https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/333592-discrimination_based_on_national_origin_and_native_language_in_proz_ads-page8.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]
Discrimination based on national origin and native language in ProZ ads
Thread poster: lumierre
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
interpreting Apr 14, 2019

Eliza, and how about lawyers asking, say, a child "Do you feel more like a boy or a girl?"--Of course, with the legal effect and consequences.

I happen know several foreigners who moved to our country as adults some 25-30 years ago. They learned our traditions, habits, and the language so well, that many natives think they also were born here. Indeed, they could do the job as a native, yet they neither consider themselves to be almost* natives, nor pretend to be ones,
... See more
Eliza, and how about lawyers asking, say, a child "Do you feel more like a boy or a girl?"--Of course, with the legal effect and consequences.

I happen know several foreigners who moved to our country as adults some 25-30 years ago. They learned our traditions, habits, and the language so well, that many natives think they also were born here. Indeed, they could do the job as a native, yet they neither consider themselves to be almost* natives, nor pretend to be ones, because they just don't feel themselves as natives.

Newbies often pose themselves as pros, whereas real pros count their level as 'medium' in the framework.

However, it still goes beyond the topic of alleged discrimination, because according to the contract law, I legally can state, say, only a slim long-legged blue-eyed white natural French blonde from Germany, about 71" and under 145 pounds, aged 18-25, with type O Rh D negative blood, and so on--makes an eligible candidate. That's it.

Why, one could even demand specific requirements and certain [even ridiculous!] features like being nulliparous, speaking the Klingon language, or having elven ears)
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:30
Member (2016)
English to German
somewhat OT Apr 14, 2019

My two cents on nativeness in language:

1) I once heard a native speaker of US English utter the phrase "I gots to get it did."

2) This is the internet. I'm native Klingon.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It's called being funny. A sense of humour Apr 14, 2019

Jan Truper wrote:

1) I once heard a native speaker of US English utter the phrase "I gots to get it did."

That's what I does thinks

Elizabeth Tamblin
Roni_S

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:30
Member (2016)
English to German
... Apr 15, 2019

writeaway wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

It was actually a hardcore case of vernacular English.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Darn Apr 15, 2019

Jan Truper wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

It was actually a hardcore case of vernacular English.

You're darn tootin'!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discrimination based on national origin and native language in ProZ ads

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »