Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
German to English
+ ...
thank you, Mike Oct 23, 2018

Mike Donlin wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

In general my current payment relationship is fine so I have no need for such a service or any extra steps. However, I do run into one particular situation from time to time - clients in Germany. It has happened more than once that their banks are stymied by the fact that countries outside of the EU do not have the codes they are used to filling out to route the payment, and they just don't know how to do it. So I have only encountered this with Germany. We usually find a workaround.

Would ProZ Pay have something to offer in this kind of scenario? From what I am reading here, would I end up having a new problem involving the US taxation system and forms to fill out in that regard?

Hi Maxi,

Your example would be a case where ProZ Pay may be able to help. There should be no additional issues with the US taxation. When the situation arises again, propose this as a solution.

Mike

Thank you for that answer. I'll keep it in mind.

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
Local time: 07:17
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Currency that is not converted Oct 23, 2018

Mohamed Gaafar wrote:

The question is I want to receive payment in Euro or USD but when I tried to participate I found that you previously set the local currency as my bank account. I do want to make a currency conversion. Can you change this please ?!!

Hi Mohamed,

We spoke outside the forum, but wanted to put it here that this is not part of the feature right now. However, it is something that may be coming soon. Note that the cost of transfer into a another country without local currency conversion is typically going to be higher.

Mike

Dmitrie Highduke
Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:17
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Useful feature Nov 29, 2018

Let me put my two cents in.

I believe that this feature will be particularly useful for freelancers from countries where PayPal is not available (like Ukraine where I reside). The feature will allow (if it works properly) to accept payments from PayPal to one's bank account.

I'm in.

Morano El-Kholy
Evgeny Demin

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
PayPal payments where unavailable Dec 4, 2018

Dmitrie Highduke wrote:

I believe that this feature will be particularly useful for freelancers from countries where PayPal is not available (like Ukraine where I reside). The feature will allow (if it works properly) to accept payments from PayPal to one's bank account.

I'm in.

Yes, this has been useful where LSPs are used to paying all freelancers via PayPal and the freelancer is in a country where PayPal is not available.

Mike

Dmitrie Highduke
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Any News? Jan 12, 2019

I wonder if someone has already used this feature and if it works smoothly now. Any experience would be helpful!

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Update - Transferwise payments Jan 14, 2019

Dmitrie Highduke wrote:

I wonder if someone has already used this feature and if it works smoothly now. Any experience would be helpful!

Hi Dmitrie,

Several professionals have received payment via TransferWise. That would be one update of interest to this thread.

Mike

Dmitrie Highduke
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Great Jan 15, 2019

Mike Donlin wrote:

Dmitrie Highduke wrote:

Hi Dmitrie,

Several professionals have received payment via TransferWise. That would be one update of interest to this thread.

Mike

Perfect! What about payment via PayPal?

Dmitrie Highduke
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Well Jan 23, 2019

The payment system seems to be dead...

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
PayPal? Jan 23, 2019

Hi Dmitrie,

I missed your earlier question about PayPal. Yes, funds may be received via PayPal.

Mike

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:17
English to Italian
Update? May 23, 2019

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Mike Donlin wrote:

Hi Mirko,

The form confirms you are not a US taxpayer. The tax information is requested in order to streamline this overall process.

I will take a closer look to see where you are encountering concerns. Many have filled it out, but we have gotten some feedback like yours where it appears more confusing than maybe it needs to be based on the circumstances you have described.

Hi Mike, any update about this?

Hi Mike, any update about this?

In the meanwhile, a couple quotes about the tax-treaty point in particular:

"A reduced rate of withholding applies to a foreign person that provides a Form W-8BEN claiming a reduced rate of withholding under an income tax treaty only if the foreign person provides a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)" - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/claiming-tax-treaty-benefits

"Any tax treaty claim made on forms 8233 or W-8BEN without a permanent U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) cannot be accepted." - https://humanresources.umn.edu/pay-and-taxes/claiming-tax-treaty-benefits-nonresident-aliens

"Payments for services provided outside the U. S. by Foreign Entities and individuals are considered foreign source, and are not subject to U.S. reporting or withholding.
W-8BEN: Use restricted to foreign individuals only. It is used to claim foreign status and also to claim treaty benefits for royalty/passive income or scholarships/fellowships only.

Individuals not eligible for the other W8 forms should use the W-8BEN.
A U.S. Tax identification number is not required if no treaty benefits are requested.
A U.S. tax identification number is required for a treaty benefit exemption from tax withholding." - https://ba.uoregon.edu/content/payments-to-foreign-entities

"The US side of the tax reporting of an overseas contractor is relatively straightforward if:

- The worker is not a US citizen or resident alien,
- All of the work will occur in the foreign country,
- And the worker will not spend any time in the US.

In this scenario, the organization must have the worker document citizenship and residence by completing Form W-8BEN, which should be kept on file, similar to a W-9. The foreign worker does not need a SSN, EIN, or ITIN in order to complete the form. A foreign citizen, who earns US source income, may be subject to nonresident alien (NRA) withholding, which varies according the type of income and any applicable treaty rates. But payment for personal services is sourced according to where the work is performed. If all of the work is done overseas, then the income is foreign sourced, which is not taxable by the US, and NRA withholding is not required. There is no further tax reporting required." - https://www.tatetryon.com/what-to-consider-before-going-global-using-independent-contractors/

Hi Mike, any update about this, 7 months later?

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Tax documents for non-US May 24, 2019

Hi Mike, any update about this, 7 months later?

Hi Mirko,

Thank you for checking in.

We are working to better convey the tax document information as optional.

As an update, payments have been made without the tax documents filled out. Those that do not fill out the tax information are also eligible for the 20th prizes that have been announced.

For those seeing this forum for the first time Mirko offers a thorough explanation on tax treaty in earlier posts.

Mike

Helene Olsen Richards
Helene Olsen Richards  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:17
Member (2006)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Proz Pay Jun 22, 2019

That has always been the issue: all improvements are LSP oriented, not focused on the translator. We have to do more work and get paid less. Also, there is ZERO security in whether you get paid or not. Proz should implement an escrow account for projects say 4000 words or more, where the client has to prepay so that the translator can SEE that the client has the funds. I have been scammed many times and not gotten paid because they claim you have used MT or a client goes bankrupt and your client... See more
That has always been the issue: all improvements are LSP oriented, not focused on the translator. We have to do more work and get paid less. Also, there is ZERO security in whether you get paid or not. Proz should implement an escrow account for projects say 4000 words or more, where the client has to prepay so that the translator can SEE that the client has the funds. I have been scammed many times and not gotten paid because they claim you have used MT or a client goes bankrupt and your client cant pay. We need to get a union. We need security and someone that sets some standards in the industry. That is the issue. There are no standards- its a free for all and clients overseas know that a translator is not going to hop on a plane and knock on their door to get paid. I just recently got scammed out of 10.000! That is not pocket change. Proz is supposed to be run by translator and work for the translators .....but it seems it is all about he membership fees. Things started going downhill when MT was introduced as well as crowd-sourcing. Proz has the ability to stop this. Do not allow these clients to post ads. They contribute to driving the rates down and destroying the industry. Also, do not let clients that post jobs for 0.02 etc on the site! It is an insult. There needs to be a standard in terms of rates.
No one can make a living off of 0.02 per word, and the worst part is they are capable of paying more but claim that because they are in India or Asia etc, they are so poor and cannot pay more. It does not matter where you are, you can still charge a client a "normal" rate. They probably pay some poor translator who ACTUALLY accepts this 0.02 and pocket a large sum themselves. I have seen in happen several times. Proz needs to do more for their translators. They are in fact what keeps Proz in business! There should be more benefits to translators on here. Proz is the largest budding platform for translators and should take advantage of that. You have the leverage to make a difference. Use it. Please.
It is such a shame. Something needs to be done before the whole profession is affected and Proz will eventually be affected as well.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Jorge Payan
Unni Tengvall-Unadike

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Helene Jun 23, 2019

First, I don't consider middlemen and profiteers (agencies/hubs) as Language Service Providers; they just turned around the term LSP.

Second, while the ProZ could change its legal and financial status, rendering trade union/escrow/warrantor and umpire/guarantee services, it could be the industry regulator/trend-maker or rather a meta-agency/hyper-outstaffer--with literally zillions of potential international issues and litigations (read: rivals/costs).

Third, there will
... See more
First, I don't consider middlemen and profiteers (agencies/hubs) as Language Service Providers; they just turned around the term LSP.

Second, while the ProZ could change its legal and financial status, rendering trade union/escrow/warrantor and umpire/guarantee services, it could be the industry regulator/trend-maker or rather a meta-agency/hyper-outstaffer--with literally zillions of potential international issues and litigations (read: rivals/costs).

Third, there will always be discrimination priorities: either decent rates and rights for the real LSP (freelancers/translators), or happy sponging agencies, not both. No rotation.

Of course, it's plausible and feasible, there're already third-party services available, yet WHY should ProZ do it? Most translators are no business parties. For instance, I also see no good reason to pay a yesterday's bottom-feeder, who was happy with $0.0125/word and "discounts", say, $0.07+/word, offering better terms. WHY? If translators don't like it cheap, let them learn it very expensively.

It has little to do with ProZ or other platforms, because it's about self/respect. common sense, and education. I'm really looking for the time when there're no "pure translators" and "non-businesspersons".
Collapse

Abd Alrahman Almidani
Abd Alrahman Almidani
Local time: 14:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Payoneer May 28, 2020

Hello,

Paypal is not available in some countries. Is it not possible to send the money to Payoneer?

Stanislava Adamcová Balajová MBA
Stanislava Adamcová Balajová MBA
Slovakia
Local time: 12:17
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
thanks for reply in advance Feb 16, 2021

Hi colleague, I was suggested to use this feature by an Indian client, do u think I ma accept it with no limits. Did not you encounter any problems, issues in receiving money?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ Pay™: A new way for freelancers to get paid

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »