Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Is there a demand for a translation memory exchange?
Thread poster: sdvplatt
sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:40
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
lost puppies.. Mar 12, 2018

Andy Watkinson wrote:

deutschenglisch wrote:

If you let emotions rule your head you are one lost puppy ....

What on earth are you talking about?

(But thanks for "puppy" - makes me feel young again

The tone is emotional. There is no need. OP was just an idea. Would it work or not?
Some translators would like to leave at some point and what can they do with all this value? Seems like a waste.
Other businesses are sold on for their database content, why couldnt TMs be packaged and sold on in a similar way. This expertise should not just go to waste. But how to crystallize it?

As for puppies, just something that came into my head. I imagined a (cute) lill' pup in a box trying to scratch its way out.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:40
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Why not try aligning instead? Mar 12, 2018

Now we have discussed this idea back and forth and nobody is convincing anyone. I am as sceptical as ever about TMs, especially as I find other people's terminology useful, but not their TMs.

I have at times deleted sensitive data from project TMs before adding them to the main TM, but not always. Filtering TMs by date might actually allow reconstruction of sensitive documents with some after-editing, I don't know, so I prefer not to run the risk.

To look at the idea fr
... See more
Now we have discussed this idea back and forth and nobody is convincing anyone. I am as sceptical as ever about TMs, especially as I find other people's terminology useful, but not their TMs.

I have at times deleted sensitive data from project TMs before adding them to the main TM, but not always. Filtering TMs by date might actually allow reconstruction of sensitive documents with some after-editing, I don't know, so I prefer not to run the risk.

To look at the idea from a different angle, however, it might be possible to form a very useful TM by aligning selected source texts with their translations instead of using the whole rag-bag of a TM directly built up from translation. For every gem in my TMs, I know there is a lot of junk, and the computer is just as likely to come up with the outdated junk as the really useful stuff. A selection process would make it possible to remove the enormous amounts of dead wood that have also accumulated in my TMs, and probably in most people's.

All sensitive information like names and personal details could be deleted or anonymised, and you would still have the parts that are actually useful in a TM.

Admittedly, this approach would take a lot more work, first to prepare the texts, and then to check through the alignments. I frequently divide or merge segments as I translate, so it would call for a serious effort.

I am still not going to sell my archives of finished work, of course - that WOULD violate NDAs. I can't imagine I will ever have the time to pick out suitable anonymised sections either. So although it is possible in principle, it is not likely to happen.

There is so much material already in the public domain, which is already being collected and juggled around with... including a few drops in the ocean translated by me. Anyone can start collecting and aligning that if they have the time.

My TMs will be deleted when I no longer need them myself, and I don't think they are a great loss to the world, useful as they are to me.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a demand for a translation memory exchange?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »