Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Should I accept this job? (Large project, 25% payment up front, unable to verify client online)
Thread poster: L Astrup
L Astrup
L Astrup  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:07
English to Danish
Sep 18, 2018

Good morning everyone,

I have received a translation offer via Proz. The client has just signed up this September. The client has one PDF file to be translated and it is rather large and I have been offered 25% up front and my first offer on per word charge. I cannot look him up anywhere online and the address he has provided for invoicing does not have his name connected to it. Should I say yes or is it too risky?

Any advice is welcome and I thank you in advance,
... See more
Good morning everyone,

I have received a translation offer via Proz. The client has just signed up this September. The client has one PDF file to be translated and it is rather large and I have been offered 25% up front and my first offer on per word charge. I cannot look him up anywhere online and the address he has provided for invoicing does not have his name connected to it. Should I say yes or is it too risky?

Any advice is welcome and I thank you in advance,
Lene
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:07
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ask him Sep 18, 2018

1. Ask him to supply the file converted into a Word file that you can work with.
2. Tell him that you require the registered address of his business, and confirmation of the job, before you can begin work.

If he fails to satisfy you on either point, don't accept the job.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
L Astrup
P.L.F. Persio
Tradupro17
Sayuri Norrish
Touchstone_Tran
Kevin Fulton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Sep 18, 2018

A large project from a first-time client + 25% upfront looks fishy or too good to be true…

Tom in London
L Astrup
Christophe Charlec
Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Christophe Delaunay
Dmytro Nehrii
Giray Türkmen

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
No one has ever regretted ... Sep 18, 2018

... performing due diligence. Getting a telephone number from the prospective client is a step in that direction. The cost of a long-distance telephone call is a small price to pay to avoid being scammed. If you're satisfied that the offer is legitimate, then accept it.

If you have the pdf, try running a Google search on a few sentences. This often reveals a scam.

Although the proposal seems risky, it is also possible that the potential client doesn't know how to go ab
... See more
... performing due diligence. Getting a telephone number from the prospective client is a step in that direction. The cost of a long-distance telephone call is a small price to pay to avoid being scammed. If you're satisfied that the offer is legitimate, then accept it.

If you have the pdf, try running a Google search on a few sentences. This often reveals a scam.

Although the proposal seems risky, it is also possible that the potential client doesn't know how to go about ordering a translation. The world is full of inept but otherwise honest people – or so I'm told.
Collapse

Tradupro17
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 08:07
English to German
In memoriam
Payment method? Sep 18, 2018

An up front payment sounds not so bad - the question is, what payment method will be used? If it's a safe payment method, like bank transfer, why not? If it's an unsafe payment method, like a check, watch out.

Philippe Etienne
Jean Chao
Daryo

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why can't you check it out? Sep 18, 2018

L Astrup wrote:
I cannot look him up anywhere online and the address he has provided for invoicing does not have his name connected to it. Should I say yes or is it too risky?

Do you mean you've looked and can't find him? I'm 99.5% certain this is a scam. Here are some things I suggest you try:
- do some Googling: Search for "scam" along with his personal name, his email address, and his company name
- check out the address on Google Earth. It may not be useful, or it may look very odd.
- check the company name against the official register of companies in his country. They're often available online and all you really need to do at the moment is check if it exists at the right address.
- check out the Scam Centre here on ProZ.com.

I think the Scam Centre may well be exactly what you're looking for - you may recognise the scenario you're dealing with.

Philippe Etienne
Tradupro17
IrinaN

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Should I accept this job? Sep 19, 2018

Whenever I receive a dodgy request (which is about three times weekly, the most recent coming from somewhere in China),
I ask the following:
1) complete name of company
2) street address
3) telephone number
4) website
5) payment practice
Another way of separating the wheat from the chaff is to state my fee and my payment practice (30 days).

In virtually all cases, I never receive a response and am spared the nuisance of on-line registratio
... See more
Whenever I receive a dodgy request (which is about three times weekly, the most recent coming from somewhere in China),
I ask the following:
1) complete name of company
2) street address
3) telephone number
4) website
5) payment practice
Another way of separating the wheat from the chaff is to state my fee and my payment practice (30 days).

In virtually all cases, I never receive a response and am spared the nuisance of on-line registrations and NDAs.
There are new companies which have only signed on to proz.com in September of this year which can be contacted via their website.
However, doing business with a company which has just started out is a bit of a risk.
Translators should also be suspicious of companies who say: "I found your name on proz.com". When I check some of these agencies, I find they have been banned from posting.
Recently I received a "personal request" from an agency in Palestine offering me 140,000 words. I found that they had been banned from posting on proz.com. When I find this out, I always reply "I cannot do business with you because of your bad reputation."
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Walter Landesman
Chris Foster

L Astrup
L Astrup  Identity Verified
United States
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 19, 2018

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has replied to my question. All very useful answers both for now and in the future. I ended up saying no after not recieving necessary answers from him and have not heard back since.
I normally only work with agencies or recommendations, so individual requests are still new to me. I appreciate the assistance as I am finding my way around this.

Have a lovely day.
Lene

Sayuri Norrish
Bastián Rojo

Touchstone_Tran
Touchstone_Tran
United States
English to French
+ ...
This is definitely a scam Sep 20, 2018

I received this same request with an offer to pay 50% upfront and requesting my bank details.

He has been going by the name Aaron Livingstone and also Ivan Patrick and gives an address in New York. The name of the PDF he claims he needs translated is entitled "The Conservation of Social Sciences".

Definitely a scam.

André Sumelius
Andrés Echeverri Chollet

Paola Casati
Paola Casati  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
This scam is still going around Dec 5, 2022

Just wanted to report that "Mr Livingstone" is still active. I received the same request with the "The Conservation of Social Sciences" PDF a couple of days ago. Don't waste your time!

Tom in London
Michael Newton

Kasia Kulesa
Kasia Kulesa  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Definitely a scam! Dec 5, 2022

This is a scam! I received an email from Ivan Livingstone a few days ago:
"Good day, I would like to know if you will be able to translate a document (The Conservation Social Sciences) which is very straight forward, I am to use for a presentation in 7 weeks. English to Polish. It's about 90 pages (33,890 words to be exact). Let me know maybe I can fit in your busy schedule. Thanks"

[Edited at 2022-12-05 16:54 GMT]

Iwona Budzynska MCIL
Tom in London

Gemma Eastabrook-Bonet
Gemma Eastabrook-Bonet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2019)
English to Catalan
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Same here! Jan 6, 2023

I got the same request, same guy. Thank you so VERY MUCH to all of you for sharing your cases here. It has made the whole difference to me, it is reassuring to know we are supporting each other through networking platforms.

Wish you all health, joy and much success in 2023!
Gemma

Petya Pavlova
Petya Pavlova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jan 6, 2023

[Edited at 2023-01-06 14:28 GMT]

Petya Pavlova
Petya Pavlova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Same here! Jan 6, 2023

Thanks so much for sharing! I received the same email this morning and thought it sounded a bit off so I checked. I reported the email as phishing.
Wishing you all a very happy New Year!

Iwona Budzynska MCIL
Iwona Budzynska MCIL
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
I received the same request this morning! Scam! Jan 6, 2023

So glad we can share our experiences on here. I received the same email this morning and it did look dodgy. And quick Google search took me to Proz.
This is the email I received today:

Ivan Livingstone
Fri 06/01/2023 09:57
Good day, I would like to know if you will be able to translate a document (The Conservation Social Sciences) which is very straightforward, I am to use for a presentation in 9 weeks. English to Polish. It's about 90 pages (33,890 words to be e
... See more
So glad we can share our experiences on here. I received the same email this morning and it did look dodgy. And quick Google search took me to Proz.
This is the email I received today:

Ivan Livingstone
Fri 06/01/2023 09:57
Good day, I would like to know if you will be able to translate a document (The Conservation Social Sciences) which is very straightforward, I am to use for a presentation in 9 weeks. English to Polish. It's about 90 pages (33,890 words to be exact). Let me know maybe I can fit in your busy schedule. Thanks
Collapse

Petya Pavlova

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I accept this job? (Large project, 25% payment up front, unable to verify client online)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »