Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wrong streets Oct 5, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

... and just spit on him?

Is this a cultural thing?

In complex with peeing and puking in the streets under influence, this is the most common feature of once Great Britain urban culture.

You've been to the wrong streets.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
manners Oct 5, 2017

David Jessop wrote:

Abusiveness or insulting behavior is never okay.

This reminded me of a piece of dialogue in Howard Hawks' "The Big Sleep", where Humphrey Bogart says to Lauren Bacall

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings",

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:46
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Pay the translator Oct 20, 2017

Pay him. You already got the translation. And your client has used it. What are you thinking?

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
To digress a bit further ... Oct 21, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

In complex with peeing and puking in the streets under influence, this is the most common feature of once Great Britain urban culture.

I'm willing to believe that not all streets are "the wrong streets" - but where are they? Especially on a Friday or Saturday night ...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
To continue the digression... Oct 21, 2017

Daryo wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

I'm willing to believe that not all streets are "the wrong streets" - but where are they? Especially on a Friday or Saturday night ...

"He who is tired of London is tired of life". Dr. Johnson

Scruffiness, bawdiness, drunkenness, squalor and bad smells are characteristic of London. If you just want everything to be nice, don't come.

01A19C72000004B0-0-image-a-83_1477042646871

[Edited at 2017-10-21 10:32 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
French to English
@Alex Oct 21, 2017

As this thread is dragging on, I just hope that you have managed to rise above what upset you in the translator's behaivour and that you have paid him. Witholding payment when you have received the work is out of line.

When a client of mine does not pay, once beyond the initial reminder has been sent, I follow it up with a formal demand in a signed-for mail. Then I wait one week and take steps for recovery. Once that happens, the defaulting client finishes up paying interest and a p
... See more
As this thread is dragging on, I just hope that you have managed to rise above what upset you in the translator's behaivour and that you have paid him. Witholding payment when you have received the work is out of line.

When a client of mine does not pay, once beyond the initial reminder has been sent, I follow it up with a formal demand in a signed-for mail. Then I wait one week and take steps for recovery. Once that happens, the defaulting client finishes up paying interest and a penalty fee. The sharper clients pay straight away. Those who don't, end up with a jugment debt against them. That affects their ability to obtain credit. If the client still fails to pay, then it shifts up a gear to proceedings for enforcement of the judgment, increasing costs for the client at the end of the day. If the client is in fact unable to pay, then it means I have run up unnecessary costs and I will share my experience to make sure others don't waste time working with the individual or company in question. Chances are, I will already have communicated the issue by the judgment debt stage.

In my early days, I had a couple of clients who systematically paid late, but after a reminder, they always paid. That was bad enough, so I learnt to be more strict. I now have next to no trouble being paid. I simply suggest as I did at the begining, that if you have not paid this guy, now, in October, two months after your initial post, then the situation may end up backfiring for yourself.
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:46
German to English
+ ...
you forgot to mention Oct 21, 2017

[quote]Tom in London wrote:

Daryo wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Scruffiness, bawdiness, drunkenness, squalor and bad smells are characteristic of London. If you just want everything to be nice, don't come.
[guote]

knife crime, acid crime, hate crime and other prominent features of british "culture" and not characteristic exclusively of London. When somebody tries to poke fun at somebody's "cultural thing", it's extremely useful to remember the old saying about glass houses and stones.

[Edited at 2017-10-21 15:51 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Terrible Oct 21, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

knife crime, acid crime, hate crime and other prominent features of british "culture"

Yes- living here is really awful

😃😃😃

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
another go at the digression ... Dec 8, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Daryo wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

01A19C72000004B0-0-image-a-83_1477042646871

[Edited at 2017-10-21 10:32 GMT]

Ah yes, I forgot about that one - the time-honoured, tried-and-tested, in fact a very useful method - if you can't deny it, just put the right spin on it ...

JaredK
JaredK
Australia
Local time: 19:46
Chinese to English
Pay It and Move On Dec 9, 2017

Regi2006 wrote:

Pay him. You already got the translation. And your client has used it. What are you thinking?

Just pay the translator and move on. Even though I believe if you agree on a specified format and get something different it is very poor from the translator, there is no point in trying to get an apology if your client has used the file.

Jared Kirkwood
NAATI 90003
Translation Bound
www.translationbound.com

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I deserve an apology?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »