https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/333607-business_pages_at_prozcom_the_new_way_to_display.html

Business pages at ProZ.com : the new way to display
Thread poster: Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
Local time: 07:29
SITE STAFF
Mar 26, 2019

Businesses have their own pages at ProZ.com. In the past, company profiles were used to represent translation companies and agencies.

Now, business pages are used to show business information such as business name, logo, years in business, services, industries, languages supported and more. It also powers the translation company and agency directory.

Business pages also provide links to confirmed employees,
... See more
Businesses have their own pages at ProZ.com. In the past, company profiles were used to represent translation companies and agencies.

Now, business pages are used to show business information such as business name, logo, years in business, services, industries, languages supported and more. It also powers the translation company and agency directory.

Business pages also provide links to confirmed employees, connect with Blue Board to show recent entries and display recent job posts.

All employees should create their own profile to make individual connections with freelancers. People have profiles, while a business will have a page.

Employees may be confirmed by the business and share in business membership benefits.

Let us know if we can answer any questions on business pages.

What else should be added? Is your page updated? Do freelancers want to see more?
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
What happens to profiles? Mar 26, 2019

What happens to old and new company profiles on ProZ?

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Old company profiles Mar 27, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

What happens to old and new company profiles on ProZ?

Hi Lincoln,

Thank you for the response.

The old company profiles remain at ProZ.com. The company data in these profiles was migrated to the business pages. All Blue Board links and other information remains as well.

Over time, we hope to see these transitioned to individuals and more profiles created from business employees (vendor managers, project managers, recruiters, owners, etc) so that freelancers know who they are working with.

If you were to register today for the first time, the option is available to add your new business or choose your business from those already listed at ProZ.com.

Mike

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:29
German to English
+ ...
OT - What is a business? Mar 27, 2019

This thread stopped me short. I thought I had a business, but here it seems to mean a company. Being a translator and linguist, of course I went straight to the dictionary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business

"Business is the activity of making one's living or making money by producing or
... See more
This thread stopped me short. I thought I had a business, but here it seems to mean a company. Being a translator and linguist, of course I went straight to the dictionary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business

"Business is the activity of making one's living or making money by producing or buying and selling products (such as goods and services). Simply put, it is "any activity or enterprise entered into for profit. It does not mean it is a company, a corporation, partnership, or have any such formal organization, but it can range from a street peddler to General Motors."

The article goes on to say:

"The term is also often used colloquially (but not by lawyers or by public officials) to refer to a company."

I don't know why I felt compelled to look this up. Maybe because often in these fora I get the feeling as though we translators were employees, and agency clients were employers - when in fact those of us who are not employed by companies run our business of translation. It feels important. Maybe it isn't.

Apologies for the OT. Mods feel free to remove if too much so.
Collapse

Juno Bos
Katalin Szilárd
Sheila Wilson
Gerard de Noord
Philippe Etienne
Mirko Mainardi
Steffen Walter

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:29
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I couldn't agree more, Maxi Mar 27, 2019

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
This thread stopped me short. I thought I had a business, but here it seems to mean a company.

It left me speechless, Maxi. I saw it last night around midnight and began to draft a "hot" reply before realising that the wording was not conducive to my continued membership of ProZ.com .

I've spent so much time on the Getting Established forum over the last 10 years, urging new freelancers to adopt the mindset of a businessperson. I always remind them they're running a business, albeit a very small one. Have I been totally misleading them and wasting my time?

often in these fora I get the feeling as though we translators were employees, and agency clients were employers - when in fact those of us who are not employed by companies run our business of translation. It feels important. Maybe it isn't.

I for one see it as extremely important. I'd go as far as to say that I see it as fundamental.

Apologies for the OT. Mods feel free to remove if too much so.

How is it off topic? Maybe unwelcome, but that isn't the same thing at all.

I've never been totally happy with the use of the word "company" to define the agencies/outsourcers who are registered on the site. I don't know what percentage of freelancers operate their business as a limited company, but it certainly isn't unknown. Some even have an employee or two. But most of us do trade under our own names without the benefit of limited liability, so it wasn't too awful a distinction.

But naming the other party to our contracts a "business" poses an obvious question: what are we classed as here on ProZ.com? Are we the "private individual", the "pieceworker", the "employee" ...? In almost all cases, our work is performed as a B2B transaction -- business to business. One party is normally either an end user business or an intermediary -- a translation agency business or, increasingly, a brokerage business. The other party to this B2B transaction is a "freelance business" (a translator trading as a self-employed freelancer or as a company).

TBH, I'm gobsmacked at the thoughtlessness of this site "improvement"! Sorry to use a coarse term that most of you will have to look up, including some of my fellow English native speakers, but it's the word that best describes my feelings at the moment.

Steffen Walter
Vera Schoen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thomas T. Frost
Daniela Zambrini
Jessica Noyes
Ivana Kahle

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I run a business! Mar 27, 2019

Totally agree with Sheila and Maxi, and in fact my first reaction to the initial post was that the new business display would apply to me and my sole trader translation and editing business, and that my profile would need to be revamped for "the new way to display".

Sometimes I think ProZ staff don't have enough to do - please stop meddling quite so much - the site does not need to be forever in flux.

Mirko Mainardi
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jessica Noyes
Sheila Wilson
Tanami
Michele Fauble

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Link to blue board Mar 28, 2019

You need to provide a direct link to a company's Blue Board entry on their business page. I'm not sure why I have to tell you this; it's like having to tell someone to plug their TV into the power outlet.

Mirko Mainardi
Thomas T. Frost
Sheila Wilson

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Blue Board link on business page Mar 28, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

You need to provide a direct link to a company's Blue Board entry on their business page. I'm not sure why I have to tell you this; it's like having to tell someone to plug their TV into the power outlet.

Hi Lincoln,

Where did you expect to click the direct link?

The more detailed Blue Board area on this page (toward the bottom) links to the company's Blue Board when you click on the company name.

If you click on the rating on the right column, it goes to this record on bottom of this business page.

Did you expect it to link somewhere else? This is valuable feedback, so thank you for sharing.

Mike

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
"Disconnected" companies? Mar 28, 2019

(I have to mention specific companies, so edit this out as you see fit)

For example, I received an email from a company and this is the link listed at the top:
https://www.proz.com/business/481-global-lingo

The
... See more
(I have to mention specific companies, so edit this out as you see fit)

For example, I received an email from a company and this is the link listed at the top:
https://www.proz.com/business/481-global-lingo

The page does not link to their Blue Board entry, https://www.proz.com/blueboard/12688, or anything regarding their Blue Board rating, even though it is accessible when I go to their profile page, accessible at the bottom of the email I received.

A ProZ business member did this through the ProZ mail system, so clearly the system recognizes their profile and their business page and know that they are linked, but somehow doesn't manage to connect it to their Blue Board entry.

[Edited at 2019-03-28 16:50 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Upper-right link to the Blue Board doesn't go to the real Blue Board Mar 28, 2019

Mike Donlin wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Hi Lincoln,

Where did you expect to click the direct link?

The more detailed Blue Board area on this page (toward the bottom) links to the company's Blue Board when you click on the company name.

If you click on the rating on the right column, it goes to this record on bottom of this business page.

Did you expect it to link somewhere else? This is valuable feedback, so thank you for sharing.

Mike

As Lincoln Hui, I expected the Blue Board link upper right to take me to the real Blue Board, not the boiled-down version further down on the page (for which I fail to see any purpose; I find it undesirable, confusing and incoherent to display different versions of the same thing on different pages). It also took me a while to find the real Blue Board link. It isn't obvious.

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Blue Board connections to business page Mar 28, 2019

Hi Lincoln,

Thank you for the examples. They were helpful. If a moderator believes your linked examples should be removed, I presume that will happen.

It is true that not all Blue Board have been linked to all businesses. This linking or connecting can be done by each business either from the Blue Board or the business page. It is also being done by ProZ.com site staff.

You should find that many have been linked, but not all. I fixed your provided example
... See more
Hi Lincoln,

Thank you for the examples. They were helpful. If a moderator believes your linked examples should be removed, I presume that will happen.

It is true that not all Blue Board have been linked to all businesses. This linking or connecting can be done by each business either from the Blue Board or the business page. It is also being done by ProZ.com site staff.

You should find that many have been linked, but not all. I fixed your provided example. When done by ProZ.com site staff, we are doing our best to review these previous connections to make sure they are accurate. You may find that some business pages actually bring in data from multiple Blue Boards.

Mike
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Business pages at ProZ.com : the new way to display

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »