Ethics of translation
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2017

Following up on some thoughts left by a colleague who was pondering about the ethics of a particular translation situation, I came up with one to cook your noodle.

I recently read a couple of articles on Facebook. One is here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-09-21/mark-zuckerberg-s-political-awakening

According
... See more
Following up on some thoughts left by a colleague who was pondering about the ethics of a particular translation situation, I came up with one to cook your noodle.

I recently read a couple of articles on Facebook. One is here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-09-21/mark-zuckerberg-s-political-awakening

According to this article, Mr. Zuckerberg thinks the interests of people and the interests of businesses are “pretty aligned.” A more worrisome article on Bloomberg BusinessWeek appeared: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-12-07/how-rodrigo-duterte-turned-facebook-into-a-weapon-with-a-little-help-from-facebook
According to this article, after Duterte's win, Facebook helped the new government use Facebook as a premier platform:

“After Duterte won, Facebook did what it does for governments all over the world—it began deepening its partnership with the new administration, offering white-glove services to help it maximize the platform’s potential and use best practices. Even as Duterte banned the independent press from covering his inauguration live from inside Rizal Ceremonial Hall, the new administration arranged for the event to be streamed on Facebook, giving Filipinos around the world insider access to pre- and post-ceremonial events as they met their new strongman.”

Then I've read about Uber using shady espionage tactics.

Now, the point I'm trying to make is simple: we may decide, on the facts and news we encounter, that we disapprove of this or that company, government, public figure, etc. A very visible phenomenon becomes the object of a very personal decision and preference. Say I'm against Nestlé's bottled water industry because, based on what I've read, Nestlé goes around and sets up shop in weak municipalities with poor regulatory power in order to extract water almost for free and sell it at an obscene profit margin. Say I have a strong mind about it and decide to boycot Nestlé's bottled water. Fine, that. But then I find a new customer who sends me technical documents that I'm happy to translate…only that the Nestlé's name is all over them. Should I translate them or not?

Same thing with Facebook, Uber, Google, IBM, the Myanmar government, etc. We are ethical animals so we develop ethical purposes and objectives and standards for ourselves. To me, it would boil down to priorities: do I express my ethical displeasure towards Nestlé's bottled water business or get on with the new customer's translation?

That begs another question in my mind: “Is this, my refusing to translate material for a greedy corporation, the best way to uphold my ethical goals?” I'm afraid not. I could do a number of other things that have a more tangible impact and that could actually benefit society, like writing to my mayor or city councilors, congresspeople, etc., organizing a writing campaign, setting up a blog with factual information about the corporation's maneuvering that I find objectionable, etc. Do these steps show fast results? Probably not, and some of them may fail to reach its stated objectives. But that's the meaning of playing the long game in many aspects of life.

Or I could go for the quick fix and refuse to translate something for greedy Nestlé or Facebook in order to get a moral high for my conscience and tell others how good it feels to do something for the environment or for society.

Like I said, it's a personal quandary but a worthy one to resolve for achieving long-term goals.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster decided to delete the post.
Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:19
Member (2016)
English to German
Both Dec 18, 2017

[Edited at 2017-12-18 17:06 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My suggestion Dec 18, 2017

Apparently, some are literalists, lack a basic sense of civility or can't/won't understand rhetorical questions. Whatever the case, may I ask you, The Misha and Jan Truper, to reconsider your postings?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
A political answer Dec 18, 2017

I don’t know if we are ethical animals, but, as Aristotle put it, we certainly are political animals.

In my view, such subjects (as well as discussions pertaining to the future of translation, for example) require answers that are political in nature (“political” being defined rather broadly here). Because the ProZ.com Site and Forum rules that seem to ban “political” postings, I generally refrain from answering in such a manner. I apologize in advance if this post is deem
... See more
I don’t know if we are ethical animals, but, as Aristotle put it, we certainly are political animals.

In my view, such subjects (as well as discussions pertaining to the future of translation, for example) require answers that are political in nature (“political” being defined rather broadly here). Because the ProZ.com Site and Forum rules that seem to ban “political” postings, I generally refrain from answering in such a manner. I apologize in advance if this post is deemed inappropriate in that respect. Should this be the case, by all means hide it from view.

So, to answer, here’s a question: Do you see your professional activity (translation, in our case) as completely separated from your life? I for one don’t necessarily subscribe to a compartmentalized view of human activity, one that would dictate that anything that can be seen as “personal” or “ethical” has no place in my line of work. Even businesses can have “social responsibility engagements” (even if this is often just a marketing trope). Being professionally independent can help those aspiring otherwise. Of course, we all live with and choose our contradictions, so it is up to each of us to decide their stance, how much their work and actions should be aligned with their political/ethical views.

I somehow fail to see how “fighting the system from within” via actions that only tend to reproduce it (voting, writing to the mayor or to congresspeople, petitioning, lobbying) can be seen as preferable to choosing where to personally draw the line when you accept translation assignments. In my book, refusing to translate something because of a “moral conflict of interest” is just as valid as basing your refusal on other “conflicts of interest”. At any rate, why see one decision separately from everything else? One action does not exclude other actions. You can refuse a job on moral/political grounds and still get to address your congressman, if you feel this will help produce a tangible impact on society.

In SFT’s code of professional conduct, one can read the following:

“Translators shall carry out their work with honesty and integrity, these two qualities being the foundation of trust between them and their clients.
Translators shall not accept work that would demean them or their profession. ”

Honesty and integrity are the same qualities you adhere to when aligning your beliefs with your actions.

Regarding the part about “demeaning”, the French original states “Le traducteur s’engage à ne pas accepter de mission qui l’obligerait à porter atteinte à sa dignité ou à celle de la profession.”, which would translate back as: “The translator agrees to refrain from accepting assignments that would force him/her to violate his/her dignity or that of his/her profession.”

Well, I don’t think the concept of dignity is alien to what one finds acceptable as an individual.

Finally, I would say the idea that people and the interests of businesses are pretty aligned cannot be further from the truth.
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Dec 18, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Apparently, some are literalists, lack a basic sense of civility or can't/won't understand rhetorical questions. Whatever the case, may I ask you, The Misha and Jan Truper, to reconsider your postings?

My posting was a response to Misha's posting, not to yours.

FYI, there was another thread where we discussed ethical aspects of translation recently.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aligning beliefs with actions Dec 18, 2017

Hi, Jean,

Broadly speaking, I'd say that “political animals” covers the ethical part as well. The problem that can be found in the process of aligning beliefs with actions is defining what a belief is. Considering what's been going on in my country, where a public official can refuse to sign a marriage license to a couple simply because they're homosexuals, that is, the official finds their “lifestyle” offensive to her beliefs. Or a nurse who refuses to take a vaccine becaus
... See more
Hi, Jean,

Broadly speaking, I'd say that “political animals” covers the ethical part as well. The problem that can be found in the process of aligning beliefs with actions is defining what a belief is. Considering what's been going on in my country, where a public official can refuse to sign a marriage license to a couple simply because they're homosexuals, that is, the official finds their “lifestyle” offensive to her beliefs. Or a nurse who refuses to take a vaccine because it's “against his/her beliefs.” In those cases, a person's belief is conflated with his/her sense of ethics, or ethical performance on the job or as a professional.

If I were the nurse in question, I might personally believe that certain vaccines are too risky (whether that belief is science-based or not is simply my personal choice), yet I may follow the institutional “belief” that it is not only appropriate (we are a hospital) but also ethical (we take care of people's lives and wellbeing) to go ahead with the immunization.

On the other hand—as it were— I could be a translator or interpreter who doesn't believe in vaccinating children and consequently may refuse to translate or interpret text or instructions to vaccinate because I would feel it's unethical for me to do it.

I recently read that IBM, according to its CEO, has never given political contributions to any party. Ever. That statement struck me as quaint, because American companies are legally allowed to give political contributions (just not to candidates directly), and that has been the case even before Citizens United vs. FEC. Most companies I've worked with had approached the stance with their own ethical focus: give money to both major parties and invite their employees to do the same (only to one or other party as the employee's conscience allows).

Of course, like you, I'm not meaning to represent anything political in nature. And I think the majority of individuals do act according to their personal beliefs or choices of belief.

In short, Jean, I think we can build our own choices depending on our priorities. To some, those priorities are black and white, good or evil, for it or against it. I think we, the political-ethical animals, are more complex than that.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Difficult to see what the question is Dec 18, 2017

In a nutshell, is this basically an open question to the effect of : on what ethical criteria might we decide to refuse an offer ?

[Edited at 2017-12-18 13:11 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sort of a follow-up Dec 18, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

In a nutshell, is this basically an open question to the effect of : on what ethical criteria might we decide to refuse an offer ?

There was a lengthy thread about a translator who refused to translate for a particular company weeks ago. That and the readings I mention in my OP prompted me to write this.

My posting is not a question, a search for help or some inner battle with a decision. Not every original posting has to be a question or a request for help.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seems like quite a change of heart Dec 18, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

There was a lengthy thread about a translator who refused to translate for a particular company weeks ago. That and the readings I mention in my OP prompted me to write this.

My posting is not a question, a search for help or some inner battle with a decision. Not every original posting has to be a question or a request for help.

I can understand Nikki's puzzlement, since you yourself characterized your initial post as "an open question."

I myself am puzzled, because the earlier thread that I assume you are referring to (link below) prominently featured your replies that repeatedly scolded and scorned the original poster for having the selfsame concerns that you are expressing now, and that even accused her of a kind of moral grandstanding.

Now, you speak of a wrenching "inner battle" you are faced with by the prospect of contributing to the megaprofits of Fortune 500 companies whose ethical practices you find questionable. (How many of these companies are requesting your services, and for what particular projects that you find objectionable?)

Given your earlier stance, it would at least seem fair to expect you to provide some explanation of why an issue you earlier scoffed at now apparently touches you so very deeply.

https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/320443-i_just_declined_an_offer_because_of_the_client_the_translation_would_be_for.html

[Edited at 2017-12-18 18:27 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No reason for puzzlement Dec 18, 2017

Robert Forstag wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

I can understand Nikki's puzzlement, since you yourself characterized your initial post as "an open question."

I myself am puzzled, because the earlier thread that I assume you are referring to (link below) prominently featured your replies that repeatedly scolded and scorned the original poster for having the selfsame concerns that you are expressing now, and that even accused her of a kind of moral grandstanding.

Now, you speak of a wrenching "inner battle" you are faced by the prospect of contributing to the megaprofits of Fortune 500 companies whose ethical practices you find questionable. (How many of these companies are requesting your services, and for what particular projects that you find objectionable?)

Given your earlier stance, it would at least seem fair to expect you to provide some explanation of why an issue you earlier scoffed at now apparently touches you so very deeply.

https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/320443-i_just_declined_an_offer_because_of_the_client_the_translation_would_be_for.html

[Edited at 2017-12-18 16:51 GMT]

I don't subscribe to that literalistic view of my posting. Just because it includes “open question” doesn't mean the whole thing is. If Nikki is not satisfied with my explanation, wouldn't it be more appropriate to let her indicate so, or not?

My posting clearly provides scenarios, not actual questions that I'm contemplating and/or need help resolving. Please re read.

[Edited at 2017-12-18 16:59 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Thank you Dec 18, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Yes, I think I can recall that post. There have been other similar posts in the past too.

As you formulated one or two questions, I was wondering whether they were rhetorical or whether you were actually hoping to elicit answers that would address those questions very specifically. I think I now understand that it is very much a point-of-view post, that the questions are indeed rhetorical and that you probably hope that other might wish to express their views on the subject.

[Edited at 2017-12-18 18:42 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 16:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
Draw the line Dec 18, 2017

I think what is or is not ethical is for everyone to decide for him/her self. I draw a thick red line when my translation would help promote something that is potentially harmful to any person or group (although even that in itself is sometimes difficult to determine).

As translators, we need to keep in mind that everyone has a right to freedom of expression. So I draw thinner lines when someone is simply defending his/her position, depending on how strong my feelings are about it.
... See more
I think what is or is not ethical is for everyone to decide for him/her self. I draw a thick red line when my translation would help promote something that is potentially harmful to any person or group (although even that in itself is sometimes difficult to determine).

As translators, we need to keep in mind that everyone has a right to freedom of expression. So I draw thinner lines when someone is simply defending his/her position, depending on how strong my feelings are about it. Sometimes a translation actually helps in sorting out and understanding the real issues and what is my own reaction to that. I don't think it is possible to make sweeping rules or criteria that would cover every person and every situation. I can only 'trust my gut' as to where to draw my lines.

[Edited at 2017-12-18 22:48 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Point of view Dec 18, 2017

I think I now understand that it is very much a point-of-view post, that the questions are indeed rhetorical and that you probably hope that other might wish to express their views on the subject.

Exactly. Maybe I'll borrow your statement “point-of-view post” to avoid confusion in the future.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No sweeping rules, for sure Dec 18, 2017

Tina Vonhof wrote:

As translators, we need to keep in mind that everyone has a right to freedom of expression. So I draw thinner lines when someone is simply defending his/her position, depending on how strong my feelings are about it. Sometimes a translation actually helps in sorting out and understanding the real issues and what is my own reaction to that. I don't think it is possible to make sweeping rules or criteria that would cover every person and every situation. I can only 'trust my gut' as to where to draw my lines.

[Edited at 2017-12-18 22:48 GMT]

Well put, Tina. Since there are freedom of expression aspects and personal red lines drawn in many situations, I think it's not possible or advisable to extrapolate what one person considers ethical/unethical reaction to a situation to our own.

As Nikki wisely noticed, my attempt (now all too obvious) was to present my point of view, not to recommend universal behaviors.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ethics of translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »