What to do when your point of contact in an agency cuts off contact
Thread poster: Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:59
Japanese to English
Aug 13, 2019

I had been in communication with a PM in a agency earlier this summer as we were discussing my participation in a project expected to start sometime this month or so. She sent me an email on July 25 about my availability for said project and I responded, but never heard back from her. I contacted her once or twice after that, and tried to get in contact with *someone* at the agency through both their “contact us” on their website and their general inquiry email, but I have yet to reach an ac... See more
I had been in communication with a PM in a agency earlier this summer as we were discussing my participation in a project expected to start sometime this month or so. She sent me an email on July 25 about my availability for said project and I responded, but never heard back from her. I contacted her once or twice after that, and tried to get in contact with *someone* at the agency through both their “contact us” on their website and their general inquiry email, but I have yet to reach an actual human.

Should I give up and move on? Should I be wary of this agency in the future? Should I leave a review on Blueboard?
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Put yourself in the PM's shoes Aug 13, 2019

If Blueboard entries were written for every agency that didn't respond, it'd be completely useless!

Put yourself in the PM's shoes: they're trying to manage a large project and find available linguists usually for many projects at once.

It's great that you were contacted but they might have found someone else who responded quicker or who was cheaper (usually the case). They might even still contact you again, but after this many weeks it's unlikely.

It'd be
... See more
If Blueboard entries were written for every agency that didn't respond, it'd be completely useless!

Put yourself in the PM's shoes: they're trying to manage a large project and find available linguists usually for many projects at once.

It's great that you were contacted but they might have found someone else who responded quicker or who was cheaper (usually the case). They might even still contact you again, but after this many weeks it's unlikely.

It'd be more of a concern if they'd confirmed the job with you, you'd started, and then they disappeared...

When you have more regular clients the occasional big job from a random agency will be something you can try fit into your regular schedule or decline if you can't fit it in.

Hope this helps, DJH.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Lidija Klemencic
Morano El-Kholy
Willy Martinez
Andy Watkinson
Mário Costa

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No BB Entry for negotiations/tests only Aug 14, 2019

Hello Matthias,

it happens relatively often that a professional is contacted for a larger project, sometimes various details are discussed and then no more. This doesn't necessarily mean that that agency is not reliable. Perhaps another agency got the job, who knows.

Apart from that, according to BB rules (spec. 1.3):

"You may only make entries for clients with whom you have worked on a project and to whom you have delivered work on time and without compla
... See more
Hello Matthias,

it happens relatively often that a professional is contacted for a larger project, sometimes various details are discussed and then no more. This doesn't necessarily mean that that agency is not reliable. Perhaps another agency got the job, who knows.

Apart from that, according to BB rules (spec. 1.3):

"You may only make entries for clients with whom you have worked on a project and to whom you have delivered work on time and without complaints related to quality. You may not make entries solely on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary interactions."

Giuliana
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Jennifer Forbes
Morano El-Kholy

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:59
French to English
. Aug 14, 2019

Move on certainly.
It's perfectly normal for them not to get back to you if they've decided to work with someone else who's a better fit for them, for whatever reason, or if their own bid for a job has been rejected. They don't then bother to inform the 20-odd translators they had sounded out. They may have sounded eager but that means nothing until you've signed a contract or accepted a PO.
Once I've sent a quote I try not to think of it any more, then if ever the client gets back
... See more
Move on certainly.
It's perfectly normal for them not to get back to you if they've decided to work with someone else who's a better fit for them, for whatever reason, or if their own bid for a job has been rejected. They don't then bother to inform the 20-odd translators they had sounded out. They may have sounded eager but that means nothing until you've signed a contract or accepted a PO.
Once I've sent a quote I try not to think of it any more, then if ever the client gets back to me, it's a lovely surprise, and if they don't, it doesn't matter.
It's so rare to hear back that your quote has not been accepted, that if ever I do, I get really excited seeing they've contacted me, then I'm really disappointed to read that it's a rejection letter!
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:59
French to English
. Aug 14, 2019

PS if you try contacting anyone and everyone at the agency because your point of contact is not responding, you'll get a reputation for pestering, so it's best to avoid that.

It could be that that PM is off sick or whatever, but in that case someone else will be accessing their inbox.

[Edited at 2019-08-14 06:20 GMT]

Angela Malik
Morano El-Kholy
Vera Schoen

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Easy solution Aug 14, 2019

Phone her.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:59
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A frustrating part of the job Aug 14, 2019

As others have said, it happens. It's frustrating and quite rude, but what can you do? Pestering them certainly isn't professional. I would advise you to wait a while - until you have something positive to offer them - and then write an email. Tell them about some new skill, service or experience you have. Or let them know you'll be available over the coming holiday season, or some other useful bit of information. Keep your name alive in their memories, for all the right reasons.

Morano El-Kholy
Kevin Fulton

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Move on Aug 14, 2019

Matthias Hirsh wrote:

I had been in communication with a PM in a agency earlier this summer as we were discussing my participation in a project expected to start sometime this month or so. She sent me an email on July 25 about my availability for said project and I responded, but never heard back from her. I contacted her once or twice after that, and tried to get in contact with *someone* at the agency through both their “contact us” on their website and their general inquiry email, but I have yet to reach an actual human.

Should I give up and move on? Should I be wary of this agency in the future? Should I leave a review on Blueboard?

I think you put too much store in that first contact. It is quite common for someone to contact you and you respond but you never hear from them again. Who knows what is happening at the other end - maybe the end client decided not to go ahead with the project, maybe the project was put off temporarily or indefinitely, maybe the PM chose other translators. A first approach by an agency you have never worked with before is always tentative. Just continue with your regular work and wait and see what happens. Don't phone, email or otherwise pursue them, its not professional. If you would like to work for this clients, you could follow Sheilah's suggestion to include them in a general email to all your contacts about your availability at holiday time.

Angie Garbarino
Iwona Budzynska MCIL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when your point of contact in an agency cuts off contact

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »