Canada
Local time: 02:18
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Wouldn't necessarily expect a response Mar 24, 2016

Mohd Hamzah wrote:

Hi.

Does anyone experienced a client who was asking about a quote from you after they send us the text to be translated.

Then, we provide them translation fee (which is affordable) when they got it, they are just gone and never reply your email. I was wondering what could be the reason, being an agency/end client?

Thanks a lot.

Perhaps it's a culture thing, but on this side of the world at least I would not particularly expect a response after quoting. I would assume they found someone else for whatever reason or the job didn't materialize. If it was an end client, they might have no idea what translation costs and were just researching.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Mohd Mar 24, 2016

I will add my voice to what others have said here. Such behavior is so common on the part of potential clients (and especially agencies) that it is something of a surprise that you haven't come across it before.

As Tomás said, this is certainly bad manners. Given that you presumably took the time to review the text and work up a quote, the least the other party could have done would be to send you a brief message informing you that your quote was declined.

But again, I
... See more
I will add my voice to what others have said here. Such behavior is so common on the part of potential clients (and especially agencies) that it is something of a surprise that you haven't come across it before.

As Tomás said, this is certainly bad manners. Given that you presumably took the time to review the text and work up a quote, the least the other party could have done would be to send you a brief message informing you that your quote was declined.

But again, I would reiterate what others have essentially told you: this is very common behavior, and therefore you should get used to it.

One PM of my main client (a large agency) does this kind of thing all the time (usually in reference to urgent jobs, with the loss of interest being almost certainly due to price). Although I find the absence of a courtesy message in such instances annoying, I've learned to live with it. After all, it would hardly make sense to sever contact with this person altogether, since she also sometimes sends me large and well-paid jobs.

All the best to you!
Collapse

Peter Leeflang
Peter Leeflang  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
There can be several reasons for receiving no reply Mar 24, 2016

There can be several reasons for not receiving any reply to a quote, so I never assume the worst.

1) E-mal not functioning properly on agency side,
2) E-mail ended up in spam folder of agency,
3) Agency has limited resources to respond and has selected different candidate provider for any reason, be it rate, experience etc., and could even not have gotten to my quote but cut off their search halfway the quotes (I just do not know the full context),
4) Agency is fis
... See more
There can be several reasons for not receiving any reply to a quote, so I never assume the worst.

1) E-mal not functioning properly on agency side,
2) E-mail ended up in spam folder of agency,
3) Agency has limited resources to respond and has selected different candidate provider for any reason, be it rate, experience etc., and could even not have gotten to my quote but cut off their search halfway the quotes (I just do not know the full context),
4) Agency is fishing for one's rates,
5) Agency is not legit, so scammer,
6) Agency may respond much later to quote (sometimes weeks later).
7) Agency never got definite order from their customer.

[Edited at 2016-03-24 15:31 GMT]

Either way, this is so common with agencies, that one would have no business with any of them if one would drop all such agencies. Not that I find it particularly long term sighted and that I would run my business that way myself.

[Edited at 2016-03-24 15:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-24 15:33 GMT]
Collapse

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 13:18
English to Vietnamese
More often Mar 25, 2016

It happens to me more often nowadays even I have to spend quite a lot of time doing tests, finalising a numbers of forms, agreements and hear nothing back from those clients.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:18
English to Polish
+ ...
A lot of the time Mar 29, 2016

Mohd Hamzah wrote:

Hi.

Does anyone experienced a client who was asking about a quote from you after they send us the text to be translated.

Then, we provide them translation fee (which is affordable) when they got it, they are just gone and never reply your email. I was wondering what could be the reason, being an agency/end client?

Thanks a lot.

Business people in Western culture are becoming more and more abrasive, and democracy has made sure good manners are no longer en vogue. You can't do anything about that, you can only get used to it. Actually, you can explain your doubts in the prospect's favour, e.g. probably too busy to remember or trying not to spam you with 'useless' correspondence such as thank-you-but-nope notifications. They think not wasting your time is the pinnacle of professional courtesy. They're wrong, but they mean well.

[Edited at 2016-03-29 15:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for a quote, quote given then silent

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »