Translating for companies
Thread poster: Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Ireland
English to Irish
+ ...
Jun 1, 2018

Be careful when you are translating for companies, they can confuse you very easily.
An American company did that to me today. I am seriously considering not working for them again.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:46
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Roisin Jun 1, 2018

Roisin Ni Cheallaigh wrote:
Be careful when you are translating for companies, they can confuse you very easily. A ... company did that to me today. I am seriously considering not working for them again.

What happened, Roisin? What was the confusion about?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:46
German to English
Translation companies or direct corporate clients? Jun 1, 2018

Be careful when you are translating for companies, they can confuse you very easily.
An American company did that to me today. I am seriously considering not working for them again.

Your post is very unclear.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm always careful... Jun 1, 2018

.. but I wonder what happened to you!

Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Ireland
English to Irish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translating for companies Jun 1, 2018

This is my first time getting work from Translation Companies.
The mistake I made was I used the comments to proofread the document instead of proofreading for punctuation. I hope I am not unemployable after this?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 07:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Proofreading Jun 1, 2018

Proofreading includes everything from the translation to punctuation, formatting, page numbers, etc. If possible you leave the document for a day or at least a few hours, proofread it again, and proofread on paper if you can. It's amazing how many more things you see on paper than on your screen.

I would not shy away from working with translation agencies just because of this one misunderstanding or mistake that, by your own admission, may have been your own. Work for this agency o
... See more
Proofreading includes everything from the translation to punctuation, formatting, page numbers, etc. If possible you leave the document for a day or at least a few hours, proofread it again, and proofread on paper if you can. It's amazing how many more things you see on paper than on your screen.

I would not shy away from working with translation agencies just because of this one misunderstanding or mistake that, by your own admission, may have been your own. Work for this agency once more if they ask you, make sure everything is clear and understood, and see how it goes. Of course translation agencies are a dime a dozen, some are good, some not so good, some pay well, others don't. You need to try a few and 'feel' your way around, develop relationships with the PMs.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:46
German to English
Don't hesitate to query the project manager Jun 1, 2018

This is my first time getting work from Translation Companies.
The mistake I made was I used the comments to proofread the document instead of proofreading for punctuation. I hope I am not unemployable after this?

Sometimes the instructions for a job are not spelled out very clearly. If you have any doubts regarding what is expected of you, it is important to get clarification from your customer.
Most PMs will not think ill of you if you ask sensible questions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating for companies

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »