Translated texts, emails and documents of large companies leaked onto the Internet
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2015

I though this one needed better attention:
http://www.proz.com/translation-news/?p=107333

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Not surprised Feb 21, 2015

Some of my contracts with direct clients specifically state that no translation websites must be used for any part of the texts, the computer I use for the translation must be offline while I work on the project and both source and target file must be deleted after delivery. It may appear paranoid, but this is the sad reality. Whatever you put online is immediately out of your control.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:20
Danish to English
+ ...
That was bound to happen Feb 22, 2015

Why would anybody be surprised at this?

How are those sites going to keep building their translation memories - for free - if not by using whatever people put into them?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Free online service? Feb 22, 2015

Free? What seems a “good deal” may end up costing you a lot more than you bargained for! I am always amazed when people who often are extremely cautious when dealing with banks, clients, suppliers… become so reckless when it comes to translations!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The "good" deal Feb 22, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

Free? What seems a “good deal” may end up costing you a lot more than you bargained for! I am always amazed when people who often are extremely cautious when dealing with banks, clients, suppliers… become so reckless when it comes to translations!

Free e-mail service follows the same rules. The moment anyone deliberately sends "intellectual property content" via Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail et al., while they may not be waiving copyright for commercial exploit, they are granting access to that supposedly privileged information.

While I spend something around USD 5 per month in a premium e-mail service that is fully liable for non-disclosure, I shudder upon noticing how many translators, after having signed NDAs pledging their lives, use free-email services.

If some valuable trade secret is returned translated via Gmail, and later gets published on Google, all that translator can say is "I'm sorry" before facing the music. If my e-mail leaks, I can divert the blame in any million-dollar lawsuit to my e-mail services provider, knowing that yes, they DO have that kind of money there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated texts, emails and documents of large companies leaked onto the Internet

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »