Proz member took $275 from me, gave me nothing
Thread poster: sanderson1611
Olena Vasilatos
Olena Vasilatos  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
Greek to Russian
+ ...
find her everywhere Apr 30, 2015

I would find her on every possible online portal (like linkedin, twitter, Facebook etc.) and leave a relevant comment/feedback so that everyone knows who they are dealing with (apart from everything said below).

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Are you sure you've actually paid a ProZ.com member? Apr 30, 2015

Before you follow any of the above advice, can I suggest you make sure you actually paid the money to the person you think you paid it to? If you had first contact through the site, not knowing the person's email address, then you certainly have reason to complain about this person.

If your first contact was to an email address, then this member may herself have been the victim of identity theft. It's so easy for someone to contact you (e.g. in an email response to a job posting) a
... See more
Before you follow any of the above advice, can I suggest you make sure you actually paid the money to the person you think you paid it to? If you had first contact through the site, not knowing the person's email address, then you certainly have reason to complain about this person.

If your first contact was to an email address, then this member may herself have been the victim of identity theft. It's so easy for someone to contact you (e.g. in an email response to a job posting) and pretend that they are such and such a person. They could well present you with a CV that 99% matches, and be using an email address containing that person's name. Unfortunately, it happens. If there's any possibility of it having happened in this case, I advise you to get in touch with the ProZ.com member through the site - go to her profile and use the "send email" or "send ProZ.com message" option. This will be received at the address held on file with site staff. Bear in mind that if you have been scammed in this way, then following the advice already given will bring you absolutely no joy - you can't sue someone you've never actually been in touch with - and you'll ruin the reputation of a translator who has done nothing wrong.

Maybe your first action though should be to Google for "scam" along with the email address and/or name of the person you've been dealing with. Known scams are listed in various places online, including in the ProZ.com Scam Alert Centre here: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/ . If you have been scammed, I don't think there's anything you can do about it except report it. If you know of any way to get redress, please share.
Collapse

sanderson1611
sanderson1611
United States
Local time: 19:11
TOPIC STARTER
I contacted her through proz Apr 30, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

If your first contact was to an email address, then this member may herself have been the victim of identity theft. It's so easy for someone to contact you (e.g. in an email response to a job posting) and pretend that they are such and such a person. They could well present you with a CV that 99% matches, and be using an email address containing that person's name. Unfortunately, it happens. If there's any possibility of it having happened in this case, I advise you to get in touch with the ProZ.com member through the site - go to her profile and use the "send email" or "send ProZ.com message" option. This will be received at the address held on file with site staff. Bear in mind that if you have been scammed in this way, then following the advice already given will bring you absolutely no joy - you can't sue someone you've never actually been in touch with - and you'll ruin the reputation of a translator who has done nothing wrong.

Maybe your first action though should be to Google for "scam" along with the email address and/or name of the person you've been dealing with. Known scams are listed in various places online, including in the ProZ.com Scam Alert Centre here: http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/ . If you have been scammed, I don't think there's anything you can do about it except report it. If you know of any way to get redress, please share.

That is not a possibility. I contacted her directly through proz and got her cell phone number from the CV on her proz profile.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Just get your money back Apr 30, 2015

I'd say go for the jugular, and get your money ASAP.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz member took $275 from me, gave me nothing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »