Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Should I contact a former client for work ?
Thread poster: Geordi IVORY
Ramunas Kontrimas
Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 18:55
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Agree. Wait a while and get back with fresh references. Aug 10, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

In my experience, time heals all. Occasionally, through one circumstance or another, I have had reason to expect I would never get any more orders from a client. But after 6 months or so, they need someone and their other choice is not available, and they become willing to try you again, usually to get themselves out of a tight spot. That's your opportunity to rekindle the relationship, and try harder next time.

Naturally, you also need to expand your clientele, so loss of one client has little effect on you.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 04:04 GMT]

Rosalind Haigh
Rosalind Haigh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:55
German to English
+ ...
Metres/meters Aug 10, 2016

@ Lingua 5B
Here in GB we certainly understand both metre (a measure of length) and meter (a measuring device), provided they are spelt correctly in context
I would not insult a reader by offering an explanation in inches!

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to English
One more...VOT Aug 10, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm going to have to go away and research sjw and mfw.

Another one he taught me: THOT (which is a term of endearment, honest...)

Ilan Rubin (X)
Russian Federation
Russian to English
Yes but... Aug 10, 2016

Susannalangs wrote:

Here in GB we certainly understand both metre (a measure of length) and meter (a measuring device), provided they are spelt correctly in context

At school we knew a little rhyme which began 'My friend Billy'... Metres don't quite fit here...

PS: languages degree at Cambridge, then Warwick MBA, then PROZ? We are doppelgangers

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 17:55
French to English
+ ...
Why are your samples still there? Aug 10, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

I looked at the sample Fr>En translations in your profile. There are lots of errors in your English - both in sense and in punctuation. You even have a double full stop ('..') for some reason at the end of one sentence, and a space prior to a full stop at the end of another. If you can't make an effort to get your profile page right I'm not surprised that the agency hasn't got back to you, or that you don't have other work. You really need to think about whether this is the right profession for you.

You were warned about your samples hours ago, but they're still there. If you've improved as a translator since doing them you should take them down right away. Nobody who sees them will hire you as a translator.

I think you should follow Sheila's advice about sticking to your native language. That said, there's no excuse for some of the mistakes in your samples, so I would also think about Ilan's advice regarding whether you're in the right profession.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Seriously? Aug 10, 2016

Susannalangs wrote:

@ Lingua 5B

I have met a few Brits who didn't have a good perception of meters (US Spelling) unless explained. Just like I don't think in "inches". But again it may depend on context and readers group. Is it really common to express your height in meters? If I expressed my height in meters, an average Brit would get an automatic image of it? I am talking about an average reader, not about you/someone who accidentally knows about other measures.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 14:14 GMT]

Ilan Rubin (X)
Russian Federation
Russian to English
Yes, seriously Aug 10, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Susannalangs wrote:

@ Lingua 5B

I have met a few Brits who didn't have a good perception of meters (US Spelling) unless explained. Just like I don't think in "inches". But again it may depend on context and readers group. Is it really common to express your height in meters? If I expressed my height in meters, an average Brit would get an automatic image of it? I am talking about an average reader, not about you/someone who accidentally knows about other measures.

Height in the UK can be equally expressed in metres or feet. But it seems very strange to me to convert metres to inches in a translation, unless the client expressly asked for it - and in which case the client should supply the numbers, it's not the translator's job to make calculations and take on the related risk. Just as you wouldn't convert USD to GBP in a translation unless especially requested by the client.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Interesting. Aug 10, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Susannalangs wrote:

@ Lingua 5B

Height in the UK can be equally expressed in metres or feet. But it seems very strange to me to convert metres to inches in a translation, unless the client expressly asked for it - and in which case the client should supply the numbers, it's not the translator's job to make calculations and take on the related risk. Just as you wouldn't convert USD to GBP in a translation unless especially requested by the client.

But isn't expressing it in inches much more common - talking about average population? I have never heard an American or Brit expressing their height in meters (in informal setting).

If I translated a recipe, it would only take common sense - not contacting the client, to know that an average local reader would have no idea what a "cup" or "ounce" is.

Also, in engineering, we never use imperial measures.

For some other situations, I would perhaps contact a client.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The UK is (supposed to be) using the metric system, officially anyway Aug 10, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Susannalangs wrote:

@ Lingua 5B

Brits may not like it but they're obliged to accept it. This Wikipedia article seems largely correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_Kingdom
The US is a different matter altogether and, as their units don't always match the UK versions (see this table for a confusing comparison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems), it must surely be wisest to use metric for the UK (except where the client insists otherwise) and convert only for the US.

Maybe demetrication will be another major step backwards courtesy of Brexit?

Anyway folks, we digress .

Ilan Rubin (X)
Russian Federation
Russian to English
The only conversion I do... Aug 10, 2016

...is when the original Russian says something like "three and a half times less".

As I was taught in school that 1 time less is already zero I convert the expression to a fraction (if convenient) or a %.

So "three and a half times less" is like when revenues decline from 350 to 100. You can call it a decline of five-sevenths or 71% etc.

It would be interesting to know how other native English speakers handle this. I have seen "three and a half times less"
... See more
...is when the original Russian says something like "three and a half times less".

As I was taught in school that 1 time less is already zero I convert the expression to a fraction (if convenient) or a %.

So "three and a half times less" is like when revenues decline from 350 to 100. You can call it a decline of five-sevenths or 71% etc.

It would be interesting to know how other native English speakers handle this. I have seen "three and a half times less" etc in original English texts but it's quite rare.

That said, some of my clients have changed it back to the original expression.
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:55
Member (2008)
English to French
OT FYI ;-) Aug 10, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

It would be interesting to know how other native English speakers handle this. I have seen "three and a half times less" etc in original English texts but it's quite rare.

That said, some of my clients have changed it back to the original expression.

"fell to a third of its previous value" or "fell to nearly a third of its previous value" or "fell to less than a third of its previous value" depending on context (obviously works for fourth, fifth, twentieth, etc. - no way however to include that half measure - that I can of think of at least)

[Edited at 2016-08-10 20:48 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Who is suggesting that?! Aug 11, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Maybe demetrication will be another major step backwards courtesy of Brexit?

Anyway folks, we digress .

Back to the 'good' old days then all the way, is it?
A terrifying thought.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Measurements Aug 11, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Susannalangs wrote:

@ Lingua 5B

But isn't expressing it in inches much more common - talking about average population? I have never heard an American or Brit expressing their height in meters (in informal setting).

If I translated a recipe, it would only take common sense - not contacting the client, to know that an average local reader would have no idea what a "cup" or "ounce" is.

Also, in engineering, we never use imperial measures.

For some other situations, I would perhaps contact a client.

If you translate a recipe ESPECIALLY it would be very wise NOT to play around with the measurements! Depending on what is being measured, 1 cup of X certainly does not always equal the same weight in grams in every case. Case in point: 1 cup of flour is not always 340 g. It would depend on what type of flour, whether it is tightly packed in the cup or looser, and of course you have to know for sure whether it is a US cup or an imperial cup of flour, all before you could know how many grams it might equate to. And then you have to do it all over again for every single ingredient -- because 1 cup of butter does not weight the same as 1 cup of flour, for example.

When I translate for the UK market, I usually do not convert the measurements from metric except in very limited cases where I think the readership would feel more comfortable with imperial measurements or might be otherwise confused. But honestly those instances are fewer and farther between these days.

[Edited at 2016-08-11 19:57 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Cups and ounces. Aug 11, 2016

If I leave those measurements:

a) Nobody will have a clue about them (unless they research additionally)
b) The recipe will not be able to be officially published, in case there as an editing team around. They can't possibly publish something nobody will understand, especially something so critical for this type of content

And for this reason, I suggested something like double forms, or translator's note (ie. mentioning both variants), if applicable.

... See more
If I leave those measurements:

a) Nobody will have a clue about them (unless they research additionally)
b) The recipe will not be able to be officially published, in case there as an editing team around. They can't possibly publish something nobody will understand, especially something so critical for this type of content

And for this reason, I suggested something like double forms, or translator's note (ie. mentioning both variants), if applicable.

Btw, I don't really translate recipes, I was only giving an example.

And of course it depends on the readership and target group. My main source language is English, and I never received a native English copy that contains any metric measurement (so it's definitely not so common), minus perhaps some very specific areas (ie. scientific), but I am talking about average and broad audience here. It will only happen if the English content had been created by someone in continental Europe, ie. non-native speaker.

[Edited at 2016-08-11 20:33 GMT]
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Measurements Aug 11, 2016

Recipes in metric measurements are common in the UK these days - BBC Good Food and Jamie Oliver both use metric only on their websites. All our food is packaged and sold in metric. And children have been learning the metric system in schools since the 70s. I don't think the British population in general has too much trouble knowing what a metre is

[Edited at 2016-08-11 20:52 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I contact a former client for work ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »