Thread poster: Joanie G
Joanie G
Joanie G  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
English to French
Jan 22, 2015

Hello everyone!

A client of mine just asked me to write a proposal for a small 3000 words EN > FR project, and honestly, this has never happened to me before. My clients usually only ask for a simple quote. I've been looking online at proposals and they seem to be very developed, long and not at all corresponding to my situation.

Has anyone ever asked you to write a proposal? What did you write in it? How can I make it as short as possible so I don't waste too much time
... See more
Hello everyone!

A client of mine just asked me to write a proposal for a small 3000 words EN > FR project, and honestly, this has never happened to me before. My clients usually only ask for a simple quote. I've been looking online at proposals and they seem to be very developed, long and not at all corresponding to my situation.

Has anyone ever asked you to write a proposal? What did you write in it? How can I make it as short as possible so I don't waste too much time for such a small project to begin with?

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Same as quote? Jan 22, 2015

Without seeing your client's wording, I would venture a guess that they do want a simple quote... nothing more, nothing less.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:43
German to English
Probably a detailed quote Jan 22, 2015

Possibly the client wants a breakdown of your quote.
Specify the cost per word, cost of checking, hourly cost of any special formatting/graphics required, as well as any additional effort.

But ask first.

Joanie G
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Something to "sign" Jan 22, 2015

He has actually asked for a "proposal we can both sign", so that's why I'm thinking it's not a quote. I'm a bit puzzled. Maybe he gets proposals from other vendors for marketing projects, but I've never had to do this for translation!

[Edited at 2015-01-23 00:15 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Similar to invoice Jan 22, 2015

I've used a format that's similar to my invoice i.e. all official looking - but making it very clear that it ISN'T an invoice. If necessary, I sign it before sending it off (stamp it, too) and they can do the same.

It keeps some clients happy. And using a similar format to the invoice saves doing everything twice (assuming they accept the quote).

Joanie G
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 23, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I've used a format that's similar to my invoice i.e. all official looking - but making it very clear that it ISN'T an invoice. If necessary, I sign it before sending it off (stamp it, too) and they can do the same.

It keeps some clients happy. And using a similar format to the invoice saves doing everything twice (assuming they accept the quote).

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
"Pro forma"? Jan 23, 2015

It sounds as if what the client wants is a "pro forma invoice" - an invoice produced in advance to show how it will be presented in due course if you get the job.

Tiffany Hardy
Tiffany Hardy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:43
Spanish to English
I think this is just a detailed quote Jan 23, 2015

In my quotes, I send not only the rate but also detailed information:

the title of the document, file format, deliverables, language to be translated, number of words, per word rate, taxes, deadline. I also include a note about the document needing to be in its final version and that any changes may lead to a modification of the deadline, pricing, etc. I also state that any glossaries to be used must be submitted in advance. If advance payment is required, I indicate this along with
... See more
In my quotes, I send not only the rate but also detailed information:

the title of the document, file format, deliverables, language to be translated, number of words, per word rate, taxes, deadline. I also include a note about the document needing to be in its final version and that any changes may lead to a modification of the deadline, pricing, etc. I also state that any glossaries to be used must be submitted in advance. If advance payment is required, I indicate this along with my account number for making the payment.

I'm not sure what other type of information you could possibly include.

I don't think this is a pro forma invoice, I think it is the terms you both agree to.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client Asking for a Proposal

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »