Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 22:41
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Banned agency. Jul 19, 2016

Shihaoheng wrote:

To be honest their bb rating is 4.6, not a bad rating at all really. It's a mix of 5's with a couple of 1's and no real in-betweens, though I can't view the comments myself as I currently don't have a premium account.

[Edited at 2016-07-19 00:15 GMT]

An agency that had been banned from ProZ has 99% 5 score. I investigated a bit about this to find out all those translators gave them a 5 because they were scared they would not be offered new projects from them if they did otherwise.

Do I need to tell more about the credibility of BB rating?

[Edited at 2016-07-19 08:53 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
Russian to English
+ ...
post-editing Jul 19, 2016

This workflow has a name, "post-editing," and is becoming a significant trend. The client should obviously specify that that is what they want, which yours didn't. And I believe that post-editing usually uses a trainable in-house MT system, not Google Translate or other such free tools. And of course, the translator should charge appropriately.

On the other issue people have raised, BB scores, I disagree that they are useless. If you see a company that has several complaints and low
... See more
This workflow has a name, "post-editing," and is becoming a significant trend. The client should obviously specify that that is what they want, which yours didn't. And I believe that post-editing usually uses a trainable in-house MT system, not Google Translate or other such free tools. And of course, the translator should charge appropriately.

On the other issue people have raised, BB scores, I disagree that they are useless. If you see a company that has several complaints and low scores from translators, that definitely is a red flag and means you should either not work for them or do further research before accepting a job. I always use BB with new potential clients.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Not "useless" Jul 19, 2016

Susan Welsh wrote:

On the other issue people have raised, BB scores, I disagree that they are useless. If you see a company that has several complaints and low scores from translators, that definitely is a red flag and means you should either not work for them or do further research before accepting a job. I always use BB with new potential clients.

I think nobody said the BB is "useless". In fact, I always check up potential clients there, however, while a low BB score=no go, the opposite definitely isn't always true, "due to various factors", as Rachel wrote in a previous post...

Yakov Katsman
Yakov Katsman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
Member (2016)
English to Russian
Business Model Jul 19, 2016

Some agencies using term QC (Quality Control) for such jobs.
They asking quickly evaluate translation (usually low quality) and tell if it is worth to use with some editing or it is complete garbage. This way they can use very chip translators and screen them almost for free.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Some ask me to "QC" such texts Jul 19, 2016

Yakov Katsman wrote:
Some agencies using term QC (Quality Control) for such jobs.
They asking quickly evaluate translation (usually low quality) and tell if it is worth to use with some editing or it is complete garbage. This way they can use very chip translators and screen them almost for free.

They get their answer totally for free from me: I just tell them it's complete garbage and I won't touch it. Maybe I should charge for that response, but that would make them my client and I really don't want to taint my business with their money.

sazo
sazo  Identity Verified
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
@ Jul 21, 2016

Shihaoheng wrote:

Basically, I've run into an agency that consistently requests proofreading services, but rather than have a human translator translate the document from source to target, they run it through google translate and give it to a proofreader, requesting the translation be done at proofreading price.

It's bad enough if you have to proofread the work of a bad human translator, let alone of a machine translated document. If you can't manage to negotiate to translate the text properly at your translation rate, leave it. It's not worth any money or your nerves.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source + Google Translate = Proofreading Price :/

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »