Lázaro Borges
Lázaro Borges  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 5, 2015

Howdy Y'all, hope all of you guys are having a great Easter with y' families,

I'm starting a Linguist Business, and I need the best name for my brand and site.

Many years from now, the concept of Language and Human Knowledge as Cartography of/for Life fascinates me. So I would like to aggregate that poetics in the name of my bizness, so here are the options that I thought:

a. The Cartographer (plainly and simply)

b. The Langue Cartographer<
... See more
Howdy Y'all, hope all of you guys are having a great Easter with y' families,

I'm starting a Linguist Business, and I need the best name for my brand and site.

Many years from now, the concept of Language and Human Knowledge as Cartography of/for Life fascinates me. So I would like to aggregate that poetics in the name of my bizness, so here are the options that I thought:

a. The Cartographer (plainly and simply)

b. The Langue Cartographer

c. Cartography of Languages

d. The Langue Cartography

e. The Language Cartography

Please choose one and post your best selection. As I couldn't find how make polls on this forum board, just post the letter of your best option or the name, and I will count with my finger.

Thank indeed y'all.
Lázaro
Collapse

Theinsider
Theinsider
United Kingdom
As simple as it can be Apr 6, 2015

Hello Lázaro,

As someone who has an acesss to thousands of linguists, I suggest the following:

use KISS principle.

The Cartographer = are you translating or making maps?

The Language Cartography = and that is?

Lets put aside my irony and leave the facts. You business name should be short, easy to remember. I am 100% sure that CARTOLIng or LINGUACARTA would be ok.

I'v got more than 5k people in my databse and all I ca
... See more
Hello Lázaro,

As someone who has an acesss to thousands of linguists, I suggest the following:

use KISS principle.

The Cartographer = are you translating or making maps?

The Language Cartography = and that is?

Lets put aside my irony and leave the facts. You business name should be short, easy to remember. I am 100% sure that CARTOLIng or LINGUACARTA would be ok.

I'v got more than 5k people in my databse and all I can remeber are these funny, unusual names.
Collapse

Paulo Eduardo -  Pro Knowledge
Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:11
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
As simple as it can be as the Theinsider said: Apr 6, 2015

CARTOLang.

KartoSaragih
KartoSaragih  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:11
English to Indonesian
Carto Lingo Apr 6, 2015

Carto Lingo

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:41
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Atlas Translations? Apr 7, 2015

Atlas Translations?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:11
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No Apr 7, 2015

Lázaro Borges wrote:

the concept of Language and Human Knowledge as Cartography of/for Life fascinates me

That might be a nice concept to play around with in your head, but it takes at least two or three sentences to explain to someone else. It just doesn't work as a business name. As Theinsider posted, it makes people wonder if you translate or make maps. If you don't, pick a different name, one that doesn't need a manual.

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
The Language Cartographer Apr 7, 2015

The Language Cartographer

(but not The Language Cartography)

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"Howdy Y'all"? Apr 7, 2015

Good grief! What a very strange way for anyone raised outside of a small area of the southern United States to address others. I thought your were Brazilian, brought up far from Texas.

Lázaro Borges wrote:
Many years from now, the concept of Language and Human Knowledge as Cartography of/for Life fascinates me. So I would like to aggregate that poetics in the name of my bizness,

I can only repeat the advice you've already been given to stick rigidly to the KISS principle. Few people in this particular business are going to be impressed by clusters of long words.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
... Apr 30, 2015

Something with charting or uncharted. Try to wrap the clients' imagination around all those spaces you're going to help them navigate.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
It isn't about you May 1, 2015

Lázaro Borges wrote:

..... the concept of Language and Human Knowledge as Cartography of/for Life fascinates me

It isn't about you. It's about whoever visits your website, and what interests THEM. And BTW I see you are advertising yourself as able to translate into English. Weeellll Partner (scratching head) I sure as hell don't know 'bout that. Jes' don' know if an I'd wanna 'vail ma self o' them thar services.

[Edited at 2015-05-01 20:10 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Outdated? May 1, 2015

Theinsider wrote:
I am 100% sure that CARTOLIng or LINGUACARTA would be ok.

Maybe it is just me, but I would say that these two names sound rather old-fashioned and would fit perfectly in the translation market of the 1990's. To me, they suggest an agency focused in pushing toward commoditization of translation before failing altogether, leaving no good long-term outcome for the market.

I think in a modern world we need to get rid of translation business names containing preffixes or suffixes like "trans", "ling[ua|o|ual]", "word", "inter", or other commonplace denominations. People today demand fresh, simple, natural names that show some kind of passion, and adding any of the aforementioned affixes feels like adding ketchup to caviar. Just my personal opinion of course!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help me choose the best name for the brand of my linguist business

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »