Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sorry, Gilles, but... Aug 20, 2019

Gilles Wandel wrote:

Registering as self-employed and close it up may cost me almost the whole salary for this job (in Belgium, if I remember well, we pay for the status every quarter, and I guess I'd have to pay for the whole quarter)

... if registering as self-employed costs you almost the whole salary for this job it’s a clear sign that you are underselling yourself.

Gilles Wandel
Gilles Wandel
Belgium
Local time: 10:16
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Teresa, Aug 20, 2019

You are right to point it out. My calculation was, in fact, incorrect. 3 months of social security contributions is not nearly as high as the salary I asked for this job.

I am not underselling myself. The price fixed was not very high, but reasonable. I refuse to work for extremely low translation rates.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Trying to fix things the other way around? Aug 20, 2019

If the T&C of your client were included in the agreement that led you to carry out this project by a certain date for a certain fee and adhering to particular specifications (i. e., the purchase order, regardless of the subject line of the e-mail or title of the document), then it seems clear that you are bound by your client's T&C.

You can't make an agreement and then unilaterally change that agreement after the fact. If the client also failed to include their T&C up front, then t
... See more
If the T&C of your client were included in the agreement that led you to carry out this project by a certain date for a certain fee and adhering to particular specifications (i. e., the purchase order, regardless of the subject line of the e-mail or title of the document), then it seems clear that you are bound by your client's T&C.

You can't make an agreement and then unilaterally change that agreement after the fact. If the client also failed to include their T&C up front, then the situation is different, and I don't see why the client would be able to retroactively force their T&C on you unless maybe you somehow clearly misrepresented your situation. Theoretically, conflict might lead to a positive resolution if no T&C were part of the original agreement.
On the other hand, your client's confusion seems understandable: As someone who has never lived or worked in Belgium, I'm having trouble grasping the logic of the whole situation, even though it is clear to me that this is due to a lack of knowledge on my part and not any confusion on yours.

On the other hand, why don't you try to work things out by going to your proxy? After all, you are effectively their customer (you are paying them to do something for you): They should be trying to keep you happy and this surely isn't the first time that something like this has happened. Can't they waive their T&C in this case?
Collapse

Gilles Wandel
Gilles Wandel
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Michael, Aug 20, 2019

My client never submitted any T&Cs clearly during the agreement, except for a few things exclusively related to the translation process. The agency's director detailed his concerns and I have forwarded them to my employer. They seem to worry mainly about the invoice payment deadline, potential additional costs and VAT charges.

I am a bit relieved because delaying the invoice payment is not a problem; there are no additional costs; and VAT will not be applied under VAT reverse charg
... See more
My client never submitted any T&Cs clearly during the agreement, except for a few things exclusively related to the translation process. The agency's director detailed his concerns and I have forwarded them to my employer. They seem to worry mainly about the invoice payment deadline, potential additional costs and VAT charges.

I am a bit relieved because delaying the invoice payment is not a problem; there are no additional costs; and VAT will not be applied under VAT reverse charge. It seems to be a matter of trust more than anything. I am confident that my employer will reassure them about those issues.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. It is a pleasure to see that this community stick together and that its members do their best to help each other.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency won't accept invoice sent by a proxy

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »