Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
EU Referendum (Brexit) voting day in the UK! Leave/Remain? Discuss?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2016

Yikes! it's finally happening: it's EU Referendum voting day here in the UK!

If they'd let me vote, I'd vote remain, although it's tricky as most of my income is in euros, so if the pound plummets (as some people have said it will in the event of a Brexit), I stand to benefit considerably

I wonder what people here on the site think would be a better outcome, especially as regards our profession?
... See more
Yikes! it's finally happening: it's EU Referendum voting day here in the UK!

If they'd let me vote, I'd vote remain, although it's tricky as most of my income is in euros, so if the pound plummets (as some people have said it will in the event of a Brexit), I stand to benefit considerably

I wonder what people here on the site think would be a better outcome, especially as regards our profession?

Michael

[Edited at 2016-06-23 10:56 GMT]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Already discussed Jun 23, 2016

You will find a lengthy discussion of this topic here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/303266-how_do_you_think_uk_leaving_eu_would_affect_our_profession.html

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jack, ... Jun 23, 2016

… silly of me to have missed that!

Michael

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well, Jun 23, 2016

As I haven’t had a single British client for some time (in general they say I’m too expensive), it probably wouldn’t affect me much professionally, but obviously as a European citizen and as an enthusiast pro-EU, it will be, on one hand, sad to see the withdrawal of a Member State but, on the other hand, Britain's exit might allow the EU to develop a new perspective and gather new dynamics. Besides all that, I wonder what will happen to the English language if Britain leaves the EU. I supp... See more
As I haven’t had a single British client for some time (in general they say I’m too expensive), it probably wouldn’t affect me much professionally, but obviously as a European citizen and as an enthusiast pro-EU, it will be, on one hand, sad to see the withdrawal of a Member State but, on the other hand, Britain's exit might allow the EU to develop a new perspective and gather new dynamics. Besides all that, I wonder what will happen to the English language if Britain leaves the EU. I suppose some at the Académie Française are licking their lips at the prospect of Brexit: finally, France can strike back!

I also wonder what will happen to all British civil servants working in the European Institutions as these positions are reserved for EU citizens: will they all be unemployed?

[Edited at 2016-06-23 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't believe it … Jun 24, 2016

We're leaving the EU. Can't say that I am at all pleased.

Michael

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can't believe it either... Jun 24, 2016

Anyway, it's democracy at play! Brexit opened Pandora’s Box and has made a second Scottish independence referendum inevitable…What will follow?

[Edited at 2016-06-24 08:52 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:05
English to Italian
Pandora's box, indeed... Jun 24, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Anyway, it's democracy at play! Brexit opened Pandora’s Box and has made a second Scottish independence referendum inevitable…What will follow?

Until yesterday, I would've considered the following empty propaganda, but now? http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/06/24/nexit-frexit-geert-wilders-call-for-dutch-referendum/

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
£ Jun 24, 2016

One thing among many:

If the fall in £ sterling consolidates long-term somewhere around 12% (as predicted) this will push up the price of petrol, diesel and aviation fuel by that amount, although the cost of everything that is transported (i.e. everything) will increase by that 12% + the added costs. A haulage company transporting tomatoes (for example) wil have to increase its prices by the extra cost of the fuel, the vehicle, and all the spare parts for the vehicle. Added to whic
... See more
One thing among many:

If the fall in £ sterling consolidates long-term somewhere around 12% (as predicted) this will push up the price of petrol, diesel and aviation fuel by that amount, although the cost of everything that is transported (i.e. everything) will increase by that 12% + the added costs. A haulage company transporting tomatoes (for example) wil have to increase its prices by the extra cost of the fuel, the vehicle, and all the spare parts for the vehicle. Added to which the tomatoes will no longer be picked by cheap EU migrant workers but by whoever in the UK feels like going to pick tomatoes. This will all take time, of course, and it will be a time of great uncertainty. Markets hate uncertainty.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wow, so.... Jun 24, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Michael

I never thought I would agree with you about anything - but here we are, agreeing. One of the many, many problems is that there are not nearly enough skilful, highly trained people working in the British civil service who have the ability (and the agility) to negotiate trade agreements (for the past 40 years this has been done by EU officials). The UK is now going to need hundreds of individual new trade agreements, and having left the EU will be negotiating from a position of weakness (and as a country that since it wrecked its own manufacturing economy, has very little to put on the table). Good luck with that, you crowing Brexiteers.

PS oh- and the people sitting at the other side of the table will not be speaking English. Maybe that will offer rich pickings for foreign-language nationals, although since they will no longer enjoy EU working conditions they will be very hard to recruit to work in the UK....

Watching Irish and Italian television at the moment. Interesting reflections....

Ireland http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/live/7/

Italy http://www.la7.it/dirette-tv

[Edited at 2016-06-24 11:06 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what's with their hair?! Jun 24, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Until yesterday, I would've considered the following empty propaganda, but now? http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/06/24/nexit-frexit-geert-wilders-call-for-dutch-referendum/

What is it with their hair anyway, looks like they painted it on to look more Aryan.

[insert smiley face]

[insert smiley face]

???

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it had to happen sooner or later (agreeing with you on sth) Jun 24, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Michael

I never thought I would agree with you about anything - but here we are, agreeing. One of the many, many problems is that there are not nearly enough skilful, highly trained people working in the British civil service who have the ability (and the agility) to negotiate trade agreements (for the past 40 years this has been done by EU officials). The UK is now going to need hundreds of individual new trade agreements, and having left the EU will be negotiating from a position of weakness (and as a country that since it wrecked its own manufacturing economy, has very little to put on the table). Good luck with that, you crowing Brexiteers.

PS oh- and the people sitting at the other side of the table will not be speaking English. Maybe that will offer rich pickings for foreign-language nationals, although since they will no longer enjoy EU working conditions they will be very hard to recruit to work in the UK....

Watching Irish and Italian television at the moment. Interesting reflections....

Ireland http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/live/7/

Italy http://www.la7.it/dirette-tv

[Edited at 2016-06-24 09:25 GMT]

Currently wondering how this will affect me, since I am a Dutch and US citizen, living in the UK. At least my daughter will get a UK passport (as she was born here in Hastings). Will my British wife and daughter need a visa when we go visit my mum, who lives in Spain?

Also, 90% of my work is paid in euros ..., which might work out in my favour if the pound nosedives...

So many questions!

[Edited at 2016-06-24 09:40 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Here we go... Jun 24, 2016

We’ll all have (EU + UK) a very bumpy road ahead as markets hate not only uncertainty but also big changes…

See more
We’ll all have (EU + UK) a very bumpy road ahead as markets hate not only uncertainty but also big changes…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/23/markets-live-will-sterling-surge-or-slump-as-the-eu-referendum-c/
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-11/jpmorgan-this-morning-we-re-seeing-the-two-things-that-markets-hate-the-most
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You and Jun 24, 2016

Currently wondering how this will affect me, since I am a Dutch and US citizen, living in the UK

You and many thousands of other EU citizens who have been living and working happily in the UK for decades, getting married to Brits, opening businesses... this country has been taken over by a quasi-fascist rabble. I may leave.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's the case... Jun 24, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Currently wondering how this will affect me, since I am a Dutch and US citizen, living in the UK

You and many thousands of other EU citizens who have been living and working happily in the UK for decades, getting married to Brits, opening businesses... this country has been taken over by a quasi-fascist rabble. I may leave.

... of one of my brothers (he’s Portuguese like me): he studied International Hotel Management in England, married a Brit, worked all over the world and chose a small English village for his retirement…

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:05
French to English
well, look on the bright side ;-) Jun 24, 2016

At least our UK colleagues won't have to deal with VAT number problems when invoicing clients in other EU countries!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU Referendum (Brexit) voting day in the UK! Leave/Remain? Discuss?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »