Thread poster: Susana E. Cano Méndez
Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:10
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Logical Sep 29, 2015

Sounds logical the question how come agencies get the references and individual translators don't.
Was there anything left omitted?

Just thinking aloud:
This specific agency, that is curiously all the time in my picture recently, mentions in one of the documents sent for signature: "Experience: Around 500 pages from A to B in the Y field". The agency itself declares the volume of my work for them when their interest is at stake.
it happens, though, that (I think) I
... See more
Sounds logical the question how come agencies get the references and individual translators don't.
Was there anything left omitted?

Just thinking aloud:
This specific agency, that is curiously all the time in my picture recently, mentions in one of the documents sent for signature: "Experience: Around 500 pages from A to B in the Y field". The agency itself declares the volume of my work for them when their interest is at stake.
it happens, though, that (I think) I haven't actually translated 500 overall pages for that specific agency and the overall volume included various language combinations and various fields of expertise.
The same specific agency, when asked to issue a declaration of my translations done for them, promptly and nicely promised to do so. They promised in July. Today is almost October. Various reminders were sent... and nothing, no a declaration, not even a liner!
Another agency, another country: the same story.
Another country, another tarsnalator: the story is the same. And it goes on.
So maybe that's why agencies get these references and individual translators don't?

As mentioned in my previous post, it is very important to plan the career. And monitor the orders that have been completed.
Collapse

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:10
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it's important to be able to prove your expertise Sep 29, 2015

According to the tender submission form, for experience to be taken into account it must be accompanied by some acceptable form of proof, such as reference letters or certificates, all of which much clearly indicate the volume of work done, the task executed (translation work), the language combination, the name of the tenderer and the field concerned. I am sure purchase orders would count as an acceptable form of proof, but maybe this is a question which should be addressed to the Translation C... See more
According to the tender submission form, for experience to be taken into account it must be accompanied by some acceptable form of proof, such as reference letters or certificates, all of which much clearly indicate the volume of work done, the task executed (translation work), the language combination, the name of the tenderer and the field concerned. I am sure purchase orders would count as an acceptable form of proof, but maybe this is a question which should be addressed to the Translation Center. If purchase orders are accepted by the Center, which I think they are, then translators have to make sure that the volume of work, the task, the language combination and the field are mentionned on the purchase order before they start working.
All in all, this is a way of acquiring well-paying direct clients without having to spend huge amounts on marketing. I agree with Inga, translators have to plan their career. But this also holds true if translators want to meet the new ISO standard.

[Edited at 2015-09-29 12:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-29 12:08 GMT]
Collapse

Milen Bossev
Milen Bossev  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:10
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Participation in a tender by a freelancer on their own is practically impossible Oct 1, 2015

Maria S. Loose, LL.M. wrote:

"Question no 17:
I would like to know if this tender is for companies or for individuals.
Answer no. 17:
Please note that not only companies but also freelance translators can participate in this call for tenders.
Please note, however that in order to be valid the offer must comply with the requirements listed in the tender specifications."
http://cdt.europa.eu/CDT%20Call%20Documents/CONSUM15/FAQ%20CONSUM15.pdf

[Edited at 2015-09-25 12:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-25 14:53 GMT]

In theory freelancers can participate in a tender without going through an agency but if you read carefully the tender specifications (http://cdt.europa.eu/CDT%20Call%20Documents/CONSUM15/specifications_CONSUM15-EN.pdf) you will see that the requirements are such that it is practically impossible unless you subcontract to or set up some sort of an association with other translators which has to have a 'formal status', such as a legal entity or a consortium.

I guess the idea of being a freelancer is to work on your own, avoiding all the administration, formalities, responsibilities and overheads involved in managing other people or some sort of a larger legal entity, otherwise none of us would be a freelancer but would rather set up a translation agency/company offering a more comprehensive set of services. And just stating that freelancers are allowed to participate in tenders, and yet requiring them to enter into some sort of contractor-subcontractor relationship or set up a ‘consortium’ with other translators is an empty gesture and defeats the purpose of being a freelancer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies that ask for too much info

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »