Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to get paid fot the job you have done?
Thread poster: AnnSur
AnnSur
AnnSur  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2015

Does anybody know if it's possible at all to get your monies form the outsourcer for the translation done, especially if the outsources started making problems and questioning the quality of your work???

I have translated a massive volume of text ( about 12 300words) within 5 days ( which was a deadline). The text was delivered on time and from the moment I sent it to the outsourcer she actually started searching for its errors. Whatever I explained and defended, she immidietaly ju
... See more
Does anybody know if it's possible at all to get your monies form the outsourcer for the translation done, especially if the outsources started making problems and questioning the quality of your work???

I have translated a massive volume of text ( about 12 300words) within 5 days ( which was a deadline). The text was delivered on time and from the moment I sent it to the outsourcer she actually started searching for its errors. Whatever I explained and defended, she immidietaly jumped to another one. When eventually I said ,if in her opinion the translation is done wrongly, I expect her not to use my text at all including correction ect. so she could now pass it onto her client and earn monies without paying me, she started playing up. When I said that will send her an invoice for my job done, she's trying to scare me saying that she will use my invoice to sue me according to civil law??? I'm not sure how she wants to do it if we did not even make any agreement before I started.

I really regret doing this translation. It's my lost time, energy and lot's of stress no to mention now this emails.

Anybody has got any experience?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Language pair? Oct 19, 2015

AnnSur wrote:

I have translated a massive volume of text ( about 12 300words) within 5 days ( which was a deadline). The text was delivered on time and from the moment I sent it to the outsourcer she actually started searching for its errors. Whatever I explained and defended, she immidietaly jumped to another one. When eventually I said ,if in her opinion the translation is done wrongly, I expect her not to use my text at all including correction ect. so she could now pass it onto her client and earn monies without paying me, she started playing up. When I said that will send her an invoice for my job done, she's trying to scare me saying that she will use my invoice to sue me according to civil law??? I'm not sure how she wants to do it if we did not even make any agreement before I started.

I really regret doing this translation. It's my lost time, energy and lot's of stress no to mention now this emails.

Anybody has got any experience?

Was your translation from Polish to English?

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:42
English to German
+ ...
Right of rectification Oct 19, 2015

Hi Ann,

you should have at least a right of rectification. Your work has to be paid in any case.

Good luck

Noe

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:42
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Wouldn't call it "massive volume" Oct 19, 2015

AnnSur wrote:

I have translated a massive volume of text ( about 12 300words) within 5 days ( which was a deadline).

Less that 2500 words per day it's pretty much a normal translator's output, unless the text was extremely difficult. Can you add more details?

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be more objective Oct 19, 2015

PO usually states what the consequences might be if the translation is not fit enough. Generally, we are talking about a discount from the rate you agreed on. Was there a PO in the first place?

Secondly, both the outsourcer and you need to be more objective. There are track changes and comments available to pinpoint the exact issues, being it grammar, terminology, register or just typos. If this was provided and you agree with them, offer to amend your translation (free of charge, o
... See more
PO usually states what the consequences might be if the translation is not fit enough. Generally, we are talking about a discount from the rate you agreed on. Was there a PO in the first place?

Secondly, both the outsourcer and you need to be more objective. There are track changes and comments available to pinpoint the exact issues, being it grammar, terminology, register or just typos. If this was provided and you agree with them, offer to amend your translation (free of charge, obviously) and send it back to the outsourcer, together with the invoice. Should that not work (due to deadline, whatever), offer the outsourcer a discount on your agreed rate and send them the invoice. Should the translation be really “unusable” to the extent that it had to be retranslated entirely, refrain from sending any invoice and take it as a lesson for future cases.

If you are not paid, either fully or partially, the outsourcer has no right to use your translation.

On the other hand, I’m having hard time understanding, having law degree myself, how an outsourcer may sue you on the grounds that you’ve sent an invoice to them. If they claim damages (which they will have to prove and quantify), they would exist without you sending any invoice at all, so the fact of sending the invoice adds nothing to their potential legal action. Now, if they use your translation (regardless of the quality of the same) without paying you, YOU will have grounds to sue THEM.

My advice: try to find a common ground and if there were really some important issues with the translation, just offer a discount; this would be fair for both parties. Now, I’m not assuming anything, it might well be that your translation is just fine or even excellent. In that case, ask that your translation be assessed by an independent party.

Good luck!
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Small claims procedure Oct 19, 2015

AnnSur wrote:

By using the same legal procedures that the utility company would use if you didn't pay your electricity bill. It's not rocket science.

https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_order_for_payment_procedures-41-en.do

AnnSur
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to get paid fot the job you have done? Oct 19, 2015

Hi Tom,

I translate mainly English to Polish and this was the case.

Magdalena Kowalska
Magdalena Kowalska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
Name? Oct 19, 2015

We need to know the name of the company, please.

AnnSur
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to verify? Oct 19, 2015

Hi Merab,

How you can verify that outsourcer have not used your text? From my point of view you cannot. The outsourcer can make his own little changes and then still use it and sell it to the client. However the job was really done by you not the outsourcer. That's the quite easy way to avoid paying.

You saying about an independent party. Yes, that is an option but you still need to pay for it!

AnnSur
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Company Oct 19, 2015

Magdalena Kowalska nazwe firmy wysyłam na miala:)

AnnSur
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
paid in any case? Oct 19, 2015

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hi Ann,

you should have at least a right of rectification. Your work has to be paid in any case.

Good luck

Noe

How you can get this monies?

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not that expensive Oct 19, 2015

AnnSur wrote:

Hi Merab,

How you can verify that outsourcer have not used your text? From my point of view you cannot. The outsourcer can make his own little changes and then still use it and sell it to the client. However the job was really done by you not the outsourcer. That's the quite easy way to avoid paying.

You saying about an independent party. Yes, that is an option but you still need to pay for it!

If you do not know who the end client was, google it in a week’s time or so; use core portions of your text between quotation marks. If the text was supposed to be published, it will pop up.

In my case, I almost always know who the end client is, from the very text I translate. I never contact them, but I could if needed be.

As for independent party, this should not be very expensive. Any professional translator can judge upon the quality of a translation after spending an hour reviewing the “mistakes” that the outsourcer has allegedly pinpointed. Offer the outsourcer to share that cost. The total cost should not exceed EUR 35. It’s nothing compared to what you might miss (according to your rates, EUR 1000+).

AnnSur
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
details Oct 19, 2015

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

AnnSur wrote:

I have translated a massive volume of text ( about 12 300words) within 5 days ( which was a deadline).

Less that 2500 words per day it's pretty much a normal translator's output, unless the text was extremely difficult. Can you add more details?

It was an agreement bewteen two companies about, kind of buyer/seller terms and conditions ect. , quite unclear to some point. Also not to mention the fact that the source was badly written in English or badly translated from different language already.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:42
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You cannot list the outsourcer's name in here Oct 19, 2015

Magdalena Kowalska wrote:

it is prohibited by the site rules.

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
She did not Oct 19, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

Magdalena Kowalska wrote:

it is prohibited by the site rules.

From what I understood from her Polish writing (Russian helps), she sent the name to a private email, which is allowed and much appreciated, I beleive.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get paid fot the job you have done?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »