A translator at ProZ posts jobs as outsourcer on other platform, is this OK??
Thread poster: Frank Feng
Frank Feng
Frank Feng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:07
Member (2016)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 24, 2016

Hello experts and fellow translators,

I'm a translator recently registered at ProZ. I have a situation and need to hear about your suggestions. Thank you in advance!

I take some of my translation jobs at a freelancer's platform, where I got a small job in early Sept. I did it and got paid, nothing wrong. Today, I noticed another job post from the same outsourcer whom I did the job for, I checked it and noticed the file to be translated is obviously some test translati
... See more
Hello experts and fellow translators,

I'm a translator recently registered at ProZ. I have a situation and need to hear about your suggestions. Thank you in advance!

I take some of my translation jobs at a freelancer's platform, where I got a small job in early Sept. I did it and got paid, nothing wrong. Today, I noticed another job post from the same outsourcer whom I did the job for, I checked it and noticed the file to be translated is obviously some test translation job for translators - it contains 4 sections labeled as "General", "Legal", "Manufacturing" and "Technical", totally about 1,000 words. The outsourcer said nothing about "test job" or "sub contract" in the job post, just "I need the attached file translated. please let me know your fix price and delivering time."

I got curious and searched the outsourcer's name and found a translator's profile here at ProZ, which claims the credential and translation service in the same language pair as the jobs posted on the freelancer's platform I mentioned. I checked the outsourcer's history of job posting, there are dozens of translation jobs. Most of the jobs are small ones priced lower than $40 or $10/hr. (you can see the cost of finished jobs on that platform)

I understand it may be a common practice that some translators sub-contracting his or her job to other translators, and make some profit, but to sub-contract one's testing job?

I'd like to hear your opinion about this - Is this proper? Is this common? Any suggestion?

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:07
English to Thai
+ ...
Escalating test translation Sep 25, 2016

Frank Feng wrote:

I understand it may be a common practice that some translators sub-contracting his or her job to other translators, and make some profit, but to sub-contract one's testing job?

I'd like to hear your opinion about this - Is this proper? Is this common? Any suggestion?

I learned from many translators that trial translation demands are rising since more translation providers exist in the Internet-based job offers. The trial translation requests change in a number of patterns. I am not surprised that trial translation is sub-contracted to other linguists. In fact, trial translation output is doubtful since it rarely induces to actual job orders.
I suggest that Frank does not take serious of such test translation request.

Soonthon L.

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 18:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Doesn't sound ethical to me Sep 25, 2016

It's a good sign of your gut ethical sense that something is not right in the situation you describe. It is just plain unethical for a translation test to be outsourced under false pretenses. For one, if the translator is being tested by a client or agency in order to demonstrate his or her linguistic skills, the text should not be outsourced to someone else unless ALL three parties are clear about the arrangement. Since the job post did not say that the job was for a test, then the outsourcer i... See more
It's a good sign of your gut ethical sense that something is not right in the situation you describe. It is just plain unethical for a translation test to be outsourced under false pretenses. For one, if the translator is being tested by a client or agency in order to demonstrate his or her linguistic skills, the text should not be outsourced to someone else unless ALL three parties are clear about the arrangement. Since the job post did not say that the job was for a test, then the outsourcer is not being transparent or honest with those he or she will hire to do the actual translation, and therefore probably not being transparent or honest with the agency either. This is basically impersonation. If the outsourcer is being unethical in this regard, I would not trust any other business practices he or she may engage in either.

This outsourcer is probably one of a growing number of translators who are preying on each other and cannibalizing the profession. They simply hire someone else to do the job for a third party, keep part of the profit, and add no value at all. Sometimes they don't even know the languages involved. They are imitating the worst of the predatory pseudo-agencies that so many of us complain about here in Proz.com forums.

An ethical outsourcer should be a highly experienced translator who outsources only in languages he or she knows, would search ahead of time for qualified translators who are skilled and trusted before assigning jobs, and would add value to the translation by reviewing, revising, and/or formatting it before returning it to the client, thus earning the profit kept. In other words, outsourcers should be more advanced translators than those to whom they outsource jobs, since they will be responsible for assuring the quality of the final product. They rarely outsource jobs on the fly to just anybody who submits a bid (as in the example you gave), only in extreme circumstances, and even then, they usually tap into a network of translators they already know through long experience interacting with other translators in forums and associations.

Note that Proz.com has a rule that similarly requires transparency and honesty: one of the rules for asking Kudoz questions requires a test question be labelled as such:

"2.7. Labeling of certain types of questions is required.
Term questions that are either derived from a translation test, or which contain content that may be perceived as offensive by others, should be marked using the checkboxes provided in the posting form."

So, like Soonthon, I urge you to avoid this particular job; I would go further and recommend you stay away from that outsourcer altogether.
Collapse

Frank Feng
China
Member (2016)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the test requests Sep 25, 2016

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Frank Feng wrote:

I learned from many translators that trial translation demands are rising since more translation providers exist in the Internet-based job offers. The trial translation requests change in a number of patterns. I am not surprised that trial translation is sub-contracted to other linguists. In fact, trial translation output is doubtful since it rarely induces to actual job orders.
I suggest that Frank does not take serious of such test translation request.

Soonthon L.

Hi Soonthon, thank you very much for your reply. I'll be more cautious about the test translation requests I get in the future.

Frank

Frank Feng
China
Member (2016)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
he/she is outsourcing jobs of translating into non-native language Sep 25, 2016

Catherine V. Howard wrote:

This outsourcer is probably one of a growing number of translators who are preying on each other and cannibalizing the profession. They simply hire someone else to do the job for a third party, keep part of the profit, and add no value at all. Sometimes they don't even know the languages involved. They are imitating the worst of the predatory pseudo-agencies that so many of us complain about here in Proz.com forums.

Hi Catherine, thank you very much for your reply. You gave me a better view of the situation.

Actually, according to this translator's profile here, he/she claims being able to translate into Chinese, which is not his/her native language. And he/she is outsourcing lots of translating jobs which are into Chinese...

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:07
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Ethically not okay Sep 25, 2016

In my opinion, ethically it's not okay, but this person will learn the hard way and find himself/herself in big trouble one day due to unethical business behavior. What goes around comes around. Just let it be.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:07
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hear, hear and thrice hear! Sep 25, 2016

An ethical outsourcer should be a highly experienced translator who outsources only in languages he or she knows, would search ahead of time for qualified translators who are skilled and trusted before assigning jobs, and would add value to the translation by reviewing, revising, and/or formatting it before returning it to the client, thus earning the profit kept. In other words, outsourcers should be more advanced translators than those to whom they outsource jobs, since they will be responsible for assuring the quality of the final product. They rarely outsource jobs on the fly to just anybody who submits a bid (as in the example you gave), only in extreme circumstances, and even then, they usually tap into a network of translators they already know through long experience interacting with other translators in forums and associations.

Thank you for drawing attention to this growing practice.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:07
English to Italian
Like button Sep 25, 2016

It's a good sign of your gut ethical sense that something is not right in the situation you describe. It is just plain unethical for a translation test to be outsourced under false pretenses. For one, if the translator is being tested by a client or agency in order to demonstrate his or her linguistic skills, the text should not be outsourced to someone else unless ALL three parties are clear about the arrangement. Since the job post did not say that the job was for a test, then the outsourcer is not being transparent or honest with those he or she will hire to do the actual translation, and therefore probably not being transparent or honest with the agency either. This is basically impersonation. If the outsourcer is being unethical in this regard, I would not trust any other business practices he or she may engage in either.

Note that Proz.com has a rule that similarly requires transparency and honesty: one of the rules for asking Kudoz questions requires a test question be labelled as such:

"2.7. Labeling of certain types of questions is required.
Term questions that are either derived from a translation test, or which contain content that may be perceived as offensive by others, should be marked using the checkboxes provided in the posting form."

So, like Soonthon, I urge you to avoid this particular job; I would go further and recommend you stay away from that outsourcer altogether.

Given ProZ's progressive socialnetworkification, they could as well add a Like button to the fora...

In other words: +1

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Could this be possible? Sep 25, 2016

Maybe it's a paid test translation?

Unlikely though. More likely to be a loathesome agent/broker posing as a translator.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 00:07
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, but there's more... Sep 25, 2016

In other words, outsourcers should be more advanced translators than those to whom they outsource jobs, since they will be responsible for assuring the quality of the final product. They rarely outsource jobs on the fly to just anybody who submits a bid (as in the example you gave), only in extreme circumstances, and even then, they usually tap into a network of translators they already know through long experience interacting with other translators in forums and associations.

Isn't this true for proofreaders/revisers as well? Shouldn't they be more advanced linguists than translators whose work they proofread? Is this always the case? It is mostly not the case, because the proofreading task will be outsourced to whoever is available a the moment or whoever quotes the lowest amount, without looking into how advanced or not advanced they are in terms of language skills. The revisers are putting the final stamp on the quality, so should they not be super advanced? In freelance translation, I have seen people without any skills or degrees revising texts done by professional, experienced translators with credentials. It seems like one cannot expect anything better than that in a totally unregulated profession and market.

Regarding the OP: this may well be the case of a paid job misrepresented as test translation.

[Edited at 2016-09-25 09:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translator at ProZ posts jobs as outsourcer on other platform, is this OK??

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »