Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:05
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 27, 2019

Hello,

maybe I am mistaken or too cautious, but is it really “common practice” to ask for a clean copy of one’s translation certificate?

A couple of weeks ago I contacted an agency via ProZ in regards to the translation of books. The PM was friendly and cooperative, asking only the usual questions. Upon her request I sent her my business brochure (as always, without sensitive information and in a secured PDF) to give her a first impression, as well as the link to
... See more
Hello,

maybe I am mistaken or too cautious, but is it really “common practice” to ask for a clean copy of one’s translation certificate?

A couple of weeks ago I contacted an agency via ProZ in regards to the translation of books. The PM was friendly and cooperative, asking only the usual questions. Upon her request I sent her my business brochure (as always, without sensitive information and in a secured PDF) to give her a first impression, as well as the link to my profile here.

All seems to have been agreed upon when she suddenly asked for a clean (no blackening) copy of my certification as a translator. Aside from the fact that I don’t store sensitive information on my PC, her request (the first time anybody has ever requested this from me) seemed unusual, so I told her that my printer/scanner needs to be replaced, so that sending her a copy is not possible, and asked her to please explain why she would need a copy of it for the translation of books. Although I had pointed out that claiming a membership in any official organization is illegal, in my case the BDUE, she insisted by replying, “send in file”.

After that three-word reply she didn’t even bother to answer my follow-up email. Perhaps she was away over the Easter holidays? If so, then why did she keep posting the same job here on ProZ.com? Naturally, I am wondering if this might have been just an attempt to “collect” certificates and diplomas.

[Edited at 2019-04-27 07:01 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Looks fishy to me Apr 27, 2019

Probably you are right, just forget about it.

Thayenga

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does Apr 27, 2019

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Probably you are right, just forget about it.

I agree with your reply, Heinrich.

I'm just wondering why they keep posting the same job several times. Based on my experience with them, it's not even worth reading the job offer.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Very interesting Apr 27, 2019

The book was going to be available for translation in May/June, I suspect? If this is who I think.it is, a lot of people have been wondering what the aim is of all these job postings. Maybe you've found the answer to that question.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
weird Apr 27, 2019

They need your name and contacts to personalize the deal.
They need your credentials to prove the proficiency or membership.
They need a sample or test translation to make sure you're competent for the project.
They need you clean copy of the translation certificate to ______________?
No unreasonable requirements!

In Ukraine and some other countries (1) having one's picture holding the passport and (2) a mobile phone number assigned to a bank card (ea
... See more
They need your name and contacts to personalize the deal.
They need your credentials to prove the proficiency or membership.
They need a sample or test translation to make sure you're competent for the project.
They need you clean copy of the translation certificate to ______________?
No unreasonable requirements!

In Ukraine and some other countries (1) having one's picture holding the passport and (2) a mobile phone number assigned to a bank card (easily forged/replaced) is enough for fraud, say, taking credits behalf on your name. No wonder con artists pretend to be "introduction service", "translators", "agencies", "princes" and whatever may seem trustworthy just to get your personal info--and money.

Sure, I doubt that company wanted your money (why not though?), yet if they cannot justify such a requirement... a no-win situation.
I'd rather not either)
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is possible that Apr 27, 2019

some agencies are using the job posting system to advertise their business. They are not really recruiting.

There can be very few of them but they do exist.

[Edited at 2019-04-27 12:33 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
The agency in question looks to be a total fraud Apr 27, 2019

At least six job postings over the past six months advertising very well-paid work translating books involving diverse subject matter in at least a dozen different language combinations.

Maybe next they will be offering free room and board in a luxurious dacha to translators who sign on for these long-term and lucrative projects.

Kind of surprising that such dubious postings continue to appear on the site.

[Edited at 2019-04-27 13:49 GMT]

Jeannette Issa
Kevin Fulton
Tina Vonhof (X)

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for credentials Apr 28, 2019

Dear colleagues,

thank you for your replies.

Apparently their only intention is document or even identity theft. Perhaps ProZ admin could check out this company. If I remember correctly, they're not paying members. They do have a website, but then again, anybody can create one.

They've posted these job offers at least six times over the past couple of weeks, so I guess they haven't been able to get the required amount of certificates yet....
See more
Dear colleagues,

thank you for your replies.

Apparently their only intention is document or even identity theft. Perhaps ProZ admin could check out this company. If I remember correctly, they're not paying members. They do have a website, but then again, anybody can create one.

They've posted these job offers at least six times over the past couple of weeks, so I guess they haven't been able to get the required amount of certificates yet. Seriously, they should be banded from posting any jobs here.

@ Robert
I like the idea of a vacation in a dacha.

@ jyuan_us
Maybe, but what exactly would be their business? It doesn't seem to be translations.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An unusual demand?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »