Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:57
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi again, May 14, 2015

I had a dialogue with the agency, they accepted to delete the text mentioned above.

@DZiW: In stead of writing "Should I sign this?", I should have written "How should I react", I wasn't really thinking of signing. Thanks for pointing out that a contract is a mutal agreement.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:57
French to German
+ ...
You need an insurance May 14, 2015

Well, I would not have signed it neither. But as a translator you should have an insurance... Just in case you don't...

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:57
Chinese to English
The paradox of the freelancer May 15, 2015

As Preston suggests, these clauses may arise out of some kind of insurance interaction, or they may just be written by super-cautious lawyers. This problem is never going to go away, I don't think, because of the odd nature of freelance translators: we're performing B2B services, but we're individuals.

Personally, I'd object to the OP's clause just on the basis that I can't understand it. What's an "indirect special loss" when it's at home? The meaning may well vary from jurisdicti
... See more
As Preston suggests, these clauses may arise out of some kind of insurance interaction, or they may just be written by super-cautious lawyers. This problem is never going to go away, I don't think, because of the odd nature of freelance translators: we're performing B2B services, but we're individuals.

Personally, I'd object to the OP's clause just on the basis that I can't understand it. What's an "indirect special loss" when it's at home? The meaning may well vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Another good reason for using standardised contracts where possible.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
contract=/=ultimatum May 15, 2015

As far as Christina was sensible enough (1) to read the proposed contract, (2) to tell what might affect her participation, and she also was brave enough (3) to ask others about the second opinion, I believe that she will be doing fine)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Liability - Should I sign this?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »