Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Have you ever considered leaving this industry and this site?
Thread poster: Little Woods
Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:22
German to English
+ ...
Amazing! May 1, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

This should help anyone who can't refocus:

http://laughingsquid.com/the-isolator-a-bizarre-helmet-for-encouraging-concentration-1925/

Like an early virtual reality headset! (Perhaps SDL will integrate one of these with their next annual Studio update).

Khwansuree DEROLLEPOT
Khwansuree DEROLLEPOT  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:22
Member (2012)
English to Thai
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think you are just at the very first steps of building up your business May 5, 2015

I think it is too soon to decide whether to quit the profession. For what I understand you are only at the very first steps of building up your business and it usually takes 3-4 years to see if it is for you or not. I know many friends/colleagues who gave up after one year or two, I feel sorry for them but at the same time I know that it would never work out with their state of mind.

At the very beginning I struggled a lot, too. I have experienced everything you said and was really
... See more
I think it is too soon to decide whether to quit the profession. For what I understand you are only at the very first steps of building up your business and it usually takes 3-4 years to see if it is for you or not. I know many friends/colleagues who gave up after one year or two, I feel sorry for them but at the same time I know that it would never work out with their state of mind.

At the very beginning I struggled a lot, too. I have experienced everything you said and was really depressed from time to time. But over time I realized that those clients who were rude or tried to pay really low rates really weren't worth talking to. I kept going and have been building my reputation over years and it finally pays off. Today I keep only good clients who give me a lot of work and respect and I hardly have to bid for anything on ProZ any more.

I would suggest that you ask yourself whether you really like translation and if you are confident that you are good at it. Do you like the freedom of being freelancer and the challenge of an unpredictable life including business ups and downs as well as the fact that you work alone? If you do not appreciate these things then perhaps freelance translation is really not for you. But if you are just tired because your income isn't what you expected it to be and because of those disrespectful clients, just stay strong and consistent, the quality of your work will speak for itself and decent clients will find you.

[Edited at 2015-05-05 10:17 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever considered leaving this industry and this site?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »