Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Should I contact a former client for work ?
Thread poster: Geordi IVORY
Geordi IVORY
Geordi IVORY
United States
Local time: 14:32
French to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2016

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I was working with a client who giving me regular work at a decent pay for each file. Unfortunately, I missed two deadlines and the client was very disappointed with the work that I did on the file, citing a number of reasons. This ultimately ended the business relationship. I apologised, but with no success or response from the client.

What I am wondering, is it worth contacting this client again for work ? For the past few months it ha
... See more
Hello everyone,

A few months ago I was working with a client who giving me regular work at a decent pay for each file. Unfortunately, I missed two deadlines and the client was very disappointed with the work that I did on the file, citing a number of reasons. This ultimately ended the business relationship. I apologised, but with no success or response from the client.

What I am wondering, is it worth contacting this client again for work ? For the past few months it has been really difficult as I haven't found regular work.
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:32
English to Russian
+ ...
You won't get any more work (from this client) Aug 9, 2016

Geordi wrote:

Hello everyone,

What I am wondering, is it worth contacting this client again for work ? For the past few months it has been really difficult as I haven't found regular work.

You may as well try, but it won't be any use. Deadlines are sacred!

Time to look for other clients and revise your work ethic.

[Edited at 2016-08-09 17:11 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You must expect less and give more :(. Aug 9, 2016

Geordi wrote:
For the past few months it has been really difficult as I haven't found regular work.

"Regular work" is for employees. As a freelancer it's always "feast or famine" to some extent. You just have to build a great client base to make sure you get more feast than famine. Never rely too much on one client or even a handful of clients. You need to have half-a-dozen regular ones and a dozen or more "irregular" ones. You should be invoicing several each month.

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
No. Aug 9, 2016

It's not worth contacting them. Try expanding your client base, improve the quality of your translations (if you agree that the client's complaints about your translation were valid), and do whatever it takes to not miss another deadline.

Linda Li
Linda Li
United States
Local time: 16:32
English to Chinese
No harm in trying, but better to move on Aug 9, 2016

I think you can try, but honestly I don't think it will work. The best thing to do is expanding your clients and trying to meet the deadline whenever you take a project. Think carefully if you have enough time to finish a job before you accept it. Learn from this lesson, we all make mistakes, and good luck!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:32
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but give it some time Aug 10, 2016

In my experience, time heals all. Occasionally, through one circumstance or another, I have had reason to expect I would never get any more orders from a client. But after 6 months or so, they need someone and their other choice is not available, and they become willing to try you again, usually to get themselves out of a tight spot. That's your opportunity to rekindle the relationship, and try harder next time.

Naturally, you also need to expand your clientele, so loss of one cl
... See more
In my experience, time heals all. Occasionally, through one circumstance or another, I have had reason to expect I would never get any more orders from a client. But after 6 months or so, they need someone and their other choice is not available, and they become willing to try you again, usually to get themselves out of a tight spot. That's your opportunity to rekindle the relationship, and try harder next time.

Naturally, you also need to expand your clientele, so loss of one client has little effect on you.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 04:04 GMT]
Collapse

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:32
Russian to English
Sorry, but... Aug 10, 2016

I looked at the sample Fr>En translations in your profile. There are lots of errors in your English - both in sense and in punctuation. You even have a double full stop ('..') for some reason at the end of one sentence, and a space prior to a full stop at the end of another. If you can't make an effort to get your profile page right I'm not surprised that the agency hasn't got back to you, or that you don't have other work. You really need to think about whether this is the right profession for ... See more
I looked at the sample Fr>En translations in your profile. There are lots of errors in your English - both in sense and in punctuation. You even have a double full stop ('..') for some reason at the end of one sentence, and a space prior to a full stop at the end of another. If you can't make an effort to get your profile page right I'm not surprised that the agency hasn't got back to you, or that you don't have other work. You really need to think about whether this is the right profession for you.Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Full stop. Aug 10, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

I looked at the sample Fr>En translations in your profile. There are lots of errors in your English - both in sense and in punctuation. You even have a double full stop ('..') for some reason at the end of one sentence, and a space prior to a full stop at the end of another. If you can't make an effort to get your profile page right I'm not surprised that the agency hasn't got back to you, or that you don't have other work. You really need to think about whether this is the right profession for you.

Is the full stop a bigger problem than awkward English that copies the French sentence order and style literally? Also, if translation is into native English, the native English countries don't understand "meters" (minus Canada) so it could at least be localized with inches between brackets. But the biggest problem would be sense resulting from literal translation, definitely a bigger one than the space before or after anything.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 08:41 GMT]

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
also a matter of rates Aug 10, 2016

The source text of your sample also contains lots of mistakes: "la valorisation du fruit du moabi suscite un intérêt économique pour les villageois et même pour certains animaux!!!!. Les fruits contiennent une amande oléagineuses!!!. Lorsque l'amande est séchées, pliées!!!!, " Your translation is even better than the source text!!! However, your rates are far too high for the african market.

[Modifié le 2016-08-10 09:05 GMT]

[Modifié le 2016-08-10 09:06 GMT]

[Modi
... See more
The source text of your sample also contains lots of mistakes: "la valorisation du fruit du moabi suscite un intérêt économique pour les villageois et même pour certains animaux!!!!. Les fruits contiennent une amande oléagineuses!!!. Lorsque l'amande est séchées, pliées!!!!, " Your translation is even better than the source text!!! However, your rates are far too high for the african market.

[Modifié le 2016-08-10 09:05 GMT]

[Modifié le 2016-08-10 09:06 GMT]

[Modifié le 2016-08-10 09:11 GMT]

[Modifié le 2016-08-10 09:13 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
OT - worrying fact Aug 10, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:
I looked at the sample Fr>En translations in your profile. There are lots of errors in your English - both in sense and in punctuation.

I just put the first paragraph of the first one through the dreaded Google Translate (to my shame). The output was actually a far better translation (although it did make a mess of one verb).

Geordi: If you're a native speaker of Haitian Creole, then I would advise you to translate into it, provided that you are a skilled writer of the language (which certainly does not apply to all native speakers of any language). Maybe into French if you're truly bilingual, as I believe many Haitians are. But you should only deliver English text that has been checked by a proofreader (at your expense) as those samples really aren't good enough.

David GAY wrote:
However, your rates are far too high for the african market.

I'm not sure that's relevant here. And Geordi gives a wide range so there should be a market, somewhere in this Internet world we work in. The main problem is one of value for money. If you employ one translator full time then you'll want to use them fully, in all language pairs possible even if the output isn't perfect, to get maximum return on investment. However, every client who contracts the services of a freelancer (in any profession) expects perfection - the best person for that one job. If you can't provide perfection then there are plenty of others out there who can.

Geordi IVORY
Geordi IVORY
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 10, 2016

Thank yo all for your advice. As regards to the samples that I have, those are very old. I haven't updated my profile since making it. I've done a lot of translation work since then and it's about time that I make some changes and put up a quality translation.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sample errors. Aug 10, 2016

Geordi wrote:

Thank yo all for your advice. As regards to the samples that I have, those are very old. I haven't updated my profile since making it. I've done a lot of translation work since then and it's about time that I make some changes and put up a quality translation.

You said your client had cited "a number of reasons". Can you give us one example of the error they indicated, other than deadline issues? And, was the translation for that client into English or French?

[Edited at 2016-08-10 10:03 GMT]

Geordi IVORY
Geordi IVORY
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sample errors Aug 10, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

You said your client had cited "a number of reasons". Can you give us one example of the error they indicated, other than deadline issues? And, was the translation for that client into English or French?

[Edited at 2016-08-10 10:03 GMT]

File formatting (spacing) and untranslated text. It was in French

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:32
Russian to English
OT Aug 10, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

OT

Just wondering, Sheila, what OT means. Off topic?

Since I started following Milo on FB I've picked up lots of abbreviations I didn't know existed: sjw, mfw etc. 😊

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They're annoying, aren't they? Aug 10, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

OT

Just wondering, Sheila, what OT means. Off topic?

Since I started following Milo on FB I've picked up lots of abbreviations I didn't know existed: sjw, mfw etc. 😊

You guessed right, Ilan . Sorry, they're just too useful, particularly when trying to select the right letters on a tiny phone pad. And completely OT this time, I'm going to have to go away and research sjw and mfw. (I think I've got to grips with etc .)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I contact a former client for work ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »