https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/338191-do_you_begin_a_translation_before_its_confirmed-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you begin a translation before it's confirmed?
Thread poster: Bethany Kachura
Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Local time: 16:32
Chinese to French
+ ...
it depends Oct 24, 2019

It depends on the client.
If your client is used to give you confirmed jobs, why not, there is high probability to get the job anyway.
But for new clients, it is not your best choice.

Tom in London

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 14:32
Japanese to English
Double-check before starting Oct 24, 2019

Like others in this thread, I've been burned before by starting before final confirmation and by clearing my schedule for a job that never came through. If you're really eager to start, email or call the client/project manager and get a firm go ahead first. Don't start without that confirmation, no matter how certain you are. Unless you like working for free.

writeaway
Josephine Cassar
Tom in London

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
Don't start without confirmation Mar 7, 2020

If the client says "I will check with the end client", this is not in any way any type of confirmation. Agencies are fickle and are often sending emails out to 10+ translators to see who has the best rates or who responds the most quickly. If you start, you are just looking to waste your time and not get paid anything.

Even if it is a known client, it is best to wait for an official purchase order before starting.
Make sure you get paid for your work. If you don't get paid it
... See more
If the client says "I will check with the end client", this is not in any way any type of confirmation. Agencies are fickle and are often sending emails out to 10+ translators to see who has the best rates or who responds the most quickly. If you start, you are just looking to waste your time and not get paid anything.

Even if it is a known client, it is best to wait for an official purchase order before starting.
Make sure you get paid for your work. If you don't get paid it would have been better to just watch TV instead of translate.

[Edited at 2020-03-07 05:00 GMT]
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Estimates Mar 12, 2020

Very often one of my regular agency clients may email me to ask if I'm available for a job, and attaching the text so that I can take a look at it and confirm how much time I'll need to do it.

That is NOT confirmation of the job. The agency still needs to negotiate a deal with the end user. These deals often fall through - so it's advisable to wait for final confirmation.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you begin a translation before it's confirmed?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »