Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:17
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What does your contract say? Aug 8, 2012

I assume you signed some sort of contract/agreement with this agency besides the NDA, that details your responsibilities in case of quality complaints. In reasonable contracts, it is customary for the translator to agree to correct any identified mistakes for free, if they are presented within a reasonable timeframe. Pay reductions and requests for paying for proofreading as the default solution for quality problems is usually frown upon by the professional community, and many translators refuse... See more
I assume you signed some sort of contract/agreement with this agency besides the NDA, that details your responsibilities in case of quality complaints. In reasonable contracts, it is customary for the translator to agree to correct any identified mistakes for free, if they are presented within a reasonable timeframe. Pay reductions and requests for paying for proofreading as the default solution for quality problems is usually frown upon by the professional community, and many translators refuse to sign contracts with such clauses. (You can search the forums for discussions on this topic.)

So, I am curious to know what your contract says.
Katalin
Collapse

english-germ (X)
english-germ (X)
Local time: 20:17
English to German
+ ...
Agreement Aug 8, 2012

The translation was already updated by the proofreader and they also told me that I did not need to implement the updates into the files again. So this is not the problem.

I had to sing a lenghty contract in Dutch language, which I understand. Still some meaty and tricky formulated little phrases could evade my attention about the highly explosive consequences they could have.

In a section there is a a quite nebulous passage saying that they reserve the right to pay le
... See more
The translation was already updated by the proofreader and they also told me that I did not need to implement the updates into the files again. So this is not the problem.

I had to sing a lenghty contract in Dutch language, which I understand. Still some meaty and tricky formulated little phrases could evade my attention about the highly explosive consequences they could have.

In a section there is a a quite nebulous passage saying that they reserve the right to pay less or not at all:

"The fee will not or will not entirely be due if the Agency is of the opinion that the Contractor has not properly delivered, which will be demonstrated on the basis of the translation industry quality assurance forms, including but not limited to the LISA QA Form."

That is probably exactly the reason why they needed to scam me with this LISA QA cheat sheet...
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You signed the agreement, right? Aug 8, 2012

I am sorry to say this, but you should have read the contract that they asked you to sign, before you signed it. To me, the clause you quoted would have been a red flag, and I would not have signed the agreement without further discussion about it.

Do you want to work for this agency again? I doubt it. So just chalk it up to experience, and move on. I am sure you have better things to do.

Best regards
Katalin

[Edited at 2012-08-08 21:55 GMT]

english-germ (X)
english-germ (X)
English to German
+ ...
Flawed assumptions Aug 9, 2012

If I had assumed that the agency was going to interpret their agreement clauses in a malevolent way, I would not even have bothered to apply.

What a waste of time and ressources if they have to hire and contract a new translator for every single project! All the reading, printing and scanning of paperwork for signed contracts!

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Contracts, no assumptions Aug 9, 2012

In business, there are no assumptions, only contracts.
Especially for first-time clients/business partners.
Especially over the internet.
Especially over country/cultural borders.
And it goes both ways.
They have to protect their own interests, and so do you.
It is better to ask and clarify than assume.

I am sorry that you had to learn the hard way.
It would be nice if you could enter a Blue Board comment, however the claim of quality pr
... See more
In business, there are no assumptions, only contracts.
Especially for first-time clients/business partners.
Especially over the internet.
Especially over country/cultural borders.
And it goes both ways.
They have to protect their own interests, and so do you.
It is better to ask and clarify than assume.

I am sorry that you had to learn the hard way.
It would be nice if you could enter a Blue Board comment, however the claim of quality problems the agency brought up prevents you from doing so.
Be more careful next time.

Katalin
Collapse

english-germ (X)
english-germ (X)
English to German
+ ...
crime not legal interest Aug 22, 2012

"Protect their own interests" this is a little bit relative - we are rather talking about daylight robbery and cybercrime. Anybody in the EU or another western democratic state would agree that providers cannot be treated in this third world way and have their services extracted for free and so this is not only a business dispute any longer but crime.

This is apparently an elaborated scam and they have built up their scam scenario in an artful manner. They even advertised with prete
... See more
"Protect their own interests" this is a little bit relative - we are rather talking about daylight robbery and cybercrime. Anybody in the EU or another western democratic state would agree that providers cannot be treated in this third world way and have their services extracted for free and so this is not only a business dispute any longer but crime.

This is apparently an elaborated scam and they have built up their scam scenario in an artful manner. They even advertised with pretentious "social responsibility programs". Still an agency that talks loud about their donnations and keeps quiet about their non-payment issues does not really make the world a better place.

I just want to avoid that other freelancers will run into this trap too.

Due to security reasons, I cannot reveal details about the company in the public forum but I will be willing to offer support for freelance translators working with the Dutch language if they send me a private massage through proz.
Collapse

Wojciech Sztukowski
Wojciech Sztukowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
LISA, LISA... Oct 27, 2018

I have seen good translations that would fail LISA because of two or three actual errors (often accidental mistakes) and poor translations that were perfect according to LISA due to lack of actual errors. In general: there is some correlation between LISA result and translation quality but only an unreasonable outsourcer would rely on LISA and not an experienced professional's opinion as regards making a decision on the actual quality of a translation (would you prefer a scratched Mona Lisa or a... See more
I have seen good translations that would fail LISA because of two or three actual errors (often accidental mistakes) and poor translations that were perfect according to LISA due to lack of actual errors. In general: there is some correlation between LISA result and translation quality but only an unreasonable outsourcer would rely on LISA and not an experienced professional's opinion as regards making a decision on the actual quality of a translation (would you prefer a scratched Mona Lisa or a perfect kitsch?). Nevertheless, I've met such unreasonable outsourcers more than once.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LISA QA Model

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »