Why do some agencies want free tests?
Thread poster: John Fossey
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:16
English to Turkish
For as long as they are assessed fairly Apr 6, 2018

I don't think many of you native English speakers would have such a problem, but unfortunately those of us the native speakers of less in demand languages such as Turkish run into this problem from time to time...
In my case, test pieces are usually assessed by freelance Turkish translators who work for the agency and, more often than not, they tend to dislike the idea of a newcomer/rival who has the potential to vie for already scarce translation jobs in their language pair. Needless to
... See more
I don't think many of you native English speakers would have such a problem, but unfortunately those of us the native speakers of less in demand languages such as Turkish run into this problem from time to time...
In my case, test pieces are usually assessed by freelance Turkish translators who work for the agency and, more often than not, they tend to dislike the idea of a newcomer/rival who has the potential to vie for already scarce translation jobs in their language pair. Needless to say that this attitude reflects on their judgment. I have seen such maliciously assessed, erroneously 'corrected' test pieces over the years that I have become wary of taking tests.
I don't mind taking free tests for as long as they are assessed fairly by an independent third party who is not affiliated with or has any financial interest in the translation agency. But unfortunately this is only a pipe dream.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do some agencies want free tests?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »