Can I say translation service falls under the rubric of 'BPO'?
Thread poster: Moreechika
Moreechika
Moreechika
Bangladesh
English to Bengali
+ ...
Dec 28, 2015

In a hearing, I urgently need to demonstrate and persuade that 'translation service' (especially the kind I do - mostly official/business/legal etc documents) clearly falls under the rubric of 'BPO' (Business Process Outsourcing). I need to persuade people who probably do not necessarily know much about the translation industry or BPO (they probably think bpo means only 'Call Centres') and prefer to think two different words mean two mutually exclusive different things.
How can I argue my
... See more
In a hearing, I urgently need to demonstrate and persuade that 'translation service' (especially the kind I do - mostly official/business/legal etc documents) clearly falls under the rubric of 'BPO' (Business Process Outsourcing). I need to persuade people who probably do not necessarily know much about the translation industry or BPO (they probably think bpo means only 'Call Centres') and prefer to think two different words mean two mutually exclusive different things.
How can I argue my case here? How can I best explain to them that translation service (preferably also voice overs) is clearly a part of BPO?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.
Collapse

Achmad Fuad Lubis
Achmad Fuad Lubis  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:51
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Translation activities a subset of business process which are outsourceable Dec 31, 2015

Hi Morecheeka, a generally accepted definition of Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) says that BPO is a subset of outsourcing that involves the contracting of the operations and the responsibilities of a specific business process to a third-party service provider. Typically, BPO is categorized into back office outsourcing which includes internal business functions such as human resources or finance and accounting, and front office outsourcing which includes customer-related services such... See more
Hi Morecheeka, a generally accepted definition of Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) says that BPO is a subset of outsourcing that involves the contracting of the operations and the responsibilities of a specific business process to a third-party service provider. Typically, BPO is categorized into back office outsourcing which includes internal business functions such as human resources or finance and accounting, and front office outsourcing which includes customer-related services such as contact centre services. With the rapid advance of telecommunications, information and computer technology BPO has reached out to establish borderless business relations. Therefore we now have situations where BPO is contracted outside the company’s country called offshore or nearshore outsourcing. It is getting more imperative that marketing communication, business communication and operation communication are rendered effective and efficient in order to address all stakeholders in the business environment in the same degree of comprehension and understanding. Hence, communication process is clearly a subset of the business process which include translating, interpreting, voiceovers, editing, proofreading, subtitling, etc. The advantages a company can gain from outsourcing part of its business process are becoming more obvious, to state a few examples, a transformation of fixed costs into variable costs, minimizing human resources training costs without sacrificing output quality. Hope this is of assistance in arguing your case.Collapse

Moreechika
Moreechika
Bangladesh
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Dec 31, 2015

Hi Achmad, Fantastic! Very eloquently said. I believe it's going to be useful. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I say translation service falls under the rubric of 'BPO'?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »