Non Native Foreign Translation Agencies have wrong thinking for Sanskrit.
Thread poster: Harishankar Shahi
Harishankar Shahi
Harishankar Shahi  Identity Verified
India
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 25, 2015

When some agencies are posting their job for Sanskrit to English language pair, they think that this language is in very common in India and many people are working with this in Linguistic field like translation. But reality is that only few people are familiar with this pair and few from these few people are working in Linguistic practices. So, when job in Sanskrit to English will be published, translation agencies start to make bid for this, and with own practice some time they won, and from t... See more
When some agencies are posting their job for Sanskrit to English language pair, they think that this language is in very common in India and many people are working with this in Linguistic field like translation. But reality is that only few people are familiar with this pair and few from these few people are working in Linguistic practices. So, when job in Sanskrit to English will be published, translation agencies start to make bid for this, and with own practice some time they won, and from there,they start to search for cheap translator for this rare language pair. Any can imagine, such type of Indian translation agency once offer me 50 paisa per word for Sanskrit to English translation, it is really a worst case scenario. So as the urge for profit, they will be ridiculously searching for translators with lowest rate (they called it best rate) for this pair. Foreign agencies have to understand that in this pair they have to choose translator directly, it will be profitable for them. Sanskrit to English is not like English to Hindi, so don't compare both pairs working tactics. And cheap rates always doesn't meant for competitive behavior, many often, it be a practice to get high profit. Cheap offering in this pair irritates so much and it pain also that what they think about translation this really hard language, and translation is not a typing job. Agencies have to learn about this before opting or asking anything.Collapse

Sushan Harshe
Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 23:47
English to Hindi
+ ...
Don’t compromise Apr 26, 2015

Don’t take the job at such low rate; if you think, the offered rate is not to your expectation.

Harishankar Shahi
India
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not accepting any absurd pricing Apr 26, 2015

I am never entertaining such rates, but I am surprised with their thinking about translation. Offer like .30 paisa, 75 Rs per page of 500 words is very common in English to Hindi, how they could hire best translator and how they can provide good outcome to their clients. Even foreign agencies have to think that the language they need is not a ordinary it is a communication. And communication have their own way to process. Indian agencies are trying to mess up the things.

Aakash5555
Aakash5555
India
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Just Be on the right side Apr 26, 2015

We should stick to our Path of not accepting ridiculous rates and let these agencies hunt for their new victims. These agencies only want profit and they have no ethics and principles. They charge their clients for proofreading and rarely go through the process of Editing or Proofreading.

Harishankar Shahi
India
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am really shock with their attitude about translation. Apr 26, 2015

Akash Ji,

Really we have to be on our path, but they offering these absurd rates, it means some people also accepting it. And these agencies are talking arrogantly and shamelessly with these offer. Some days ago an Australian agencies posted a job on Sanskrit and an Indian agency generally playing own game of cheap rate after getting that project. I don't understand what foreign agencies thinking before assigning the job for this rare pair, at least with this pair they can go and ch
... See more
Akash Ji,

Really we have to be on our path, but they offering these absurd rates, it means some people also accepting it. And these agencies are talking arrogantly and shamelessly with these offer. Some days ago an Australian agencies posted a job on Sanskrit and an Indian agency generally playing own game of cheap rate after getting that project. I don't understand what foreign agencies thinking before assigning the job for this rare pair, at least with this pair they can go and check translator personally, it is not English to Hindi, where lot of "Cheap" workers are ready.... Many Indian agencies are bad thinkers, really... .....
Collapse

Aakash5555
Aakash5555
India
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Good Agencies are also there Apr 26, 2015

You are right about these 'Cheap' agencies. There are some individuals also who pose like a agency to get the work from foreign clients and then outsource the work on lower rates. I have some bad experiences with them in the past, but now I take care because they are not worthy people to work with and your payment is also at stake.

Harishankar Shahi
India
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree that some goods are also there, but only some. Apr 27, 2015

Agree with you that we have to be cautious about this. But foreign agencies also have to learn that direct dealing is far better than this agency practice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non Native Foreign Translation Agencies have wrong thinking for Sanskrit.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »