Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
$80 for translation and $23 for proofreading of 20,000 words...Is it a ridiculous offer?
Thread poster: Doan Quang
Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 19:51
English to Vietnamese
May 24, 2016

I have received a message via Proz on-site message for a project of 20,000 words from a UK based company (LWA: 4.2 of 372 entries overall), and job poster reconfirmed the word counts and budget.

'Thank you for getting back to me I can agree with$80 for translation however the most I can offer you is $23 for proofreading.
Have a think and get back to me.'

How to reply to such a ridiculous offer?

[Edited at 2016-05-24 05:31 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
English to German
Not at all May 24, 2016

Don't waste your time.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
PM is new or it's $23 per hour May 24, 2016

Doan Quang wrote:

I have received a message via Proz on-site message for a project of 20,000 words from a UK based company (LWA: 4.2 of 372 entries overall), and job poster reconfirmed the word counts and budget.

'Thank you for getting back to me I can agree with$80 for translation however the most I can offer you is $23 for proofreading.

$23 / 20,000 = $0.00115 (i.e. 0.00).

To proofread 20,000 words, provided the translation is of good quality, it takes from 10 to 12 hours (I am talking about monolingual proofreading, nor bilingual editing). $230 / 10 = $23. The PM must be offering you $23 per hour. This is my guess. Ask again.

$23 per hour is not a good rate at all, but then it is up to you to accept it or further negotiate it. Now, $23 per 10 hours of work is, as you pointed out, ridiculous.

[Edited at 2016-05-24 05:55 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 14:51
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Censorship. May 24, 2016

I would reply with/I would like to reply with:

I am sorry, but ProZ does not allow us to work for such low rates, it's against the site rules.

: )

Doan Quang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
I would be happy to accept the hourly rate of USD23.00 May 24, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

Doan Quang wrote:

To proofread 20,000 words, provided the translation is of good quality, it takes from 10 to 12 hours (I am talking about monolingual proofreading, nor bilingual editing). $230 / 10 = $23. The PM must be offering you $23 per hour. This is my guess. Ask again.

$23 per hour is not a good rate at all, but then it is up to you to accept it or further negotiate it. Now, $23 per 10 hours of work is, as you pointed out, ridiculous.

[Edited at 2016-05-24 05:55 GMT]

I would be happy to accept the hourly rate of USD23.00. I firstly thought these fixed rates are for 2,000 words but she later confirmed:

"No it is 20 000 words.

Is that okay?

Many thanks"

Hema Sendhil
Hema Sendhil
India
Local time: 18:21
English to Tamil
+ ...
Don't accept May 24, 2016

Don't waste your time on this. Its waste of time and energy.

Doan Quang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
$80.00 / 20,000 = USD0.004 /per source word May 24, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

That matches $80.00 / 20,000 = USD0.004 /per source word for translation.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Waste her time? May 24, 2016

While Gabriele's advice is good, if you have the time to kill, you might consider using it to waste the PM's time.

Offer to do the translation for 2400 USD or the proofreading for 800 USD, but tell her that you'd be willing to negotiate if she would send her very best offer. You might also mention that you'd love to offer her less and will almost certainly be able to do so in the future, but these are hard times and the roof on your house needs replacing, so it will have to be her b
... See more
While Gabriele's advice is good, if you have the time to kill, you might consider using it to waste the PM's time.

Offer to do the translation for 2400 USD or the proofreading for 800 USD, but tell her that you'd be willing to negotiate if she would send her very best offer. You might also mention that you'd love to offer her less and will almost certainly be able to do so in the future, but these are hard times and the roof on your house needs replacing, so it will have to be her best price this time. And maybe ask her to send you a signed copy of your terms & conditions by fax.

Alternatively, you could just send her an offer for whatever you do consider to be a reasonable price and see what happens. I assume (and hope) they sometimes have trouble finding someone to translate for a fraction of a cent per word and they may actually end up accepting your offer on the rare occasions when everything else goes wrong.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The faxing part is great. May 24, 2016

Michael Wetzel wrote:

Offer to do the translation for 2400 USD or the proofreading for 800 USD, but tell her that you'd be willing to negotiate if she would send her very best offer. You might also mention that you'd love to offer her less and will almost certainly be able to do so in the future, but these are hard times and the roof on your house needs replacing, so it will have to be her best price this time. And maybe ask her to send you a signed copy of your terms & conditions by fax.

Alternatively, you could just send her an offer for whatever you do consider to be a reasonable price and see what happens. I assume (and hope) they sometimes have trouble finding someone to translate for a fraction of a cent per word and they may actually end up accepting your offer on the rare occasions when everything else goes wrong.

Another idea:

I can accept your rate if you mail me a huge box of assorted chocolates, here is my address:

Once the box is with me, I would reply: the chocolates are nice, but no hazelnut included, so I cannot accept your rate. Very sorry.

[Edited at 2016-05-24 07:07 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:51
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Per 1000 words? May 24, 2016

Many UK companies like to talk about rates per 1000 words.
Perhaps that is what they were referring to.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Many UK companies.... May 24, 2016

like to express their rates in British Pounds or perhaps euros, not USD.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
English to German
That crossed my mind May 24, 2016

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Many UK companies like to talk about rates per 1000 words.
Perhaps that is what they were referring to.

But I would also go for the chocolates.

[Edited at 2016-05-24 07:56 GMT]

Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 20:51
English to Malay
+ ...
Kuwait dinar May 24, 2016

If the currency in Kuwait dinar, is also not worth. What a life, what kind of company is this....

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Assume there is a misunderstanding May 24, 2016

Doan Quang wrote:

Assume there is a misunderstanding. If there isn't, you've lost nothing. If there is, then you've gained a client. Clarify very specifically what your counter offer is so that there can be no further misunderstanding (e.g. the fact that the client meant X per hour, or that the client mean X per 1000 words, or suchlike).

[Edited at 2016-05-24 08:01 GMT]

Doan Quang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
misunderstanding maybe May 24, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Doan Quang wrote:

Assume there is a misunderstanding. If there isn't, you've lost nothing. If there is, then you've gained a client. Clarify very specifically what your counter offer is so that there can be no further misunderstanding (e.g. the fact that the client meant X per hour, or that the client mean X per 1000 words, or suchlike).

[Edited at 2016-05-24 08:01 GMT]

I thought that there is a misunderstanding, new PM, and/or rates for 2,000 words but he confirmed twice these rates are fixed for 20,000 words, that made me totally confused.

[Edited at 2016-05-24 08:07 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

$80 for translation and $23 for proofreading of 20,000 words...Is it a ridiculous offer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »