Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:53
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 17, 2019

Hi there,

I'm not sure if it is me who is wrong in this or if my feeling is right: I applied for a translation project several weeks ago and got an email last week where the agency told me they had hundreds of applications and as my education and experience is what they wanted, they decided to continue with me. They told me the client would start with the project in may, then I had to translate a sample test so the client can decide which agency they want to go with. if they were ch
... See more
Hi there,

I'm not sure if it is me who is wrong in this or if my feeling is right: I applied for a translation project several weeks ago and got an email last week where the agency told me they had hundreds of applications and as my education and experience is what they wanted, they decided to continue with me. They told me the client would start with the project in may, then I had to translate a sample test so the client can decide which agency they want to go with. if they were chose, collaboration was for 5 years. They also told me the client (EU) would pay 60 days after delivery of the work and that they would pay me 5 days after that.

I answered that I'd still be interested, even with those payment terms, because of the project itself. I asked about the budget etc. I didn't receive any answer to my email. Now I see that yetserday that agency posted two other job postings about the same project. I wrote them and asked why they again were looking for a German translator if they already told me they wanted to continue with me (tbh, I didn't think I was the only one they wrote this and no, I also didn't think they had hundreds of applications, but that maybe others had declined because of the payment terms, but I wanted to try anyway). I got an answer then that they had to read and answer thousands of emails concerning this project (wow!) and that they couldn't answer sooner because of that. I told them if they really chose me to do the test for them, I should get my emails answered within a day or so, because I was no longer part of the recruiting proces, right? The PM then said I was chosen as a potential translator (aha!) and that she didn't have time to do all the things she is supposed to do because it is so much etc.

I said I don't like being taken for a fool, she then answered they wouldn't continue with my application and also don't like being taken for a fool and waste their time blablabla...

This is not so much about being angry about not being chosen for this job (even if the project surely would have been interesting), but the way they handled the whole issue.

Is that normal? I never experienced sth like that except when the client was no good anyway. I don't want to do them wrong, but this looks a bit fishy to me. Also: is € 0,05/word normal for an EU project? I did one before and it was paid much, much better.
Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:53
German to English
+ ...
Don't take it so personally Apr 17, 2019

There's no need to jump to accusations of them taking you for a fool etc. It sounds to me like there was simply a misunderstanding, not an active attempt to deceive you.

If they posted in on ProZ, then yes, I do actually believe they may have hundreds and even thousands of responses to wade through. As a project manager I once posted a job for a much less common language combination and we had hundreds and hundreds of responses. And most of the responses were not serious contenders
... See more
There's no need to jump to accusations of them taking you for a fool etc. It sounds to me like there was simply a misunderstanding, not an active attempt to deceive you.

If they posted in on ProZ, then yes, I do actually believe they may have hundreds and even thousands of responses to wade through. As a project manager I once posted a job for a much less common language combination and we had hundreds and hundreds of responses. And most of the responses were not serious contenders. It was overwhelming and very frustrating. For English/German I can imagine that they may well have an extremely high number of responses.

And no, EUR 0.05/word is a ridiculous price, I don't care who the client is.

Don't waste your time with agencies like this. And frankly, I wouldn't bother replying to job postings on here. The really decent clients on here are not posting jobs, they're seeking you out themselves via the directory.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michele Fauble
Yolanda Broad
MoSpa
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Pete in Finland

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sit back, relax and wait! Apr 17, 2019

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Hi there,

I'm not sure if it is me who is wrong in this or if my feeling is right: I applied for a translation project several weeks ago and got an email last week where the agency told me they had hundreds of applications and as my education and experience is what they wanted, they decided to continue with me. They told me the client would start with the project in may, then I had to translate a sample test so the client can decide which agency they want to go with. if they were chose, collaboration was for 5 years. They also told me the client (EU) would pay 60 days after delivery of the work and that they would pay me 5 days after that.

I answered that I'd still be interested, even with those payment terms, because of the project itself. I asked about the budget etc. I didn't receive any answer to my email. Now I see that yetserday that agency posted two other job postings about the same project. I wrote them and asked why they again were looking for a German translator if they already told me they wanted to continue with me (tbh, I didn't think I was the only one they wrote this and no, I also didn't think they had hundreds of applications, but that maybe others had declined because of the payment terms, but I wanted to try anyway). I got an answer then that they had to read and answer thousands of emails concerning this project (wow!) and that they couldn't answer sooner because of that. I told them if they really chose me to do the test for them, I should get my emails answered within a day or so, because I was no longer part of the recruiting proces, right? The PM then said I was chosen as a potential translator (aha!) and that she didn't have time to do all the things she is supposed to do because it is so much etc.

I said I don't like being taken for a fool, she then answered they wouldn't continue with my application and also don't like being taken for a fool and waste their time blablabla...

This is not so much about being angry about not being chosen for this job (even if the project surely would have been interesting), but the way they handled the whole issue.

Is that normal? I never experienced sth like that except when the client was no good anyway. I don't want to do them wrong, but this looks a bit fishy to me. Also: is € 0,05/word normal for an EU project? I did one before and it was paid much, much better.

Hi Inez,

Take a look at the Hungarian job board. -> And many translators don't get direct emails from clients, nor directory visits. These 2 facts are definitely connected with each other.

But do not panic! Sit back and wait till those contact you who really want to use your service.
Just do not panic!

Crowd

Bests,
Katalin

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Do your part but don't be pushy Apr 17, 2019

First of all, 5 cents is a low rate in our pair, EU or not.

That said, I think that it makes no sense to be pushy with agencies (or anyone, for that matter). When you deal with a new agency, do your part (i. e. submit your data and maybe a test translation and such), and then simply wait. Maybe they are disorganised, maybe this is indeed a huge project, maybe they told you the truth about being interested in you, maybe not - you won't gain a thing by following up with more emails or
... See more
First of all, 5 cents is a low rate in our pair, EU or not.

That said, I think that it makes no sense to be pushy with agencies (or anyone, for that matter). When you deal with a new agency, do your part (i. e. submit your data and maybe a test translation and such), and then simply wait. Maybe they are disorganised, maybe this is indeed a huge project, maybe they told you the truth about being interested in you, maybe not - you won't gain a thing by following up with more emails or calls or whatever, the only thing you can achieve is annoy the potential client. (Imagine yourself sitting at the other end - would you enjoy being pestered by potential vendors of anything, be it translation or any other good or service, even if you are in the process of choosing?)
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Sheila Wilson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Axel Dittmer
ahartje
Angela Malik
Vera Schoen

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Apr 17, 2019

no, I certainly don't panick, that's why I wrote I wasn't angry, only curious if that was normal proceeding as I'm not used to sth like that.

I've won a few really great and loyal clients from job postings here, so I have made different experiences than you, Angela
Lately I seldom apply for jobs on the board because I have several regular customers
... See more
no, I certainly don't panick, that's why I wrote I wasn't angry, only curious if that was normal proceeding as I'm not used to sth like that.

I've won a few really great and loyal clients from job postings here, so I have made different experiences than you, Angela
Lately I seldom apply for jobs on the board because I have several regular customers who give me more than enough work, but I'm always interested in interesting projects, that's why I applied.

You are all right in € 0,05/word being ridiculous. I was really astonished when they told me that. That was before I told them I'd be interested regardsless of the payment terms.

Thanks for your thoughts on that!

Have a lovley day!
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
Never follow up on "potential clients" Apr 17, 2019

Be as thoroughly helpful as you would like to when a potential client contacts you, but never initiate another communication if you don't hear back, and never be emotionally invested in anything other than an active project. Best to send an email and forget they ever existed until you actually hear back.

In particular, NEVER ask why an agency is recruiting other people:
Now I see that yetserday that agency posted two other job postings about the same project. I wrote them and asked why they again were looking for a German translator if they already told me they wanted to continue with me

Literally nothing good can come of it; they did it for a reason, ranging from "they don't want you" to "they don't have a clue who's in their database". In all possible cases contacting them about it won't change anything. You'll either end up with an argument or a worthless deflective answer, and in this case you got both.

Matthias Brombach
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees
Vera Schoen
Eliza Hall
Diana Coada (X)

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 17, 2019

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Be as thoroughly helpful as you would like to when a potential client contacts you, but never initiate another communication if you don't hear back, and never be emotionally invested in anything other than an active project. Best to send an email and forget they ever existed until you actually hear back.

In particular, NEVER ask why an agency is recruiting other people:
Now I see that yetserday that agency posted two other job postings about the same project. I wrote them and asked why they again were looking for a German translator if they already told me they wanted to continue with me

Literally nothing good can come of it; they did it for a reason, ranging from "they don't want you" to "they don't have a clue who's in their database". In all possible cases contacting them about it won't change anything. You'll either end up with an argument or a worthless deflective answer, and in this case you got both.

I really apprecieta everybody's input, but this is not a life-or-death situation. It was just a job, and if I feel like it, I write clients emails again. Let's take things not so seriously. life is hard enough, right?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange recruting procedure, imo

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »