Samurailady
Samurailady
Egypt
Local time: 16:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 14, 2016

Hi All,

Regarding my previous post for translator agreement. I just want to ask a quick question.
How does it really work for independent freelancer translators, do they sign a SLA for every agency they work for ? or they work freely without signing anything?
So if you want to work with difference agencies, do you sign a SLA for each one?
Kindly tell me how it works.

have a nice day

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It seems to vary enormously Sep 14, 2016

Samurailady wrote:
How does it really work for independent freelancer translators, do they sign a SLA for every agency they work for ? or they work freely without signing anything?

It's clear from discussions here that some translators sign wads of SLAs and NDAs, and some never start work without a PO either.

I've been freelancing for 20 years, starting with teaching and slowly switching to translating/revising starting in 2007. I've signed agreements with no more than 10 clients in that time, and I've received POs from even fewer. During that time, I've worked with clients in 31 countries spread over several continents. My recent statistics show that I've collaborated with 58 different clients since May 2012, including 19 translation agencies. I've never been scammed (fingers firmly crossed) and have only lost money due to two client bankruptcies, where no contract in the world would have seen me paid. I had to take a client to court once; one of the few who'd had me sign an SLA. Unfortunately, the SLA included a clause that seemed to justify non-payment in the circumstances. Fortunately, the judge ruled that clause abusive and awarded me costs.

So I think it's very much up to you and your suppliers and/or clients. Remember that in most jurisdictions around the world (maybe all ???) emails between two parties can constitute a contract.

Samurailady
Samurailady
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SLA for freelance translators Sep 14, 2016

Dear Sheila,

Thank you very much for your answer, I thought it was important to sign a SLA for each agency you provide services to.
but personally I do not think it is, because I can work with an agency not even knowing if they will pay me or not, and they do not know if I will deliver the project in time or not, probably I will have what they call the force majeur which will prevent me from delivering the project on time, and it did happen to me once, and once they changed t
... See more
Dear Sheila,

Thank you very much for your answer, I thought it was important to sign a SLA for each agency you provide services to.
but personally I do not think it is, because I can work with an agency not even knowing if they will pay me or not, and they do not know if I will deliver the project in time or not, probably I will have what they call the force majeur which will prevent me from delivering the project on time, and it did happen to me once, and once they changed the project they sent me after I started working in it, so many things can happen.
Beside I am not comfortable with the idea of signing many SLA if I will provide services with many agencies.
and as you said emails between two parties can constitute a contract:)

Have a nice day
Aliaa
Collapse

Samurailady
Samurailady
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SLA for freelancer translators Sep 19, 2016

Hi experienced translators,
I am back again with a question about SLA for freelancer translators, I am really confused and I need your advise.
A translation company has assigned me a project without asking me to sign a SLA in the beginning, after finishing the project, I have been asked to sign a SLA for 3 years, They know I can translate only part time because I have a job, but they informed me that they cant assign me any more projects if I don't sign the SLA that is for freelance
... See more
Hi experienced translators,
I am back again with a question about SLA for freelancer translators, I am really confused and I need your advise.
A translation company has assigned me a project without asking me to sign a SLA in the beginning, after finishing the project, I have been asked to sign a SLA for 3 years, They know I can translate only part time because I have a job, but they informed me that they cant assign me any more projects if I don't sign the SLA that is for freelancer translators, the SLA doesn't mention anything neither about translating part time freelancers, nor even termination of the SLA, it only set the rules for delivering projects and penalties.
I don't understand why they assigned me projects before and now they don't want to assign me any projects unless I signed the SLA that works like a real contract.
I read it many times and it doesn't mention any thing about my rights but mostly theirs.
and I think the 3 years period is to keep the rate unchanged all this time.
Regarding the fact that I don't feel like signing this SLA and although I really need this work, I am desperate in need of any advise you can give me experienced freelancer translators.

Thank you
Aliaa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SLA for freelance translators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »