT tools before.

I haven't turned on the network feature - I've been drowning in work ever since I downloaded Across. So, I can't report on the networking features yet.

I think this is a great free alternative to other CAT tools. Although the learning curve is somewhat steep and it doesn't use exactly the same logic as other CAT tools, I would recommend this to anyone who can't afford an expensive CAT tool - or who can't stand Trados and would like to try something else. It's not because it's free that it is necessarily lame - the agencies are actually paying for your free copy (they let freelancers have it free and this is an argument they use to sell it to agencies - many freelancer already use their product), so the manufacturer is making their buck even though you don't pay. Also, the program has to be up to a certain standard so that agencies are willing to pay for it.

Do try it, it has many interesting features that you may like. For example, you can translate GUI files visually (that is, translate, for example, dialog boxes and the actual dialog box displays so you can see what goes where, and you can even change the size of the dialog box or its elements by simply dragging handles, so that if your translation takes up more room than the source phrases, it will still fit nicely and nothing will be cut off). However, before getting into the neat stuff that I've never found in the Trados freelance product, learn to use the basic functions well. That will probably take some time, so keep it at that for now. I will also check later how easy it is to export and import TMs and TDBs into and from Across. I think that is a major issue, since many of us will want to use Across for projects that require Trados, SDLX or Wordfast. For now, all I can say is that Across can handle TMX.

Give it a try!

P.S.: Although it is already commercially available, Across seems to be a work-in-progress. They very frequently update the patches. So, what you see now is not necessarily what it will look like in a few months, and if there are any bugs, keep getting the patches, they seem to be in the process of fixing issues.

[Edited at 2007-01-12 05:55]
Collapse

Tatiana Neamţu
Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
Local time: 08:59
English to Romanian
+ ...
Problems installing it Feb 11, 2007

Hello!

Some time ago I've dowloaded the program. I also received the serial number from across.net, but when I began the installation, there was a field there requiring me to check the box of what product to install. And it was empty. I have experience in installing products. But I never managed to install this one. I know it, it is great because at the office where I am employed they bought it and we're working on it just fine. Any ideas? I saw on the website that we can also buy t
... See more
Hello!

Some time ago I've dowloaded the program. I also received the serial number from across.net, but when I began the installation, there was a field there requiring me to check the box of what product to install. And it was empty. I have experience in installing products. But I never managed to install this one. I know it, it is great because at the office where I am employed they bought it and we're working on it just fine. Any ideas? I saw on the website that we can also buy the installation CD. Maybe that would be a good idea ....

Thanks!
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
problem during the download maybe ? Feb 12, 2007

Have you tried to download again ? The file is huge, so it is possible that there was some trouble durig the long downloading process.
I downloaded ad installed it last December without trouble, but I have a high speed ADSL connection and a fairly recent computer with few software already installed (no Trados nor SDL so far).

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:59
Japanese to English
It no longer seems to be free.... Feb 12, 2007

...and the demo version is now good for 30 days only.

Can anyone verify this? ...or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance,
Kathy

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Download size Feb 12, 2007

:
Have you tried to download again ? The file is huge, so it is possible that there was some trouble during the long downloading process.
I downloaded ad installed it last December without trouble, but I have a high speed ADSL connection and a fairly recent computer with few software already installed (no Trados nor SDL so far).

I wonder whether there's any correlation between the download size and the actual usefulness of some of these CAT tools? (:D

Wordfast: 0.7MB
MetaTexis: 8MB
MemoQ: 21MB
OmegaT 1.6.1: 21.2MB
Deja Vu X: 30.8MB
Heartsome suite 6.2.4: 46MB
Trados 6.5: 268MB
SDL Trados 2006: 270MB
Across 3.55: 469MB

David Turner

[Edited at 2007-02-12 14:04]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across 3.5 - any experience using Across 3.5 or any other previous version?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »