Office for Mac 2011 not supported on High Sierra
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 21:44
Sep 9, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 10.44.36

Microsoft has announced in a support document that Office for Mac 2011 will not be supported under macOS 10.13 High Sierra. It doesn’t go as far as to say the software will not work, but hints at this.

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/01/microsoft-office-for-mac-2011-high-sierra-compatibility/

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Sep 9, 2017

Thanks for this - I not only use Office for Mac 2011 but also, still, Office for Mac 2008, because it was better.

Anyway having looked at Sierra I decided I don't want or need it, and High Sierra will add nothing that I need either. For me, with ElCapitan the MacOS came to the end of the line. I don't think Apple is even all that interested in computers any more.

[Edited at 2017-09-09 11:21 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Office 365 Sep 9, 2017

I'm afraid to say that the days of buying a program once and using it indefinitely have ended. Rather, we are persuaded to pay for a monthly subscription at $10/month.

Office 365 (Word 2016) is hands down the best version they've made.

I'd recommend updating from the 10 year old 2008 or the 6 year old 2011 versions as soon as you can!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
If I wanted or needed Sep 9, 2017

If I wanted or needed it, Office Home & Small Business 2016 for Mac would do for me. It's a standalone application.

There's no way I'm going to start giving Micro$oft a monthly payment for the rest of my life to use software that's only seriously updated about every 10 years.

A $10 monthly subscription for 10 years is $1200, whereas Office Home & Small Business 2016 for Mac costs $229.99. A much better deal.

[Edited at 2017-09-09 16:57 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Appreciated Sep 9, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 10.44.36

Microsoft has announced in a support document that Office for Mac 2011 will not be supported under macOS 10.13 High Sierra. It doesn’t go as far as to say the software will not work, but hints at this.

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/01/microsoft-office-for-mac-2011-high-sierra-compatibility/

I have MS Office 2008 on my MacBook. I tried v 2011 (bought used on eBay) and had some issues. So I uninstalled it. I run Office 365 student version on my Mac as well, but that's because it's free for as long as I'm enrolled in the doctorate program (until 2019 or 2010).

Fortunately, opening .docx files created in 365 in my Windows 7 machine with Word 2007 is not a problem.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Commercialization+ Sep 10, 2017

When a small company becomes a transnational corporation, it's no wonder they go for more and more profits, making it even hard way via pseudo-monopoly, abusing the customers' laziness and ignorance, for what it's worth.

As for file formats, many clients still deliberately use just old .DOC or a relatively universal .RTF type, which are ok for almost* any word processor or system.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 21:44
TOPIC STARTER
SoftMaker Office 2018 for ... Mac! Sep 10, 2017

DZiW wrote:

As for file formats, many clients still deliberately use just old .DOC or a relatively universal .RTF type, which are ok for almost* any word processor or system.

I haven't experienced any problems with the DOCX file format yet. As a matter of fact, I find it to be more flexible than the old binary DOC file format (e.g. you can take large images out of the unzipped DOCX folder, e.g. for replacing or removing them, like if you want to compact the document).

With DOC, and especially with RTF, I have had big problems, long ago. At that time, I had to convert Microsoft Word documents to RTF, to import them in Déjà Vu. Often times, the formatting of the exported translation had gone lost. I haven't done any conversion to and from RTF recently, so I don't know the current status.

On a side note: CafeTran doesn't use the third-party plug-in that e.g. WFP uses to convert Microsoft Word DOC documents. It can "only" open DOCX files – which is actually all what I need.

The usually well-informed German IT magazine C't suggests that there will be a Mac version of SoftMaker Office 2018. The Linux version of a previous SoftMaker Office has received good reviews, especially regarding compatibility with DOCX documents.

SoftMaker Office has a very reasonable price tag, for instance, there's an offer now for a bundle with FlexiPDF Professional 2017 for Windows and SoftMaker Office Professional 2016 for Windows for € 39.95.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Anti-Monopoly Sep 10, 2017

CafeTran, you're right that file type conversions (especially several) often make it worser, the RTF is sometimes grows rather big, whereas other formats like ODT are even trickier to handle properly, alas.

Hopefully, other vendor peers/players would make the situation more favorable for all us as users.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
The appification of operating systems Sep 14, 2017

I recently learned that the iOS 11 operating system update (coming next week for iPhones and iPads) will have a new filing system, File (yeah, those Apple geniuses are great with names). Since the emergence of Windows 8, the first version of which had no Start button, I've been concerned about what I call the appification of operating systems: the latter start to resemble mobile apps in their functionality, graphic metaphors and appearance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office for Mac 2011 not supported on High Sierra

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »