Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:36
French to German
+ ...
Oct 25, 2018

Hi!
This morning I got an e-mail inviting me to join an agencies translator team in the Swedish to German pair. They wrote

"We pay through PayPal $0.15 USD/word for the translation, but you can apply with higher rates.
We only charge a straightforward commission of 20% for each job done with us. There are no other fees."

Did I get that right? They want me to pay them a commission??? I've never heard about that, why wouldn't they just pay lower rates? (Or d
... See more
Hi!
This morning I got an e-mail inviting me to join an agencies translator team in the Swedish to German pair. They wrote

"We pay through PayPal $0.15 USD/word for the translation, but you can apply with higher rates.
We only charge a straightforward commission of 20% for each job done with us. There are no other fees."

Did I get that right? They want me to pay them a commission??? I've never heard about that, why wouldn't they just pay lower rates? (Or does straightforward in this context mean before I get paid myself?) And why should there be any "fees" for translators?

What do you think about it?
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:36
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No... Oct 25, 2018

not normal... but you could add an extra 20% to your rate...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm speechless! Oct 25, 2018

Except posting rules won't allow that

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
What's the difference? Oct 25, 2018

Either:

They mean that you are put in direct contact with the end client, for which the agency charges you 20% of what you then earn.

Or

It's no different that the many agencies posting jobs on Proz that offer laughable rates to translators but then charge their end clients 2, 3 or 4 times the amount they pay to the translator(s) actually doing the work.

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Valérie Ourset
Robert Forstag
Angie Garbarino

Elzbieta Lubelska
Elzbieta Lubelska
Poland
French to Polish
+ ...
Maybe normal + remarkable transparency? Oct 25, 2018

Hi,
Maybe you didn't get their message right and they only wanted to tell you that you're free to propose higher rates than $0.15 USD? You would then have to remember they apply a 20% commission (which is pretty normal as far as I know). So if you asked, let's say, $0.30 USD, the end client would be asked the price of $0.36 USD and that may be just too high to stay competitive (so you both would loose the client).

Anyway, an agency always charges a commission, except that they
... See more
Hi,
Maybe you didn't get their message right and they only wanted to tell you that you're free to propose higher rates than $0.15 USD? You would then have to remember they apply a 20% commission (which is pretty normal as far as I know). So if you asked, let's say, $0.30 USD, the end client would be asked the price of $0.36 USD and that may be just too high to stay competitive (so you both would loose the client).

Anyway, an agency always charges a commission, except that they are rarely transparent about the level.

By the way, Paypal's prices are so high that I really appreciate agencies which increase the translator's remuneration by the price charged by Paypal when this kind of payment is preferred.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
German to English
+ ...
They've got it backward Oct 26, 2018

They should be paying you a commission or some kind of regular fee for the right to have your name on their database, when they advertise that they have 1,000 expert translators (in their database).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sure, why not Oct 26, 2018

Christina Baier wrote:
Did I get that right? They want me to pay them a commission???

It is normal in many fields for agents to work on a commission basis. Translation "agencies" are not really agents in this sense. I have no objection to such a working relationship in principle, but I know too little about the potential pitfalls to be confident about it.

For example, what proof will the agent require of how much money I received from the client (to base his commission on)? Or: what happens when the client does not pay or pays less than the agreed amount -- does the agent still get his commission, or a portion of it? Exactly when must the commission be paid (immediately after acceptance, at invoice time, when the client pays the translator, X number of days later, etc.). And of course we have to think about the tax implications (what kind of a business expense is paying commission, and to what extend is it deductible, etc.).

By the way, I don't see how anyone can make a living as an agent for translators in this sense, unless they're dealing with very large jobs.

I think what they mean is that the price they quote to the client is the same as the price you quote to them. Translation agencies usually add their own percentages when quoting, and translators have no idea how much the agency is adding. It's not unusual for agencies to add 50-100%, though, so a mere 20% markup will allow you to quote quite competitively. You may even be able to quote 30-40% above your usual rate.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I don't think this even warrants a smiley -- it goes without saying that you must quote at least 20% above your usual rate (and I'm sure the agent expects it).

[Edited at 2018-10-26 07:40 GMT]

Morano El-Kholy

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bottom line Oct 26, 2018

I think the bottom line is that none of us really knows what they are trying to say, so you need to ask them for clarification!

Sheila Wilson
Katalin Horváth McClure
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
José Henrique Lamensdorf

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Sounds as if they just act as a broker Oct 26, 2018

From the sound of it, it seems to me that this agency is more acting like a broker than a true translation agency. In a "normal" translator agency relation, the agency is the client of the translator, and the end client is the client of the agency. The agency is responsible for delivering to the end client.

But if they use the term "commission", it sounds more like they just want to broker the contact between translator and end client, leaving everything else to these parties.

nordiste

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nothing to sneeze at Oct 26, 2018

Christina Baier wrote:

Do they need Italian too? I could live with $0.12 per word from German - IF they are reliable.

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
x + 20% – 20% ≠ x Oct 26, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Rather 25%. If you add 20% to your rate then subtract a 20% commission from the augmented rate, you end up with 96% of the original amount.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Michele Fauble

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Consequences of cutting out the middle man Oct 26, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:
Christina Baier wrote:

Do they need Italian too? I could live with $0.12 per word from German - if they are reliable.

I think you're making an important point, and I don't think raising one's rate by 25% is enough to cover it.

One of the duties of an agency (and why we allow them to pay us lower rates than direct clients) is to verify that the end-client can and will pay. This agent isn't going to do such verification. All the risk of non-payment will be with the translator. The agent will simply point the translator to the client and say "this client's got a translation job for you", but then you will still have to to due diligence on the client, while the client is waiting for his translation.

Again, I don't think this is necessarily a bad arrangement, but I can see how one could easily sell oneself short without realising it.

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Question Oct 26, 2018

Christina Baier wrote:

What do you think about it?

Is the commission paid to a different account?

If so, it could be a case of "soft" laundering: higher expenses to be deducted from a taxable account, part of the income diverted to a low- or no-taxation jurisdiction. Although there are quicker ways to do this (just open a company and bank account in a country where corporate income is not taxable and charge your own original company from there), this kind of scenario is not inconceivable.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:36
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
This is how I understood it Oct 26, 2018

Elzbieta Lubelska wrote:

Hi,

I think what they meant was if you charge $0.30 USD per word to the end client, $0.06 will be taken out of it as their commission, and you will end up earning $0.24 per word.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
True... Oct 27, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Rather 25%. If you add 20% to your rate then subtract a 20% commission from the augmented rate, you end up with 96% of the original amount.

Maths has never been my forte...

[Edited at 2018-10-27 11:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency wanting a commission

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »