Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Are negative Blue Board postings defamatory?
Thread poster: Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 30, 2015

(Moderator, please feel free to switch forums for this one.)
Even though I am a Canadian, I have no regular clients from my native country. (I live in the US.) As I believed that my experiences with Canada's two main cultures might give my translations a subtle advantage, I quoted on a ProZ.com job for a Canadian company. Their Blue Board rating was a 4, but I decided to go ahead, again because the company was located not just in Canada, but right in my home city.
I signed an NDA
... See more
Even though I am a Canadian, I have no regular clients from my native country. (I live in the US.) As I believed that my experiences with Canada's two main cultures might give my translations a subtle advantage, I quoted on a ProZ.com job for a Canadian company. Their Blue Board rating was a 4, but I decided to go ahead, again because the company was located not just in Canada, but right in my home city.
I signed an NDA that contained this clause: " The Contractor agrees to keep secret and confidential all matters ...relating to the research or affairs of XXXXX, including, but not limited to:...(b) any potentially defamatory data, and shall at all times refrain from placing such information online.."
After the first job I did for the company, I followed my usual practice of accepting no more work from them until I received payment for the initial work. This turned out to be a wise decision, because getting paid was quite an ordeal. I ended up contacting one of the posters on the Blue Board who had mentioned that he "finally" got paid, and he was kind enough to give me the inside information I needed to press forward until the check (or "cheque") finally arrived. My kind colleague had, of course made a post on the Blue Board, but I am reticent about doing so because of the NDA clause I cite above.
I see that the company continues to post jobs on this site, and it has a minimum number of recent Blue Board entries. I would like to make my negative experience known, but I am cautious because of the NDA. I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of a translator being sued or subject to other legal consequences because of making a Blue Board entry under such circumstances. I also wonder if a negative Blue Board post constitutes a "defamatory" statement.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

[Edited at 2015-05-30 13:39 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's an interesting question May 30, 2015

Jessica Noyes wrote:
I signed an NDA that contained this clause: " The Contractor agrees to keep secret and confidential all matters ...relating to the research or affairs of XXXXX, including, but not limited to:...(b) any potentially defamatory data, and shall at all times refrain from placing such information online.."

Is that actually allowed by law? Isn't it restricting free speech? Of course, you could simply refuse to sign these clauses (as I would), but that doesn't solve the issue.

It is being used increasingly at the moment, not just in our area of business. There has been at least one court case recently in the UK of a hotel/B&B who tried to enforce it, and I believe they lost. I'm involved with another on Trip Advisor - someone who gave negative feedback there about a private villa rental close to me, and has since been told that their claim for compensation is now null and void. Hopefully, that holidaymaker will fight back.

I would like to make my negative experience known, but I am cautious because of the NDA. I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of a translator being sued or subject to other legal consequences because of making a Blue Board entry under such circumstances. I also wonder if a negative Blue Board post constitutes a "defamatory" statement.

We certainly need to know about this company's practices. And it's what the Blue Board is there for. Whether these companies can force us to stop using it is a matter for the legal eagles.

It would be nice to have the opinion of staff on this. I'll bring this thread to their attention.

Obi Udeariry
Obi Udeariry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
The truth will set you free... May 30, 2015

In my opinion a Blue Board entry will not constitute defamation provided that it is true. In the UK, to constitute defamation, a statement must be generally false and must have been made to someone not the person being defamed. I'm not sure about Canadian law, but I believe its generally based on the common law (I stand to be corrected here), so I believe you could go right ahead and post as its neither in contravention of the agreement you signed nor the law.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't May 30, 2015

My advice would be: if in doubt, don't do it. A way around it would be to just give a low BB rating and restrict your comment to something like

"Not satisfactory. For further details please contact me privately".

After that, if anyone does contact you privately you would need to be careful how you respond, since that person may not be who you think they are

[Edited at 2015-05-30 13:
... See more
My advice would be: if in doubt, don't do it. A way around it would be to just give a low BB rating and restrict your comment to something like

"Not satisfactory. For further details please contact me privately".

After that, if anyone does contact you privately you would need to be careful how you respond, since that person may not be who you think they are

[Edited at 2015-05-30 13:50 GMT]
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Title changed May 30, 2015

Thanks to those who have responded so far. Tom in London, I changed the title as you are right: the original title was inaccurate.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too May 30, 2015

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Thanks to those who have responded so far. Tom in London, I changed the title as you are right: the original title was inaccurate.

I've updated my post too. See above.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Canada is a particularly bad jurisdiction for that sort of thing May 30, 2015

Jessica Noyes wrote:

After the first job I did for the company, I followed my usual practice of accepting no more work from them until I received payment for the initial work. This turned out to be a wise decision, because getting paid was quite an ordeal. I ended up contacting one of the posters on the Blue Board who had mentioned that he "finally" got paid, and he was kind enough to give me the inside information I needed to press forward until the check (or "cheque") finally arrived. My kind colleague had, of course made a post on the Blue Board, but I am reticent about doing so because of the NDA clause I cite above.
I see that the company continues to post jobs on this site, and it has a minimum number of recent Blue Board entries. I would like to make my negative experience known, but I am cautious because of the NDA. I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of a translator being sued or subject to other legal consequences because of making a Blue Board entry under such circumstances. I also wonder if a negative Blue Board post constitutes a "defamatory" statement.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Canada's defamation laws are absurd enough as it is without a specific contractual obligation signed by you to refrain from defamatory publication. I have no knowledge of how Canadian courts handle product/service provider reviews and feedback about companies (such as the BB), but without specific advice from a qualified Canadian lawyer I would think that posting any sort of true facts that put a company in a bad light would lead to liability.

Unfortunately, BB outsourcers use gagging clauses like the one you cited. This allows them to continue getting grades of 5 from all the many translators who work for them, but not the 1s. I've brought this up with Proz.com staff multiple times, but they choose to ignore the problem in such conversations.

[Edited at 2015-05-30 14:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-05-30 14:07 GMT]

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
As long as it's not "false" May 30, 2015

Defamation
A false statement that harms a person's reputation. If the statement is published, it is libel; if spoken, it is slander. ...

(according to Nolo, for one: http://www.nolo.com/dictionary/defamation-term.html)

I don't really understand what "defamatory data" even means, but if you have so
... See more
Defamation
A false statement that harms a person's reputation. If the statement is published, it is libel; if spoken, it is slander. ...

(according to Nolo, for one: http://www.nolo.com/dictionary/defamation-term.html)

I don't really understand what "defamatory data" even means, but if you have something truthful to say, I don't see how they can prevent you under the law.

However, that doesn't mean they wouldn't try.

Even in the link Łukasz gives (although I hate to use Wikipedia myself), it states:
"Once a claim has been made out the defendant may avail him or herself to a defense of justification (the truth), fair comment, responsible communication, or privilege."

and goes on later to state:
"To establish civil liability for defamation, the plaintiff must establish, on a balance of probabilities, the existence of an injury, a wrongful act, and of a causal connection between the two. A person who has made defamatory remarks will not necessarily be civilly liable for them. The plaintiff must further demonstrate that the person who made the remarks committed a wrongful act. Therefore, communicating false information is not, in itself, a wrongful act."
Collapse

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Apparently the law is on your side May 30, 2015

Again, you have to decide if this is really a risk for you and how much of one, since I'm sure none of us would want to even entertain the thought of being sued.

That said:

http://cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Dial-A-Law/Scripts/Your-Rights/240
(from the Canadian Bar Association)

What are the defences t
... See more
Again, you have to decide if this is really a risk for you and how much of one, since I'm sure none of us would want to even entertain the thought of being sued.

That said:

http://cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Dial-A-Law/Scripts/Your-Rights/240
(from the Canadian Bar Association)

What are the defences to a defamation lawsuit?
If someone sues for defamation, the most common defences are:

truth (known in law as "justification")
absolute privilege
qualified privilege
fair comment
responsible communication on matters of public interest

1. Truth or justification

A statement may hurt your reputation, but if it is true, anyone who says it has a valid defence if you sue them for defamation. They just have to prove, on the balance of probability, that their statement is true.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Check the NDA carefully before signing May 30, 2015

I don't sign anything with 'gagging' clauses.

One I've turned down said:

8. Recipient undertakes not to denigrate the services and the activity of XXXXX with third
parties ...

Such a clause would effectively block any negative Blue Board comment. And it became worse:

22. The infringement of the provisions set forth in Clause 8 shall authorize XXXXX to demand the payment of a penalty equal to Euro 30.000,00 in addition to compensation of any greater damages from Recipient.

To avoid defamation claims, I simply stick to verifiable facts on the Blue Board, so I would probably sign a defamation clause, unless it had automatic penalties built in. Defamation is already punishable by law in many countries, so it doesn't seem to change much that it's also written in a contract.

The company I refer to mostly has all 5's on its Blue Boards, but the Boards also have a few horror stories.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
BB = likehood of working again with an outsourcer May 30, 2015

From PROZ : "In the ProZ.com blue board, service providers enter, on a scale of 1 to 5, their likelihood of working again for a given outsourcer. An outsourcer's "average entry level" is the average of these numbers. "

You don't need to make any comment, just give a (low) rate.
BTW, you can assume that all tralslators have to sign this NDA, including the ones who give high BB rate. Did the company ever complain about its good BB ranking?...
See more
From PROZ : "In the ProZ.com blue board, service providers enter, on a scale of 1 to 5, their likelihood of working again for a given outsourcer. An outsourcer's "average entry level" is the average of these numbers. "

You don't need to make any comment, just give a (low) rate.
BTW, you can assume that all tralslators have to sign this NDA, including the ones who give high BB rate. Did the company ever complain about its good BB ranking?
Collapse

Gunnar Sommerfeldt
Gunnar Sommerfeldt
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
The truth shall set you free! May 30, 2015

While this is an interesting question, the discussion is rather unnecessary.

Defamation is by definition a lie, concocted to make someone look bad. The law itself makes defamation illegal, and putting it in an NDA consequently does nothing. It's buttering bacon, as it were.

You can't, however, be hindered from making true statements. It's like telling your friend that your new neighbor is a sex offender. If it's a lie, then the neighbor would have grounds to sue you. I
... See more
While this is an interesting question, the discussion is rather unnecessary.

Defamation is by definition a lie, concocted to make someone look bad. The law itself makes defamation illegal, and putting it in an NDA consequently does nothing. It's buttering bacon, as it were.

You can't, however, be hindered from making true statements. It's like telling your friend that your new neighbor is a sex offender. If it's a lie, then the neighbor would have grounds to sue you. If it is, however, the truth, then that's your absolute defense right there.

So in short - if it's true, then post it. Don't exaggerate or embellish.

If they come for you, who cares? You've got the perfect defense to have them thrown out of court - you were simply telling the truth.

- S
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I would give a low rating without comment May 30, 2015

The figure says it all.

Apart from that, if the outsourcer tries to influence your rating, that is against the BB rules - so notify staff and send copies of mails etc.

It may not help you in a court case, but I would do it anyway. As others have pointed out, defamation is spreading a story that is not true. If you had difficulty getting paid and would not work for that outsourcer again, those are simply facts.

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
There is a small problem here May 30, 2015

As long as a case is not judged in court, the other party is innocent, in most countries.
So the statement or claim is not true.
As the statement is not true, it is defamation.

I once had this problem with a client who did not pay me, but all the time said that he would pay. It was obviously a lie, but I could not prove it, and in fact some years later he went bankrupt without paying most of his translators.

Another problem may occur if the other par
... See more
As long as a case is not judged in court, the other party is innocent, in most countries.
So the statement or claim is not true.
As the statement is not true, it is defamation.

I once had this problem with a client who did not pay me, but all the time said that he would pay. It was obviously a lie, but I could not prove it, and in fact some years later he went bankrupt without paying most of his translators.

Another problem may occur if the other party, a company for instance, is afraid for its reputation.
An attack to its reputation can also be understood as defamation or libel.

In each case I would be very cautious when putting a negative rating in the Blue Board, limiting it to "at xx.xx.2015 I did not receive any payment".
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
FACTS can't be deemed defamatory May 30, 2015

The question on the BB is on "likelihood of working again".

I think that something to the tune of "I delivered on time, no quality issues, however got paid three months later than the agreed date. I'd work for them again only if paid in cash up-front." cannot be taken as defamatory. It merely states FACTS, that can be proven with unquestionable evidence.

However things like...
  • PMs there are extremely impolite
  • PMs there are extremely impolite
  • they only pay when threatened with legal action
  • they should be in jail
  • after payment was due, they stopped answering my phone calls
  • definitely a bunch of scammers
    ... are clearly defamatory, as they are difficult to prove, evidence being often subjective. ▲ Collapse

•  
    Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are negative Blue Board postings defamatory?

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »