John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:57
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Translating vs. being in business as a translator Feb 25, 2016

You can't "prove" that you have been translating full time for X years, unless as an employee.

What you can prove is that you have been in business for X years as a freelance translator, by producing evidence such as invoices (with private information redacted) and business records such as your annual financial statements. If your annual financial statements, backed by invoices, show you have been making an income reasonable for a full time work over that period, that's the best pr
... See more
You can't "prove" that you have been translating full time for X years, unless as an employee.

What you can prove is that you have been in business for X years as a freelance translator, by producing evidence such as invoices (with private information redacted) and business records such as your annual financial statements. If your annual financial statements, backed by invoices, show you have been making an income reasonable for a full time work over that period, that's the best proof you can come up with. That's acceptable to third-parties such as government agencies, associations, etc.
Collapse

Jean Fulbert Hervé Eboumeyeng
Jean Fulbert Hervé Eboumeyeng  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 18:57
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Definitely a good answer Feb 25, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

What you can prove is that you have been in business for X years as a freelance translator, by producing evidence such as invoices (with private information redacted) and business records such as your annual financial statements. If your annual financial statements, backed by invoices, show you have been making an income reasonable for a full time work over that period, that's the best proof you can come up with. That's acceptable to third-parties such as government agencies, associations, etc.

This is the best answer to my question. Thank you very much!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Well done, John ;) Feb 25, 2016

jeanherv wrote:
John Fossey wrote:

Brownie points to you; dunce's hats to the rest of us.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Membership of a professional association Feb 25, 2016

If I redacted the confidential information from my invoices and scanned them, they would be just about worthless - anyone could fake them, and there are an awful lot of them...

I was lucky enough to start my career in-house, and my employer kindly gave me a very nice reference when he had to downsize and let all his translators go (except that it was in Danish, and I had to translate it myself ).
I used t
... See more
If I redacted the confidential information from my invoices and scanned them, they would be just about worthless - anyone could fake them, and there are an awful lot of them...

I was lucky enough to start my career in-house, and my employer kindly gave me a very nice reference when he had to downsize and let all his translators go (except that it was in Danish, and I had to translate it myself ).
I used that for a year or two.

Since then I have used my diploma certificates and my membership of the CIoL - the Institute vets its members, and clients are much happier about giving a reference to and association like that than to potential competitors.
Collapse

Cameroon
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All answers have been useful Feb 25, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

jeanherv wrote:
John Fossey wrote:

Brownie points to you; dunce's hats to the rest of us.

All answers have been useful and I thank you all for your time!

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

It would depend on the country Feb 25, 2016

It would depend on the country, but tax returns could perhaps provide evidence, if you kept them that long. Or even a letter from the tax office stating that you paid taxes for......years as a freelancer.

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:57
Korean to German
+ ...
Getting a visa Feb 25, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

jeanherv wrote:

The point is: sharing experience with colleagues

... and, as you say, it's not about proving your experience to authorities or clients, then I actually don't see the problem... I'd simply say "I have been translating for X years and translated roughly Y million words". But I guess I'm missing something here...

I was supposed to prove my profession when I went to renew my visa. I had compiled a simple Word document, listing different projects and stuff. Also handed in a year's worth of invoices and last year`s tax statement.

That didn't fly with the immigration office... they asked me to get them a simple letter/email from a random translation company stating "Yep, she works with us on a regular basis". That was enough for them (while the tax statement which included the same company's name and the amount I made through them last year wasn't)... go figure.

Cameroon
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which country? Feb 25, 2016

Mirja Maletzki wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

jeanherv wrote:

The point is: sharing experience with colleagues

... and, as you say, it's not about proving your experience to authorities or clients, then I actually don't see the problem... I'd simply say "I have been translating for X years and translated roughly Y million words". But I guess I'm missing something here...

I was supposed to prove my profession when I went to renew my visa. I had compiled a simple Word document, listing different projects and stuff. Also handed in a year's worth of invoices and last year`s tax statement.

That didn't fly with the immigration office... they asked me to get them a simple letter/email from a random translation company stating "Yep, she works with us on a regular basis". That was enough for them (while the tax statement which included the same company's name and the amount I made through them last year wasn't)... go figure.

May I know which country it was? Getting a visa as a freelance translator is another issue and I wonder why translation associations do not fight for us to have the "freelance translator" visa category in their respective countries. I think it's a good thing for governments to have some foreigners who work online for foreign companies and who are able to support themselves and consume without necessarily having a big capital to invest and without "stealing" local jobs. But unfortunately, very few countries have this type of visa.

[Edited at 2016-02-25 21:53 GMT]

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:57
Korean to German
+ ...
Not a freelancer visa Feb 26, 2016

Yeah, mine wasn't a freelancer visa either. It was a regular visa and I just had to prove that I can provide for myself.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:57
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm pasting soemone's response to a topic in another forum Feb 26, 2016

Quote: "I think you just have to use common sense".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Justifying Years of Experience for Online Freelance Translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »