Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:33
Romanian to English
+ ...
No offence,Stephane Jul 17

STEPHANE ATANGANA wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:

US-based agencies are starting to offer Third-World rates. When I mention "twelve cents a word for medical Japanese", people recoil like a vampire that has been confronted with a crucifix.
What do you really mean by third-world rate? The rates are merely being low? Every human effort deserves to be valued. No rate for the so-called developed world. Rates are rates, no one accepts Peanuts

I assume that Michael meant that the rates should reflect the cost of living in a certain country. What seems to be an acceptable rate, let's say, in Eastern Europe, it is not sustainable in the US. Therefore, I don't think that he meant to offend anybody. As you mentioned it, every human effort deserves to be valuate appropriately.

missdutch

Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:33
Chinese
Price plays a role Jul 19

As pointed out by several colleagues, among other factors, price plays a big role here. I recently stopped working for an agency which has been responsible for more than 80% of my workload over the last 5 years or more. They are a very professional and trustworthy company, but even they cannot buck the downward trend of translation rates. They didn't reduce the rate, but they are still paying the same rate that they were paying the translators in the 90s and this rate is still "higher than the c... See more
As pointed out by several colleagues, among other factors, price plays a big role here. I recently stopped working for an agency which has been responsible for more than 80% of my workload over the last 5 years or more. They are a very professional and trustworthy company, but even they cannot buck the downward trend of translation rates. They didn't reduce the rate, but they are still paying the same rate that they were paying the translators in the 90s and this rate is still "higher than the current market rate".

So, for me, there is a big drop in amount of work when I decided not to continue to work for my single biggest client, in fact, my decision has effectively put a stop to my translation career. But for whoever succeeded me, he/she would have just the opposite experience (a sudden influx of work that used to come to me).

[Edited at 2019-07-19 05:12 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Decline in work overall

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Termsøk
  • Jobber
  • Forumer
  • Multiple search