Thread poster: Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
English to French
Jun 11, 2020

Hello all,

- I was sent a TM in SDLTM format. When I open the file in Cafetran (via either Memory > Open Memory, or Memory > Import > Import SDLTM Memory TM... leaving all settings on default), I only see a fraction of the 5128 translation units the file contains (5169-5218). What am I missing?

- Also, is there a technical difference between the two commands? Both seem to be doing the same thing and to be yielding the same results, at least in this case.

-
... See more
Hello all,

- I was sent a TM in SDLTM format. When I open the file in Cafetran (via either Memory > Open Memory, or Memory > Import > Import SDLTM Memory TM... leaving all settings on default), I only see a fraction of the 5128 translation units the file contains (5169-5218). What am I missing?

- Also, is there a technical difference between the two commands? Both seem to be doing the same thing and to be yielding the same results, at least in this case.

- The Memory menu has an Import Glossary function (Memory > Import > Import Glossary). Does that command perform the exact same function as Glossary > Add Glossary?

I'm a bit confused by the duplication of commands in the UI and the slightly different nomenclatures between related functions e.g. "Add glossary" (which performs an import function) and "Import MS Excel glossary".

Thank you advance for any light you can shed on this!

GL.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gregory Jun 11, 2020

Gregory Lassale wrote:
I was sent a TM in SDLTM format.

More free options to convert SDLTMs:
- Thomas van Nellen's tool (Java) (new URL)
- Jean-Philippe Odent's WfConverter (Windows only) (abandonware, but you can have my copy, here)

[Edited at 2020-06-11 16:32 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
. Jun 11, 2020

What happens if you deselect "Read-only" (assuming it is enabled by default) when importing via Memory > Import > Import SDLTM Memory TM?

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
read-only Jun 11, 2020

@Jean

"Read-only" is disabled by default. I enabled it and CT is now displaying TUs 5159-5208, but 5169 and beyond are not even the same asa when Read-only is disabled.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
  Jun 12, 2020

1. In CafeTran, the default Project page size (Preferences > General) is 50. This means that up to 50 TUs are being displayed on the Grid at any given time. If a project is bigger than 50 TUs, you can navigate between them as "pages".

The same goes for TMs. You can navigate between TM pages with the forward and back buttons (or right click inside the TM pane and choose Back/Forward).

You can also conduct a concordance search (and the default number of shown occurrences
... See more
1. In CafeTran, the default Project page size (Preferences > General) is 50. This means that up to 50 TUs are being displayed on the Grid at any given time. If a project is bigger than 50 TUs, you can navigate between them as "pages".

The same goes for TMs. You can navigate between TM pages with the forward and back buttons (or right click inside the TM pane and choose Back/Forward).

You can also conduct a concordance search (and the default number of shown occurrences is 100 - Preferences > Memory).

2. Memory > Open Memory is for opening TMX files. Memory > Import > Import SDLTM Memory TM is for importing SDLTM files. When you use this import function, the SDLTM is converted to TMX. You can then save the TMX (if the converted TM is not set as read-only) via Memory > Save as and open that subsequently as a TMX.

If they yield the same results, maybe CafeTran is able to convert SDLTM to TMX when you use the Open memory action as well. I have never tried it as I use the Import action instead for SDLTMs.

3. Memory > Import > Import glossary is for importing a tab-delimited text glossary to a TM with "store fragments" TM option enabled, since CafeTran can be set to store segments AND/OR fragments. In effect, a TM for storing fragments is a termbase.

Glossary > Add glossary is for opening an existing glossary as a (tab delimited text) glossary (not a fragments TM - termbase).

All such actions are explained in the help tips and further details can be found in the following reference document: Menu and interface - https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/2-Menu-and-Interface

Let me know if that helps

PS: You can ignore my earlier "read-only" comment.

[Edited at 2020-06-12 01:16 GMT]
Collapse

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
resolved Jun 12, 2020

Thanks a lot, Jean.

I thought it might have something to do with navigating between navigation. For what it's worth, I tried the Van Nellen TMX converter and it missed 7 TUs.

I confirm that Memory > Open Memory does import SDLTM files as well, so that command can be used no matter the TM format, it looks like.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
  Jun 12, 2020

Thanks for confirming this, Gregory. I will add this information to the reference document at the next update, to avoid any confusion!

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
sure Jun 12, 2020

For sure.

Another quick question, related to the quick search bar. Is there a way to clear the recent searches history? I searched the wiki but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
. Jun 13, 2020

Hm, good question, I don't have an answer to that one.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
There is no way Jun 13, 2020

Gregory Lassale wrote:

For sure.

Another quick question, related to the quick search bar. Is there a way to clear the recent searches history? I searched the wiki but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

The entry in this bar is remembered between sessions. There is no way to make CafeTran Espresso forget the entry.

It would be nice if toggling this bar via the keyboard shortcut, would also reset (empty) the bar.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLTM file - showing partial units only

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »