Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:40
English to Polish
+ ...
... Apr 30, 2015

Wangbo231 wrote:

For a couple of times, agencies use e-mails to let me know that they are glad I am interested in them or they are looking for translators for their upcoming projects. I am thrilled in this case, because as a freelancer, I may have a good chance to enlarge my client base. Some of them will ask me to fill out tons of forms and do a test sample.That is Ok,a good way to know me and whether my skill can live up to their expectations. There is a funny thing. They never talk about the rate before providing their forms and samples. Let's say, what if I passed the test, and your rate is below my minimum rate? My time would be wasted. I am wondering why they are doing business in this way. My wild guess is that their rate is too high to worth a mention in advance, sarcastically. I think it is a standard procedure to work out a agreed rate before a translator can take a test or fill out many forms, like NDA etc. I alway suggest them that we should follow this procedure. One time, a PM was not very happy about my suggestion. Did any fellow translator have the same experience; what do you think?

[Edited at 2015-03-05 16:47 GMT]

I can understand not wanting to commit to specific rates before seeing a sample of your work, but filling out their forms, signing their contract etc. is obviously putting the cart before the horse if they don't even know yet whether they even want to work with you. That's dumb, and it's the kind of stupidity that needs to be fought against.

There is no need for even a simple NDA just to cover the test procedure or the paperwork shuffling known as recruitment; a businessperson who thinks otherwise needs to see a counsellor ASAP.

Just decline. Tell them you can fill it all out when they have confirmed positive review of your sample and acceptance of your rates. If not, then pity but no. It's their own fault for acting dumb and not being willing to stop after having it explained to them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need for agreed rate before test and many forms

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »