ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:02
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 11, 2019

Hi,
I started out using Cafetran creating too many glossaries.
So my question: is there a simple way to merge several glossaries into one?
Thanks for your answer,
Irene

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Glossaries folder Jan 11, 2019

Hello,

You can copy your glossaries to a folder, and then, in CafeTran, use Glossary > Glossaries folder (enable), then Glossary > Add glossary and select the folder.

After that, it is just a matter of saving the glossary. You can add it to the Dashboard for easy reuse in the future.

As a matter of precaution, I suggest you just check that all use the same source and target languages/language variants.

Jean

[Edited at 2019-01-11 14:16 GM
... See more
Hello,

You can copy your glossaries to a folder, and then, in CafeTran, use Glossary > Glossaries folder (enable), then Glossary > Add glossary and select the folder.

After that, it is just a matter of saving the glossary. You can add it to the Dashboard for easy reuse in the future.

As a matter of precaution, I suggest you just check that all use the same source and target languages/language variants.

Jean

[Edited at 2019-01-11 14:16 GMT]
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 11, 2019

Thank you, Jean!
This strategy sounds very straight forward.
In order to do this, would you advice to open a "fake" (empty) project just so as not to accidentaly compromise an existing project?
Irene

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Existing project or dummy project Jan 11, 2019

Irene,

If you use an existing project, you can simply close the new glossary tab once you have saved it as intended. This way, that resource won't be loaded automatically if you reopen the project in the future.

Otherwise, you can create a dummy project (in the same language pair) or just close the Dashboard (Dashboard menu button > Close Dashboard) and proceed from there, with no project loaded. In all cases, you have to set the correct language pair in the Dashboard w
... See more
Irene,

If you use an existing project, you can simply close the new glossary tab once you have saved it as intended. This way, that resource won't be loaded automatically if you reopen the project in the future.

Otherwise, you can create a dummy project (in the same language pair) or just close the Dashboard (Dashboard menu button > Close Dashboard) and proceed from there, with no project loaded. In all cases, you have to set the correct language pair in the Dashboard when doing so.

Jean

[Edited at 2019-01-11 14:22 GMT]
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Jean Jan 11, 2019

Thank you for your great help!

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
  Jan 11, 2019

You are very welcome!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Advanced feature: You can arrange your glossaries before merging them Jan 12, 2019

You can arrange your glossaries before merging them. That way you can determine the order of the target terms for each source term. The first target term will be used for auto-assembling.

Assign letters or numbers to the names of your glossaries to create an order. The highest number (letter) should contain the target terms that should be used for auto-assembling (that should be displayed as the first translations).

So, if you have three glossaries, named a, b and c:

c

b

a

Combining them will give you:

d

Then you choose the command Glossary > Merge alternative translations:

e

If you have hundreds of glossaries to combine, you can use a dedicated file renaming tool or the corresponding feature in a file manager like TotalCommander or Crax Commander.

[Edited at 2019-01-12 07:19 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Rons CSV Editor highly recommended Jan 12, 2019

If you're on Windows, I highly recommend managing glossaries in https://www.ronsplace.eu/products/ronseditor

which is basically a text editor capable of displaying delimited txt files (tabulated, csv, etc.) like in a spreadsheet, so you can see what you are doing, move columns/rows around, filter stuff, etc.

2019-01-12_09-13-37

Michael

[Edited at 2019-01-12 14:31 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso 2019 offers what you need Jan 12, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

If you're on Windows, I highly recommend managing glossaries in https://www.ronsplace.eu/products/ronseditor

And if you still need more, on a Mac, have a look at: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-csv-editor/id1171346381

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 14, 2019

Many thanks to all of you for your help! I'll give it a try as soon as I have finished my current project and installed the latest version of Cafetran.
Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging glossaries

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »