Caroline Mandler
Caroline Mandler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:20
French to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2015

Hi everyone,

Has anyone working in the US ever dealt with an agency asking for highly-sensitive information, like an IRS W-9 form (which includes a person's Social Security number)? I'm wondering if this is a common practice, other than for someone who has to undergo a background check (e.g. an interpreter).

Thanks in advance!

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Required by law Mar 24, 2015

Yes, this is standard practice if you wish to get paid.

You can read more about W-9s here:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/082714/purpose-w9-form.asp

Jessica F. Rhodes
Jessica F. Rhodes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:20
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
Yes Mar 24, 2015

An IRS W-9 form is necessary for them to be able to send you a 1099 by the end of the year, in case they pay you over 600 USD during said year, so you can file your taxes. With the W-9 form, they can accurately report the payments they make to you.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
English to French
+ ...
they all do it Mar 24, 2015

All agencies require a W-9.

I recommend getting an EIN from the IRS, so that you don't have to disclose your SS Number.

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
EIN Mar 25, 2015

JL01 wrote:

All agencies require a W-9.

I recommend getting an EIN from the IRS, so that you don't have to disclose your SS Number.

Can you tell us anything more about the EIN? I'm familiar with the w-9 form but always feel a little uncomfortable just handing out my Soc# to complete strangers.

Caroline Mandler
Caroline Mandler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:20
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks & explanation Mar 25, 2015

Thanks, everyone! I have an EIN, but they're asking for both - I suppose I can just skip the SSN, in that case.

Anthony, you have to apply for one at irs.gov, but it's a fairly straightforward process and only takes a few minutes. It's also free, which is always nice. Here's the link: <
... See more
Thanks, everyone! I have an EIN, but they're asking for both - I suppose I can just skip the SSN, in that case.

Anthony, you have to apply for one at irs.gov, but it's a fairly straightforward process and only takes a few minutes. It's also free, which is always nice. Here's the link: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)-Online
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
don't disclose your SSN Mar 25, 2015

Every year, there is the odd agency whose accountant is upset about me providing an "EIN," usually when tax season comes (now, IOW.) When gentle explanation i snot enough, words to the effect of "That is all you'll get from me, good bye" works for me.

CMM French wrote:

Anthony, you have to apply for one at irs.gov, but it's a fairly straightforward process and only takes a few minutes. It's also free, which is always nice. Here's the link: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)-Online

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency asking for sensitive information

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »